Should my chapters be fixed or variable length?

ingegneriae

Hello,

This is my first novel, so I was wondering if I should write all my chapters to the same fixed length or should I make them vary in their length depending on what I have to write about?

Do you folks have any opinions or advice on this matter?

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Also, how long should a chapter be?

As long as they need to be.

There is no standard length for chapters, and you can vary the length as much as you want. You end a chapter where it makes dramatic sense to you.

In my experience, a chapter is as long as it needs to be. I've seen them as short as a few hundred words, and as long as several thousand.

In my opinion, there should be a natural break at the chapter's end.

The only 'gothcha' is that you may have to force a break when a chapter threatens to become a novelette...

Hmm: In some genres, such as period detective fiction, there may be a 'formula' for what happens when, and how long chapters should be. Do your research if dabbling in such structured waters...

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I'll change my structure to variable length chapters.

I also wanted to ask, how do I avoid short chapters? I find that my writing is very compact, so I'm having trouble writing to fill the space.

And does anyone resort to filler material to fill their chapters sometimes? What is considered filler material? Is it background information or dialogue that exists to explain the characters a little more or something like that?

Filler is a bad idea. If you're only putting it there to give the illusion of content then it should be cut away.

That being said background information, conversations, scene setting are not really filler if they do their job and tell the reader what they need to know. Though don't info-dump.

My chapters are pretty big, but I enjoy using the linebreak quite often, so most of the scenes occur in 500-1,000 word vignettes. It has a cinematic feel that I like.

As always, ingegneriae, let the story be your guide. What works best for it probably is the best.

I also wanted to ask, how do I avoid short chapters? I find that my writing is very compact, so I'm having trouble writing to fill the space.

And does anyone resort to filler material to fill their chapters sometimes? What is considered filler material? Is it background information or dialogue that exists to explain the characters a little more or something like that?

Firstly, you're also looking at a VERY first draft. Don't worry about how long or short the chapters come out to be, and don't get too caught up in how compact your writing is. This is the stage where you get the WHOLE story out. Start to finish. That is, once you start the actual writing it is. If you don't have a clear idea of where you're taking it (i.e. A) Boy is abducted into mysterious segment of society. B) Boy learns the ways of mysterious segment of society. C) Boy grows up, and excels/is mediocre/has piss poor skills managing the system. D) Sub-plot: Love interest. E) Antagonist shows up to spoil everyone's fun. F) Hero uses his skills to defeat Antagonist/with the support of his friends, Hero manages to subdue Antagonist/Hero can do little to stop Antagonist, but learns that he has never been alone, and through the aid of his friends, he manages to contribute to saving the day. Etc.) then you have to be willing to step back when necessary and work out the next step. If that changes what you need in the beginning, try to make a note of it rather than trying to go back and re-write it all on the spot.

A first draft can be a few paragraphs per page sketching out for you what you want the story to be. Honestly, it doesn't need to be anything fancy, and shouldn't be expected to be anything fancy, because if it falls short of your expectations of what it "should" be ("should" being entirely self imposed), you'll never finish a thing. Editing is when you need to worry about chapter length, writing style, the voice of the main character(s), and filler.

I mention filler, because you brought it up. Filler, as was mentioned by Robin Goodfellow, is a bad thing. A very bad thing. Because what the reader gets out of it is the sense that you had a short story to tell, and forced in useless things to make up some length requirement, self-imposed or otherwise. You call it a novel now, but a story will be as long as it's meant to be, and that might be a novella for all you know right now. Allow it to be what it will, and it may even turn out to encompass so much that it needs to be a trilogy instead. You never know until you get there, and you won't get there unless you actually let yourself write the story out in the first place.

When writing YOU are GOD. You decide on how long your chapters want to be.

Some people have 2 page long chapters. I have 20-40 pages on occasion. There is really no set rule.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. It's a slow process for me, learning all of this. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm not absorbing the advice quickly enough.

I guess I shouldn't impose an artificial length to my story, but let the story develop as it should. Although, in the initial creative process, I did create enough prototype characters and situations to ensure that I have a lot to write about.

I'm not sure how to create one character and let that one develop into several, like a tree develops branches. It's more like legos, for me. I make sure I have enough pieces at the start so that I can create something complex from simple pieces.

"... how do I avoid short chapters ?"

Have you considered dialogue ? With a little creativity and much careful punctuation, you can carry the tale forward without slabs of info-dump.

Just don't fall into the basic traps, 'As you know, Joe...'

Last edited:
Hello Nik,

Thanks for the suggestion on using dialogue. I hadn't started using dialogue really until the fourth page or so.

I was wondering, would anyone be willing to help me with my dialogue? It's not the character's lines that I have a problem with, necessarily. It's how I tell the reader who is speaking.

If anyone is available, send me a PM and I'll send you a google docs link for my dialogue. A friend of mine says I need to improve how the dialogue is delivered.

Thank you for your time.

I found I had chapters that were very short, and chapters that were quite long. It just seemed to depend on the circumstances. I really didn't sweat it; since I figured I just got it right. Maybe I could have lengthened some of the short chapters, but I really wanted to avoid padding them.

You just have to trust that you know what you're doing at some point, IMO.