girl who can change into cat/man who changes to a bird

soccermom

I am desperately trying to remember the title of a trilogy (maybe 4 parts?) that has a gaelic flare to it. Starts with a young boy growing up with a wizard and a young orphaned girl that everyone is afraid of because she comes from old magic. Kids fall in love, boy turns out to be a prince..etc. I seem to recall that the kings must sacrifice a virgin girl to some sort of cave as well, but the young prince decides to end that horrible ritual and find some other way to save the kingdom (don't remember from what!)

In a second book, a knight must take a maiden to marry a barbarian and while they are there, the barbarian's brother turns out to be locked up because he changes into some type of bird (hawk maybe?) Maiden falls in love with him and escapes with the knight, "hawk-boy" and his "keeper" who is killed defending them. The "keeper's" last wish is for the knight to go to his daughter and say goodbye. Knight is heartbroken that the maiden loves "hawk-boy" so he agrees.

In the next book, turns out that the daughter is being badly mistreated and has her own daughter. Knight helps both escape and pays the price for it by being imprisoned (by his sister, no less).

Anyway, I remember a lot of details, but not the title. Please help. The story was decent, not stunning, but the inability to remember the title is driving me crazy!!

Sounds like The Chronicles of the Cheysuli, a series of books by Jennifer Roberson.

First book, Shapechangers.

Sounded like the opposite of Ladyhawke to me at first. :lol:

Sounds like The Chronicles of the Cheysuli, a series of books by Jennifer Roberson.

First book, Shapechangers.

Sorry...not the right book. The shape shifting wasn't the only theme...just an ability of 2 of the characters.

Any other suggestions??

Could this be the Bridei Chronicles, by Juliet Marillier? I've only read the first book of this series, The Dark Mirror, but the plot you describe rang major bells - that's pretty much how it goes.
It is the Bridei Chronicles!!! Thank you so much. I would never have found it without your help. Sorry I didn't check the forum more frequently for replies.

Back