When it seems like things can't get much worse ...

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
... sometimes they do.

It looks like we probably will get the reverse mortgage, although I'll believe that when the final papers are signed and approved. Financially, things will probably be worse for a couple of months, and then things should be better than they are now. Not very good, but better. So that will be a relief, if it happens.

But in the last week two of my daughters have had bad news from their doctors (neither of them is the one still recovering from the death of her fiancé). Chronic pain probably for the rest of their lives, unless a doctor can think of something new to try. Neither is in a good place psychologically, but at least Megan has her little boys to bring her some joy in life, so Daisy is the one I really worry about, because I know she is feeling desperate right now.

And there is nothing I can do. Nothing at all, but try to think of alternatives that may not be there. Always before, in a crisis, we've thought of something at the last minute and squeaked by, but I don't know if we can do that this time.

So I feel helpless. All I can do is concentrate on completely unrelated things that I can accomplish, but that only takes care of the stress on the surface.

I would have posted this in Shout Your Frustrations to the World, but this goes far beyond frustration.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems Teresa. I'm sending you a virtual hug and I hope things get better for you.

From a man whose had his fair share of ups and downs, I would say try to stay positive, something nice might be just around the corner.:)

Lots of love...
Gary

Just know that you aren't alone!

My 2010 = divorce, foreclosure, and more! Yay!

:)

Find peace and joy in the little things.

Whew! You've certainly had more than your share of troubles, Teresa! In such circumstances, there's little to say which doesn't seem completely inane or at very least inadequate. I wish I had some magic words to make things better, but...

However, the others are right; you're not alone here; there are plenty of people who think highly of you and wish you well, and would be willing to help, if some way to do so becomes apparent. In the meantime, I will say that, having suffered the estrangement of one family, and seeing the disintegration of another, I would encourage them to keep in mind that they do have a family who cares, and will do whatever they can to make things better; but at very least will always be there with kind hearts and love and support... and that is no small thing....

I have no children but I can quite imagine that seeing your daughters in such pain (mental and physical) is worse than having to endure it yourself. I have no doubt that they and their doctors have investigated all methods of pain alleviation, so anything I can suggest will be useless. I sincerely hope their doctors can find something and that in the meantime the closeness of your family will be of some help to them and you.

Good luck with the reverse mortgage -- I hope the finances improve at last.

Knowing someone you love is in pain is worse than being in pain yourself. You have to know it's divine will for some reason, and all to a greater purpose Teresa. My best wishes

Thank you, everyone.

I know that it's not about me, really. They are the ones who have to live with the pain and the worsening health. But after my usually stoical daughter — the one who hardly ever calls up her parents when she has a problem — was on the phone to us weeping most bitterly, I was very frightened.

I don't know what to say. Everything seems lacking. I'm sending you a hug and will keep you in my prayers. Having a family who loves, supports and cares is an enormous step forward and it's always good to know that you do not walk alone. Take care.

The Cat has it right - you do not walk alone, Teresa. You've always got us here to share and sympathise, and even, in our small way, cheer you up.

Really sorry to hear this Teresa. Wishing you strength, and better fortune.

Last edited:
May they have a complete recovery and be completely healthy and well. Doctors can be wrong.

Doctors are often wrong, that's why they call it a General Practice. My brother-in-law is a doctor and, if it helps, I can get some advice from him. My sister, his wife, is also a medical practitioner and she suffers from chronic pain, which might suggest that they have some understanding of pain and ways to treat it. If you want some further assistance PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Other than that, stay well. (U)

The problem is that they have both seen many doctors, and came to the point where they had pretty much exhausted the possibilities that were open to them, in the same week.

However, we have all stopped reeling from the news, and for now both daughters are soldiering on.

My sympathies and condolences. It's never easy going through this kind of thing, and whatever we here can do to help, let us know.

Chronic pain probably for the rest of their lives, unless a doctor can think of something new to try.

I thought about your daughters' situation when I heard about this today. Any treatment is a way off yet, but it might provide some long-term hope. (Not sure why the article concentrates on back pain.)