Robert E Howard - Conan and Friends!

Have the original fragments by Howard that were later expanded, or altered as some have said, been published?

It would be interesting to compare the before and after material.

Favorite non conan story by Howard Kings of the Night .:)

Have the original fragments by Howard that were later expanded, or altered as some have said, been published?

It would be interesting to compare the before and after material.
At least quite a few of them have, yes. The Conan fragments were published in that series of volumes Donald M. Grant did back in the 1970s-80s; they've also been included in the recent Del Rey tpb editions. Ditto the Kull fragments (which were also included in the Bantam book, Kull). And they've been both expanded and altered; few of them remained as Howard wrote them; most have been radically changed.

I also prefer the more surreal and dreamlike pieces in Kull

I doubt that it's anything but coincidence, but Bob Dylan's event next month shares a title, "Shadow Kingdom," with one of the Kull stories.

1624284993120.png

If the title was Dylan's own idea rather than something suggested to him by someone in his circle and approved by him, and wasn't coincidence, it could be that this came about by Dylan looking at a recent biography of Howard, Renegades and Rogues.

I could see Howard as possibly being someone who would interest Dylan as being an interesting outside writer, and Renegades and Rogues could be a title that would've caught Dylan's interest, whose latest release was Rough and Rowdy Ways.

With Dylan -- who knows?

Last edited:
I doubt that it's anything but coincidence, but Bob Dylan's event next month shares a title, "Shadow Kingdom," with one of the Kull stories.

If the title was Dylan's own idea rather than something suggested to him by someone in his circle and approved by him, and wasn't coincidence, it could be that this came about by Dylan looking at a recent biography of Howard, Renegades and Rogues.

I could see Howard as possibly being someone who would interest Dylan as being an interesting outside writer, and Renegades and Rogues could be a title that would've caught Dylan's interest, whose latest release was Rough and Rowdy Ways.

With Dylan -- who knows?

Howard is writer who deserves both remembrance, recognition\ and appreciation.

Which Conan stories do folks think come closest to transcending the limitations of mere pulp entertainment?

It's going back to my teenage years to remember this, but if I've got the title correct, I think "the flame knife" (originally posted as an El Borak story "three bladed doom") got my vote as an example of that!

I know this years too late but, Conan The Hour of the Dragon Is a terrific fantasy novels , Its got everything, Conan is king and those around him conspire agains him in secret have revived 3000 year old villainous Wizard named Xaltolten who has his now cheese designs on the kingdoms of the Hypboran age.:cool:(y)

I will always have very fond memories of reading through the whole Conan back to back with Cthulhu Mythos (I discovered both Lovecraft and Howard as part of a literary competition back in high school).

The language is absolutely over-the-top, the ammount of magic, my biggest problem in fantasy, is just about right (there is none outside of several extremely powerful individuals), and watching Conan as a young rogue, knowing who he will become, brought a smile to my face every time.

My favorite story is probably the Black Colossus, mostly as Iove the little moments when Howard uses real, historical references (Mitra alluding to the mithraic mysteries) and for the direct forshadowing of Conans ultimate future.

I will always have very fond memories of reading through the whole Conan back to back with Cthulhu Mythos (I discovered both Lovecraft and Howard as part of a literary competition back in high school).

The language is absolutely over-the-top, the ammount of magic, my biggest problem in fantasy, is just about right (there is none outside of several extremely powerful individuals), and watching Conan as a young rogue, knowing who he will become, brought a smile to my face every time.

My favorite story is probably the Black Colossus, mostly as Iove the little moments when Howard uses real, historical references (Mitra alluding to the mithraic mysteries) and for the direct forshadowing of Conans ultimate future.

One of the writers that influenced Howard was Harold Lamb who, wrote historical adventure stories.

Conan and Friends sound like the title of a Saturday morning cartoon series straight out of 1976.

I will always fly my Howard/Conan flag high. This year I started collecting all the Conan pastiches ever published. Picked up about 30 so far.

Conan and Friends sound like the title of a Saturday morning cartoon series straight out of 1976.

I will always fly my Howard/Conan flag high. This year I started collecting all the Conan pastiches ever published. Picked up about 30 so far.

I wish Harold Lamb had written fantasy stories. He would been great at it.

Robert Howard is the author who got me to write in the first place. And he's the reason why I specifically write SFF. After reading all of Conan, Dark Agnès and Solomon Kane, I sat down to write. And writing I am still.

Queen of the Black Coast had Belit The Pirate Queen . I wish Howard had done more with her then he did. She was a wonderful character. Poul Anderson novel Conan The Liberator which is a really good Conan novel is prequel to Queen of the Black Coast.