Character called "Seed"?

pjmanning

Hi peoples.

I'm looking for the title or author of a book, published between 2005-2009.
All I can remember are a few details.
There are magical creatures that people actually themselves create by focusing on a concept. One is called Seed and his power is that he can kill children or make people sterile or something.
Meanwhile another character returns home. In his family there can only be one heir, and they must all fight to the death the very moment they know their father has died.

Thankyou so much if you can help me with this, its been driving me crazy!

Hi peoples.

I'm looking for the title or author of a book, published between 2005-2009.
All I can remember are a few details.
There are magical creatures that people actually themselves create by focusing on a concept. One is called Seed and his power is that he can kill children or make people sterile or something.
Meanwhile another character returns home. In his family there can only be one heir, and they must all fight to the death the very moment they know their father has died.

Thankyou so much if you can help me with this, its been driving me crazy!

That's (the first two books of) Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet. The magical creatures that personify concepts are called Andats, the Andat in the first book, A Shadow In Summer is called Seedless. The bits about the characters fighting to be their father's heir is from book 2, A Betrayal In Winter.

Thanks so much. You are of course exactly right. I remember these books being rather intelligently written and I'm looking forward to reading them again.

Cheers,

Phil

Back