Creating fantasy worlds using actual history.

Rain

Reading fantasy and science fiction. Listening to
Hi all,
I'm trying to write my own, modest little novel, but I am having a little difficulty fleshing out the world. I will admit to being very influenced by The Wheel of Time series, and I want to set my world in a similar way, ie, horse and cart, villages and cities, taverns etc.
It seems to me that the series was set in pre-industrial times, and I have been researching pre-industrial Britain.
Do I need to worry about trying to be historically accurate in a fantasy novel? What feels right is looking at history and taking the parts I most like and adapting them to my world.
In no way do i want to rip off what my author heros have already done.

Reading lots of history - basically, reading outside the genre - is an absolute must. given that you're writing fiction, you have the latitude to use pieces from all over history to dreate your patchwork world. but you have to use those pieces carefully and with common sense. castles and gunpowder didn't mix very well, for example ("that wall, four cannons, blow the bugger up"). if you want a very feudal world, with small-time baronies and all the turmoil and backstabbing that suggests, look into the Dark Ages in Europe in general (circa 1000 AD). Tom Holland does a very good overview in his book Millennium.

You don't have to be historically accurate, but you do have to consider what effect tech advances would have on society/politics/warfare etc. History shows and tells you when and why things changed - not always for the better.

To be honest, I always looked at the WoT world and thought it was very simplistically set up, but that might just be me.

I think that's maybe what I liked about the WoT world, it made a good backdrop for the story and the characters rather than being the main thing. I kinda like the idea of quite a simpler world than our own, and I always like fantasy books set in that kind of world.
What i can't work out is what period of time in our history it is most close to, as that is the period i want to research.

I agree with chopper, I think it's essential you do a lot of reading to get a feel of whatever age you're setting you book in.

Yes, you can be flexible. I'm planning on having the telescope a good 50 years before it was invented in reality, but having it invented before anyone has considered making glass would be silly. You must also consider ramifications. For instance paper was, in the West, originally largely made from cloth rags (eg linen) in the Middle Ages -- but in an age where clothes are very expensive because of the sheer amount of work involved in making textiles, most particularly in spinning the yarn, there simply aren't many clothes thrown away. Only when the spinning wheel is brought to Europe, making the production of cloth cheaper and therefore increasing the volume of rags, does paper become prevalent, which allows for the printing press. So if you want cheap books, you have to consider where the paper is coming from.

I draw upon history, or at least historical cultures, all the time when worldbuilding. It's also useful for plotting if you see historical events as inspirational.

If there is magic in it, then there are limitless possibilities. That's what I love about reading and writing fantasy. The only limits would be how much magic influences the fantasy world.

You don't have to be historically accurate as long as it all hangs together and makes sense. For example you can't treat horses like animate cars - they need rest, for one thing!

What i can't work out is what period of time in our history it is most close to, as that is the period i want to research.

I haven't read WoT (not my kind of thing) but if it's generic medieval fantasy, I would suggest researching the period around 1100-1350 - after the main kingdoms of Europe emerged from the ashes of the Roman Empire but before the Black Death tore the feudal world apart.

Or as an alternative, it might be worth taking a look at the works of Guy Gavriel Kay. His material from the novel Tigana up are based on specific European countries (and events). These would give a good example of how historic settings can be used but not completely adhered to.

Personally I think there is a lot more to the WoT world than is suggested here - I can still remember some of the things that were discussed about it when it first began. But that's just me.

You might want to look up some interviews with Guy Gavirel Kay. He usually talks about how he bases his books from real history and then puts his own twists on things and the characters etc. He usually drops some good bits of worldbuilding advice.

All the advice in this thread is good. I'd also add that you shouldn't be afraid to history-mash grabbing a some elements from say 2 different time periods or cultures. I'm working on a fantasy that borrows some elements of WW2 Middle East/North Africa warfare and Napoleonic Europe.

Another author that took a real time period in a real country with real people and events and twisted then bent it all until it suited his needs, was/is Orson Scott Card in his (amazing) Tales of Alvin Maker Series.

Only Mr. Card cuts a slice of early America and creates something familiar but completely new at the same time. Historical events have different outcomes. Geographic locations have different names. Even historic figures are re-cast into new roles. Um...er... and there's magic... everywhere.