Destroyer of Worlds

Vlad Tepes

I have just finished reading Destroyer of Worlds, the sequel to Fleet of Worlds and Juggler of Worlds, which were written in collaboration with Edward Lerner. I generally enjoyed the book but found that some parts of the story were quite illogical, particularly those involving the captured Pak and the singleship.

Why would a paranoid Ausfaller continue taking a brilliant, dangerous enemy with a talent for escape on sensitive missions?

How could Thssthfok move from the Don Quixote to the singleship fastened outside while the ships were moving in hyperspace? The Don Quixote is a cylinder, so there would be no significant amount of flush wallspace between the two. Although Einstein space enfolded both vehicles, outside the Don Quixote's hull there would still have been vacuum to cause a noticeable pressure loss in the Don Quixote, and a view of hyperspace as well.

Why would Ausfaller, or anyone else, have a fueled-up singleship with its nozzle pointing inward inside the Don Quixote while people were pulling out and examining the control components? I had to put down the book for a while in disgust over this last bit of narrative failure to honor the characters' intellegence and personalities.