October - Horror Month

Not to take things too far off-topic, but... I'd say there's a good deal more to Barthes (and to Derrida) than they are sometimes given credit for by most readers. And I'm not sure one could really explain what they're getting at without that approach....

Picked the final three books for the month:

Sleepwalker, by Michael Cadnum
Nearly People, by Conrad Williams
Kwaidan, Lafcadio Hearn

So all of the horror in October will be from new-to-me authors. Looking forward to it.

Picked the final three books for the month:

Sleepwalker, by Michael Cadnum
Nearly People, by Conrad Williams
Kwaidan, Lafcadio Hearn

So all of the horror in October will be from new-to-me authors. Looking forward to it.
What happened to the other two you mentioned (earlier in the thread)?

I read Kwaidan not so long ago and thought they were wonderful ghost stories from japanese folklore. I must read more Hearn.

I read Kwaidan not so long ago and thought they were wonderful ghost stories from japanese folklore. I must read more Hearn.

I got a beautiful newer edition of the book, all full-color, glossy pages with a ton of art.

I got a beautiful newer edition of the book, all full-color, glossy pages with a ton of art.

I had an old battered copy that worried me it would fall to pieces before i finished the collection :p

Next time i read him i will buy a fine classic paperback Hearn book!

I would also suggest reading his Fantastics, but that one is rather difficult to come by, and generally expensive. I see one paperback going for $12.99, but it is a print-on-demand book, so they quality may be fine, or may be garbage....

Given the nature of that story, I rather doubt it, as such a title as "The Dreamland Bride" would be completely misleading. "Spirite", perhaps, might fit... but that's a short novel; though this could, of course, be a self-contained excerpt from it.

With a little research, I can say for sure that it's La Morte Amoureuse. The misleading title is from 1936, so it's understandable but still not excuseable.

With a little research, I can say for sure that it's La Morte Amoureuse. The misleading title is from 1936, so it's understandable but still not excuseable.

Interesting. And oh, my, what a surprise the reader would be in for with a title such as that... and very quickly, too!

THE MONSTER CLUB proceeding quite nicely. Different and, I think, original. The Monster Family Tree diagram on page 61 may have been done before but I've never seen it. Am constantly reminded of Philip Jose Farmer, his writing style and the way he twists ordinary things into his panorama of logical strangeness. Me likem lot.

I've finally decided on the King and Simmons novels.

Cujo and Song of Cali.

Simmons i must give a second chance with one of his weird, horror novels.

I found his Hyperion to be the most overrated SFF book i have read. The worst thing being the book was dedicated to Jack Vance....

I found his Hyperion to be the most overrated SFF book i have read. The worst thing being the book was dedicated to Jack Vance....

Shouldn't that mean that only Vance can judge it properly?

Hmmm...that's disappointing. I would say give him another chance, especially with one of his horror books which should be very different.

I have to say though that "Hyperion" get's near universal praise, and it's been added to the SF Masterworks series. I have high hopes for it.

Hmmm...that's disappointing. I would say give him another chance, especially with one of his horror books which should be very different.

I have to say though that "Hyperion" get's near universal praise, and it's been added to the SF Masterworks series. I have high hopes for it.

It was a shock for me to see it in SF Masterwork and to hear all hype, fan acclaim for the book in SF genre afterwards. It was perfect example of complex storytelling technques doesnt make a novel any better imo. Will be interesting to see what you think of it.

I will give him a second chance not because of Hyperion because his weird, horror books sound much more interesting than his SF series.

I'm going to try to read four books next month. If all goes well:

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington
Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington
Dark Matter by Peter Straub

Just because I couldn't wait, I've already started on my horror month's reading. I'm into the second story of the Aickman collection I am reading.

"Unsettled Dust" was a relatively conventional (by his standards) ghost story set in an old English Manor house. It had it's moments but won't be remembered by me as one of his best.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Horror 10
Fried Egg Horror 35
Fried Egg Horror 27
Fried Egg Horror 46
Fried Egg Horror 30