Patrick O'Brian

LadyLara

Armchair Adventurer
Are there any other fans on here? I got into his books a few years ago after really enjoying the Master and Commander film with Russel Crowe. I'd never even heard of the books before then. I'm not generally interested in anything outside of sci-fi (at least in books), and certainly have never been into naval warfare in any way, shape or form. But still, I now find myself on the 9th book of the series and I have to say I have really really enjoyed them. Ironically, they're not even very much like the film that inspired me to try them out in the first place.

Outstanding books. Aubrey and Maturin are two of the great literary characters. Dialogue up there with Jane Austin.

Hornblower is adolescent fiction in comparison.

Very good books, though for my taste they got a bit repetitive towards the end. His characters are very believable, and he wasn't afraid to give them real flaws. I love the way that Jack is shown to be a bit, well, simple at times, but he's never portrayed as a buffoon, and he has real qualities to admire.

The movie... well... I knew it wasn't going to be a patch on the books, so I can't say I was disappointed, and the action scenes were very good. A couple of years ago we went over to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyards (again...) and they had a huge room with one of the Victory's original Trafalgar sails laid out, with holes where cannon shot went through it -- and they played one of the Master and Commander battle scenes. That was incredibly moving -- much more so than seeing it at the pictures.

Aaah, Jack Aubrey, that Lion at sea, and ass ashore... and Maturin, that brilliant, opium-soaked spy-doctor!

O'Brian is one of my all-time favourites. Too bad he didn't start the series in 1789, as opposed to 1805. He ran out of Napoleonic war.

I've read every book in the series. One of my favourites was The Yellow Admiral, which did an excellent job of explaining the Enclosures movement of the early 19th century. O'Brian provides a lot of social and political context for his stories, but in an non obstructing way. And his dialogue puts you in the time frame, never clanging you with any anachronisms.

Hornblower is good, but Forrester doesn't hold a candle to O'Brian.

Hey easy with Hornblower diss ;), he is a bit too melodramatic but i doubt anyone can compete Forrester when its about nautical fiction, naval historical realism.

I have the first book of Aubrey series, i just dont have time to read right now. I hope to read it next week.

Forrester has a tough time holding up his nautical realism candle to O'Brian's raging forest fire. O'Brian used actual reports to the Admiralty to do his battle scenes, and shipboard life is intensely real in O'Brian's books.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hornblower, that Captain Kirk of the 19th century waves. I read all the Forrester books when I was around 12. But O'Brian is the master of the Royal Navy historical novel, Forrester the journeyman.

I tend to have to be dragged away from my sci-fi and fantasy books kicking and screaming before I can read anything classical or historical.

I'm tempted, kind of, by O'Brian, but I don't want to like it! Or, I want to convince myself that I won't like it so I can stay with my beloved sci-fi and fantasy, lol!

How do the books score in terms of heroism and romance? If they're heavy on those that'll probably tip the scales for me, and I'll buy Master and Commander.

Coragem.

Romance as in lovey-dovey stuff, virtually nil. Jack Aubrey has *ahem* dalliances (*cough cough*) with various women who are no better than they should be, even if they aren't being paid, and he meets and marries a beautiful girl, but the scenes with the woman aren't romantic as such. Stephen Maturin meets his one great love, but their relationship which is played out over several books, is very far from roses and candlelight. It's realistic, though.

There's heroism by the bucket-load, though not always in a movie-action-thriller kind of way -- though there are occasions of that -- more doing what has to be done. Not quite stiff upper lip, but very in the Nelson tradition. And lots of fighting and full-on sea and other battles if that's what floats your boat.

Forrester has a tough time holding up his nautical realism candle to O'Brian's raging forest fire. O'Brian used actual reports to the Admiralty to do his battle scenes, and shipboard life is intensely real in O'Brian's books.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hornblower, that Captain Kirk of the 19th century waves. I read all the Forrester books when I was around 12. But O'Brian is the master of the Royal Navy historical novel, Forrester the journeyman.

Forrester did the same decades before. You can prefer O'Brian but know your facts. Forrester created his series, became fiction writer because he was meant to write naval,military non-fiction. He found his sources of the famous battles, records in The Admirality.

You can say O'Brian is the better fiction writer, i know his series cares for more than naval story. It has intellegence,spy stuff, social realism. Other things Forrester didnt focus on in his series.

Also i know O'Brian used actual reports. Frankly i dont care if you think Forrester is not the master of the field. I was just saying you cant fault him for his naval historical realism.