Need help identifying a fantasy novel!

DBS78

I read a fantasy novel about 15 or 20 years ago- and I think it was about 15 or 20 years old at that time- and I cannot remember the title. It was about a young man (I think he was poor, or a villager, etc) who braved a Keep (I very specially recall them using that word, over and over) that was rumored to have a great treasure inside. The catch was that he had to defeat the demon/goblin king and his army that had taken over the keep. I think they froze, or made into statues, the questers that had come before him. I also think he had help from others, maybe people he found in the keep? There was magic, and sword fighting, for sure. Also, I beleive the demon army guys opened portals within the keep, on the different levels, to keep him from advancing. When he got to the inside room, after finally fighting his way there, he had to defeat the massive demon king. I recall that he did, and they had a huge treasure room, more then they could ever spend, etc.
I cannot remember the title of this book, and it is KILLING me! It is a stand alone book, not part of a series, and not from a popular author- I think. Can anyone help me?! Please? :confused:

Well, based on your description, I think we can rule out The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. :D