Looking for the name of a novel, 70s post-apocalypse stuff

Francis Sandow

I'm looking for help coming up with the name of a book I read back in the mid to late 70s, set in a post-apocalyptic future where the people worshipped 60s and 70s rockers as gods. It was actually pretty bad I think but a friend brought it up recently and it's driving me nuts that I can't remember the title. Something like "The Chronicles of Festival" or "The Legend of Festival". Lots of drugs, sex, and violence: appealed to me when I was 16. Sound familiar to anybody?

Vertigo, thanks, that is the one! Yes, it was bad, almost embarrassed to admit I read it. Can't believe someone got it that fast.

Well not read it myself but I'm fairly used to searching on that site and your description was pretty distinctive :)

I read this one and didn't think it was bad at all. Survivors make the pilgrimage to Woodstock as a path to adulthood. Usually carrying "the family piece" with its highly polished , decades old, bullets - and hoping they won't have to use it. I thought it was a gripping yarn

I read this one and didn't think it was bad at all. Survivors make the pilgrimage to Woodstock as a path to adulthood. Usually carrying "the family piece" with its highly polished , decades old, bullets - and hoping they won't have to use it. I thought it was a gripping yarn
I rather liked it too. It was set in Britain, though; so it wasn't Woodstock that pilgrims went to. Probably Reading or Glastonbury.

Doh! Long time since I read it. Thinking back it maybe was Reading.

" It is the distant future, when all that remains of the ancient ways is a collection of sacred black discs which contain the words and music of the great prophets who lived before the disaster: Dhillon, Djeggar, and Morrizen, the fabled lizard-king"

Last edited:
If the rather small genre of 1970s post-apocalypse rock festival SF appeals then you might also check out The Time of the Hawklords by Moorcock and Butterworth

Awesome ! Cheers Hitmouse, I'd vaguely heard of this book but never looked into it. Book one of a loosely linked trilogy. Am trying now to get 'em all. Thanks again

It is a period curiosity rather than great lit, but fun nonetheless. I never got hold of the sequel (was not aware of a third book.)

Just been google on Mick Farren the texts of Festival author and was somewhat surprised to realise already I own an mp3 of his. Mick Farren and the Deviants -- playing with fire. Too many over-achievers popping up in my awareness nowadays!

Just been google on Mick Farren the texts of Festival author and was somewhat surprised to realise already I own an mp3 of his. Mick Farren and the Deviants -- playing with fire. Too many over-achievers popping up in my awareness nowadays!
Also by Mick Farren and worth a look is The Quest of the DNA Cowboys trilogy (There was also a fourth book in the series but I haven't read it) and The Song of Phaid the Gambler.

Also by Mick Farren and worth a look is The Quest of the DNA Cowboys trilogy (There was also a fourth book in the series but I haven't read it) and The Song of Phaid the Gambler.

Just now downloaded ( from a prob illegal site ! ) the DNA cowboy trilogy and am searching for the others. Thanks for the info

I've got The Song of Phaid the Gambler, it's not a bad read though it feels like a series of slightly disconnected vignettes at times.

Back