Modern Military Fiction

biodroid

A.D.D.
I watched the movie Green Zone and The Hurt Locker and thought both were really good. Are there any fictional novels with these kinds of stories, preferably modern military. I also enjoyed Jarhead. I can't seem to find anything out there, I came across an author called Alex Berenson, but surely there are more.

Sorry, but the Hurt Locker sucks big time. It is not an action movie really. It is not rich or a multi faceted view into Iraq like the Green Zone is.

The great thing about the Green Zone is that it is disturbing pitting US Soldiers against US Soldiers and the conflict between diplomats, the military and the CIA and respects the ethnic divides that pitted Iraqis against each other.

Sorry, but the Hurt Locker sucks big time. It is not an action movie really. It is not rich or a multi faceted view into Iraq like the Green Zone is.

The great thing about the Green Zone is that it is disturbing pitting US Soldiers against US Soldiers and the conflict between diplomats, the military and the CIA and respects the ethnic divides that pitted Iraqis against each other.

That's because the Hurt Locker actually focusses on a team of bomb disposers and not military action. From what I read about the war in Iraq those IED's they planted are terrible of course and that also includes the civilians that live there that are affected by these unstable devices. The movie was more of character driven scenarion that shows the mental strain these guys are put under as they risk their lives everyday to protect themselves, their fellow soldiers and also foreign civilians. Not all military movies have to be about action and gun fights in Iraq, although the scene with Ralph Fiennes and the snipers was brilliant (I hope I am still thinking of the same movie).

I don't know what I'd think of them now, but I really liked some of Clancy's novels back in like 2003-2006. The Rainbow Six novels are about a spec ops military team. Insurgencies, counter-terrorism, that sort of thing. Not the same exactly as war novels with armies and things, but they were still good.

I have always wanted to read Clancy novels on kindle, but only a couple are available internationally. I also noticed that he writes very long winded books so that put me off him

I have always wanted to read Clancy novels on kindle, but only a couple are available internationally. I also noticed that he writes very long winded books so that put me off him

Yeah, some of the stuff is just huge, in terms of word count, and there will be boring stretches. But when the action gets going, it's a lot of fun.

I can't say I have read any fiction type war books. I'm not sure why as I've enjoyed movies on the topic. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker, and Black Hawk Down, but haven't seen Green Zone. But I'll be following this thread for recommendations now as well.

I do have Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden on my TBR list, but this is non-fiction (you asked for fiction, so not sure if you would be interested in that or not). I haven't read it yet, but it has very high reviews.

Biodroid, you might find some of John Ringo's stuff interesting. I would say, in particular, his Paladin of Shadows series which is more black ops stuff but seems well informed from a hardware point of view and the action is pretty kick butt also.