Anyone Know this book?

peasap

Identify this book: Guys, this has been driving me crazy for ages. I once read a Sci Fi book in the mid 80's and i would love to read it again but can not for the life of me remember the title or author. I remember a few details, sketchy at best so if anyone knows it, i would be amazed, here goes.

There's a corporation controlling a planet, the cities are protected from all the nasty stuff outside. Outside of the city, it's really bad, you will die from being eaten or something. Anyhow, there's this guy, bit of an idiot, the corporation don't like him, they want him out of the way so they mug him, and dump him outside the city some distance away. He's walking along and see's this huge gelatinous creature and feints in terror. However, the creature is amazed that some other creature would be so unafraid that he would just lay down and go to sleep in stead of fleeing.

Anyhow, the creature invades his body and becomes like a host, it wants to know more about the being that just laid down and went to sleep.

The rest is a blur but he goes back to the city and is somewhat invincible because of the creature inside of him.....That's all I remember, anyone?

A slug-like, gelatinous symbiote that makes the host immortal/invincible you say? That sounds very much like Healer by F. Paul Wilson (1976).

“Wilson's 1976 volume follows Steven Dalt, a human who fuses with an alien to become immortal. Through his intergalactic travels across the centuries, Dalt has become a legendary doctor and seems to be the only one capable of curing a mind-altering disease that is spreading throughout the universe.” Healer (LaNague Federation, book 5) by F Paul Wilson

1675637405089.jpeg

I was going to suggest Healer as well, but the details don't quite match. [ In Healer the parasite falls on his head when he enters a cave ]

Back