Favourite Ray Bradbury story?

My favorite Bradbury book is Dandelion Wine. While it's not science fiction, it's also not ordinary garden variety reality. It could be called a selection of stories loosely bound together on the surface, but for me Bradbury has a way of making all the dots connect even when they can't be seen.

My favorite Bradbury book is Dandelion Wine. While it's not science fiction, it's also not ordinary garden variety reality. It could be called a selection of stories loosely bound together on the surface, but for me Bradbury has a way of making all the dots connect even when they can't be seen.
Me too and for the same reasons. I suppose it could be called Magic Realism.

Mine is not so much one of his books but one of his teleplays:

I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC which he wrote for the original Twilight Zone series.

A gentle story that combines Science Fiction (a robot grandma/nanny) with the issue of coping with grief over the death of a parent.

Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes for his longer stories.
I would say Martian Chronicles for his short stories fix up.

I know a lot of people go for There will come soft rains and also All Summer in a Day in his short story anthologies but I'm more for the longer tales

I saw The Martian Chronicles on TV (as a 3 part series) before I read it. It's probably what got me reading more Bradbury.

Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is not only perfect in the way it invokes a particular time and place, but also the way it invests even the mundane with a sense of magic, and that is before we even get to the spookiness of the carnival.

But From the Dust Returned is also a wonderful book, if somewhat episodic.

Hi, Kris.

No. It's about a small boy who is woefully normal and mortal in a household of people (?) who are neither normal nor mortal.

Randy M.

(1) "Here there be Tygers"
Makes my heart sing

(2) "A Miracle of Rare Device"
A joy.

I don't speak a word of Russian but I may have to explore that site!

Oops. Sorry, Kris. I read previous posts too quickly and thought one of yours was responding to one of mine.

Randy M.

My favorite story of his isn't even speculative--"The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl." A man has just murdered his enemy who has made the former touch many things around the house to leave fingerprints everywhere. The man goes mad and is caught trying to clean nearly every object in the house. It's kind of Hitchcock-esque.

--But as far as speculative fiction goes:
"The Sound of Thunder"
"Marionettes, Inc."
"The Veldt"
"The Long Rain"
"Black Ferris"
"Usher II"
"Fever Dream"
"The Dragon"
"The April Witch"

...Maybe I should just say that I like most things he writes.

Last edited:
Bradbury's prose tends to get on my nerves, but I read S is for Space a while ago and noted these stories down as ones I enjoyed:

Pillar of Fire
Zero Hour
The Man
The Pedestrian
The Screaming Woman
Dark They Were With Golden Eyes

I seem to recall liking Dark They Were (a Martian story) far more than anything in The Martian Chronicles.