Looking for story titles

Basil

Basic plot story 1 - guy crash lands on alien planet. Planet is red with magenta animals, orange plants, etc. Guy really misses color green. Only green he sees is ray from ray gun. Guy has imaginary friend that sits on his shoulder and spends his days looking for earlier crash landing site for possible parts to fix his spaceship. Finally someone lands to rescue him and tells him that Earth has been destroyed and that everyone lives on Mars now. Guy goes crazy and disintegrates rescuer and rescuers ship.

I read this story years ago and just want to find it again for my son.

Basic plot story 2 - future world where traffic is even worse than now. Highways with 16 lanes. Rush hours that never stop. Air pollution that is "better than smoking". Main character is traffic controller. Story is not big on plot but excellent setting.

I appreciate any help on finding the titles for these stories - :)

Story 1 is “Something Green” by Frederic Brown.

Here’s a potion: “The big sun was crimson in a violet sky. At the edge of the brown plain, doted with brown bushes, lay the red jungle.

McGarry strode toward it. It was tough work and dangerous work, searching in those red jungles, but it had to be done. And he'd searched a thousand of them; this was just one more.

He said, “Here we go, Dorothy. All set?”

The little five-limbed creature that rested on his shoulder didn't answer, but then it never did. It couldn't talk, but it was something to talk to. It was company. In size and weight it felt amazingly like a hand resting on his shoulder.

He'd had Dorothy for -- how long? At a guess, four years. He'd been here about five, as nearly as he could reckon it, and it had been about a year before he'd found her. Anyway, he assumed that Dorothy was of the gentler sex, if for no better reason than the gentle way she rested on his shoulder, like a woman's hand.”

You can read details matching exactly the OPs description here: Great Short Stories II: “Something Green” by Fredric Brown | ScienceBlogs

Back