trying to remember the name of a book series...

satia111

Probably about 20 or so years ago I read a book from a used book store - a series or a trilogy that I can't remember the name of or the author. I am hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Here are several things I remember about the book, it has been a long time sine I read it, so forgive me for not remembering more. ;)

-I believe it starts out with a small town "lottery" to choose people to leave the town with others that come to the town at certain times.
- surrounding this town is a foglike ?mist? and the ground is kinda spongy to walk on and hard to differenciate between it and the mist
- there are ley lines that these (slave traders?) use for navigation with the townsfolk from the lottery in tow.
- they come across various other towns? that are completely different in structure according to the ruler of each - some turn out to be "wizards" who can "conjure" whatever they want for their "town"

- in a sequel (prequel) it explains how humans from a time closer to our own "punched through" our universe into another and found a universe composed entirely of energy
- we attempt to terraform ?planets? and through these attempts, figure out that some people can control the energy and make whatever we want from it

That's about the extent of what I remember, like I said, it was a long time ago, so I don't remember much - but I would very much like to reread it!

Thanks in advance for whatever help any of you can give.

Welcome to the Chrons, Satia111.

This sounds as if it could be Jack L Chalker's 'Soul Rider' series; 5 books in all, which began with Spirits of Flux and Anchor (1984) and finished with Children of Flux and Anchor (1986). A great series.

If not, good luck with the search.