John Scalzi

biodroid

Expensive Gadget User
Finished Old Man's War yesterday and must say it was pretty good, it felt a bit like Starship Troopers the movie and ended pretty quickly though. Will most likley read the other 2. I give it (****) stars.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I gave it the same biodroid and I gave the second 3 and the third 4. I think the main reason I marked the second one down a bit was that it someone seemed more about the fighting than the characters, even though it offered if anything a better opportunity to dig deep into characters.

biodroid

Expensive Gadget User
Vertigo - I must say it's a lot lighter than say Neal Asher or Iain M Banks. I prefer Neal as I have tried to read Banks and couldn't get through Consider Phlebas, but JS is not bad just too whimsical. From what I see he doesn't take himself seriously and it shows. I admit I like the wit but it's not the be all and end all of a book, to me it has it's time and place. The world building was ok, nothing impressive, and perhaps lacking throughout the book.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I think I would agree with you biodroid. An altogether lighter read than the likes of Banks or Asher. Though I would say the second and third books are a bit darker. The wit is still there but the overall feel is a bit more threatening.

It's actually something that annoys me rather. Most military SF I find tends to be somehow less consequential. Even taking Asher, I would say that Prador Moon is his closest to military SF and I would also consider it one of his lighter less consequential books (possibly along with Gridlinked). Still excellent but less weighty than most of his later books. I don't see why that should be the case but I've just done a quick scan of all the books I have clasified as Military SF in my database and I would say they all tend to fall into the lighter end of my reading. I'm also afraid that for me that judgement includes Haldeman's books.

I think if you tried Scalzi's The Android's Dream you will find the wit is still very much there and the basic premise is deliberately a bit silly but the book is somehow much darker; the humour more satirical and cynical in nature perhaps.

biodroid

Expensive Gadget User
Do the sequels to Old Mans War have John Perry as the main character?

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
However book 2 does have a familiar character linked to Perry as its main character ;)

Edit: I must get that 4th book!