I feel so empty now...

Silvio dante

I've just finished the Mallorean and am nearly in tear at my desk in work typing this. I finished it this morning and feel so sad that there'll be never be more tales about Belgarath, Garion, gentle Beldin, Aunt Pol, Silk etc. The final farewells were so beautifully written and the loose ends tied up so tenderly and lovingly...:(

I have to go back to the WOT now...:mad:

I agree - but don't worry, you can always do what I do - re-read it a million times! lol
Plus, I saw on another post you are now reading Belgarath - that's my favourite of the lot, so don't despair - you're in for a treat! :)

I agree - but don't worry, you can always do what I do - re-read it a million times! lol
Plus, I saw on another post you are now reading Belgarath - that's my favourite of the lot, so don't despair - you're in for a treat! :)

Thank you X'Nedra :)

I'm delighted to hear you think Belgarath is your favourite. I'm just 40 pages in (I'm a slow reader who dips in and out on the bus to and from work and a few pages in bed) and love it already.

I've gotten over the immediate sadness and will indeed go back to both series in the future...:)

I have reread both series countless times and I always feel sad at the end of the Mallorean.

It is such a definitive ending and you know you will never know what happens with the characters you love so much in the future.

I have reread both series countless times and I always feel sad at the end of the Mallorean.

It is such a definitive ending and you know you will never know what happens with the characters you love so much in the future.

So true. For me Beldin's departure was the most difficult to read. I was so happy for him and yet everyone knew once he flew into the sky with Vella they'd never see him again...:(

I wonder is there a case for another author taking on up the characters and giving us a progress report?

No, probably not...

I've had the Rivan Codex for a few years now but haven't really given it a chance. What is its role..?

I've just finished the Mallorean and am nearly in tear at my desk in work typing this. I finished it this morning and feel so sad that there'll be never be more tales about Belgarath, Garion, gentle Beldin, Aunt Pol, Silk etc. The final farewells were so beautifully written and the loose ends tied up so tenderly and lovingly...:(

I have to go back to the WOT now...:mad:

there's much better stuff than that, but, it is usually more adult (not in the XXX way) and much darker. Check the General Discussion stickies on Fantasy Recommendations for the Unenlightened.

there's much better stuff than that, but, it is usually more adult (not in the XXX way) and much darker. Check the General Discussion stickies on Fantasy Recommendations for the Unenlightened.

Cheers Clansman but I've read the first 13 books and will face up to Towers of Midnight. I do enjoy WOT but it is hard work...

The Rivan Codex purports to be the ancient texts, giving thumbnail sketches of the peoples, countries legends and holy books.

Unfortunately, while the text is informative, Eddings keeps butting in with his own opinions, some of which stink.

If you can ignore these interjections, it's quite interesting, certainly the religious laws i.e.

NEDRA;

Do not kill. Dead men cannot buy from thee.:D

Cheers Clansman but I've read the first 13 books and will face up to Towers of Midnight. I do enjoy WOT but it is hard work...

Towers of Midnight was really good, I enjoyed it. Brandon Sanderson has done a pretty good job of picking up the story and moving it along nicely...

Towers of Midnight was really good, I enjoyed it. Brandon Sanderson has done a pretty good job of picking up the story and moving it along nicely...

It was an absolute Mammoth taksk to take on but Gathering Storm was a very impressive handover...:)

I hate that feeling of emptiness! You're probably over it already, but this is what I usually do when I get back into the mood for some Eddings.

I start off by reading Polgara the Sorceress which ends at the beginning of the Belgariad, move on to the Belgariad, to the Mallorean, to Belgarath the Sorcerer, and back to Polgara the Sorceress. If that doesn't cure you, repeat. :)

I hate that feeling of emptiness! You're probably over it already, but this is what I usually do when I get back into the mood for some Eddings.

I start off by reading Polgara the Sorceress which ends at the beginning of the Belgariad, move on to the Belgariad, to the Mallorean, to Belgarath the Sorcerer, and back to Polgara the Sorceress. If that doesn't cure you, repeat. :)

Time is a healer but I've just finished Polgara and am at a loss again :(

I will go back though and re-read...:)

sigh... so it's a common symptom, eh? More than any other series, I really miss Belgarion and company. I really, really wish Eddings had written a bit more after Malloreon.

I'm thinking of re-reading all the Eddings books. The Belgariad was one of the first fantasy series I ever read. It's been a long time though so maybe it will be like catching up with a friend I haven't seen for a while. :)

when ever I need the sight of an old friend I re-read the Belgariad. Something about the way Eddings describes Garion's childhood with Polgara reminds me of being in from the cold, safe in a warm kitchen with your mum giving you fresh out of the oven cookies. It's sheer unadulterated comfort food for the soul.