Radio Free Albemuth the Movie

Luc Valentine

Random User
PKD's Radio Free Albemuth has garnered film festival awards and favourable reviews. So why no distributor? Here's a six post spread on RFA on a blog I literally undeleted and retooled in the nick of time.

http://www.pkdtv.net/ ...an early television themed PKD fan site I call PKDTV.

Read, comment, share, and help spread the word...I'm on a one man campaign to get film distributors to bring Radio Free Albemuth to a theatre near you!

I have been waiting to see this movie for AGES! I almost drove a long way to see it when it was at one festival or another, but unfortunately life did not permit it. It's been very very frustrating indeed to know this movie is out there, have been watching the news on it for the last year or two, but there is still no light at the end of the twisting tunnel to say when I might have a chance to watch it (and pay some cash for it to get some money to those who have taken the bold step of making this movie.)

I was kind of optimistic that the appearance of a 'name' like Alanis Morisette might increase and speed its chances of distribution and release in some accessible form, a hope that dwindled then rekindled when she appeared in Weeds, then has since dwindled again.

Must admit I would go for theater, I would go for DVD, I would go for watch online - any form to be able to view this movie!

On a related but different note, since you are behind a PKD website - what happened to philipkdickfans.com, it has vanished it seems :( Used to do some graphical work for them many many years ago.

Don't know what happened to philipdickfans.com, I may have a link to the archives, I'll see if I can find it. You can add Radio Free Albemuth to your Netflix queue, if you have Netflix; although it's not released yet, it will help get the film to the theatres and you'll be first in line to get the DVD. Hang in there, some people are still working on it, especially with The Exegesis being published soon.

Nothing left but the bare archives. I guess the site is gone for good.

So the film is indeed hoping for a theatrical release, but needs your help. If you are sick of Hollywood action treatments of PKDs thoughtful and darkly humourous work, then here is a great opportunity to show that audiences exist for more faithful adaptations.

They are on Kickstarter, I've already backed them my bit, please do the same - even if it's just a dollar, then all it would take is 85,000 PKD fans to secure a release.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elizabethkarr/radio-free-albemuth-theatrical-release

Of course, no goodies for a dollar, so why not contribute more and get something in return other than the feel-good factor that would come from supporting a movie made for love and fascination with the subject matter (though hey, giving Hollywood a kick in the nuts and saying "Quit turning my PKD favorites into pale pastiches that only care about profit and not about what it means to be human!" is worth a few dollars, surely?)

Also, I hadn't realized until the Kickstarer that Hershel Greene from "The Walking Dead" will be President Fremont - quite a change in character for actor Scott Wilson, from one of the nicest guys around to one of the nastiest - though that said, I guess the President was meant to project the friendly father-figure, so there could be a similarity there in terms of surface appearance. Thank goodness Hershel is that way through-and-through and not really something else beneath, though.

Ok enough rambling, please consider helping getting this movie out in theaters, not least because I sure want to see it ;)

Another reminder about the Kickstarter for the movie. I view it as kind of an indie movie, the budget for filming and special effects is certainly less than what you would normally see, but frankly I think that might be a good thing, keeping the focus on the story and characters. After all, I am sick to the back teeth of thoughtful, inspiring, weird and questioning works of PKD being turned into "yet another action movie".

You also get goodies too if you back them, so that's a plus! For the same price as buying the DVD you get the DVD (ha!) plus help it get out in the cinemas, hopefully at one near you. Or you can get even more goodies if you are a bigger backer.

And if you only have $1 to spare, well, it's still worth it if you are a PKD fan and want to show that the support for non-action flick interpretations of his work is out there.

Backers just got a "deleted scene" to watch, which was a short piece intended as an ending, taken out because apparently it has enough endings already. An excess of endings is not a good thing, I can see that.

Anyway, hopefully a few other PKD fans here will decide this is worth backing!

LEFT COAST - The Radio Free Albemuth Kickstarter Edition

Live the life of a struggling science-fiction writer in 1970's Southern California, surrounded by eccentric family and friends.

Left Coast is a role-playing game for 2 to 5 players. Together, you'll create a story about how to cope when the weirdness from the novels begins spilling into real life.

How hard is it to tell reality from fiction? Play Left Coast and find out! (With a special twist to the game role of the "Author")

A download currently only for RFA backers (and you get this on top of whatever other goodies you sign up for in backing!)

Not looked at it myself yet but I will be - though it appears to be multiplayer only, so not sure how that will work out, I'd need to find some other people into bizarre ideas who were interested (and had backed RFA and got this version of the game!)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elizabethkarr/radio-free-albemuth-theatrical-release/posts/508845

Newly released clip from the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1XkKpMprck

I'm having fun playing with their logo, should be able to post some of what I've come up with here once (if) I have the director's approval. Kickstarter is great for letting you actually be in touch with the folks behind the movie (or music, or whatever it is you are backing.)