Niven's Laws

antiloquax

Trans-MUTE!
Just came across this and thought it might be of interest (to those who haven't already seen it).

I am a fan of Niven - not that I have read a lot, just "World of Ptavvs", "The Neutron Star", "Ringworld" and "A World out of Time".

I also really enjoy his collaborations with Pournelle and I have read "The Mote in God's Eye", "Lucifer's Hammer" and "Footfall".

Like others (it seems) I get a bit confused with the chronology of books about Known Space. At some point I am going to read "The Protector" and "Tales of Known Space" - possibly with a bit of re-reading thrown in!

:)

;) A timeline.

http://www.chronology.org/niven/

I've been reading Niven now for mumble mumble years, and I've liked a lot of it, but feel his recent work lets down his older. There's no longer the shock of "oh, yes, that's logical" that hits you as it did in - well, the ARM stories, or ringworld. (by the way, I'd recommend against the Ringworld sequels.)

His characters are not the most rounded; frequently the universe itself is the most important one. But some of his conceptualisation…

Besides, what can you say about chocolate coated manhole covers?