How much time do you spend reading Literary classics versus Genre fiction?

Bick

Luddite Curmudgeon
Supporter
I’ve spent more time reading classics this year than in previous years. I made a conscious decision to try and read more classics between SF books, which do occupy me a good deal.
This year I’ve read 2 Dickens novels, 3 books by Mark Twain, a Jane Austen, Brideshead Revisted by Waugh, and a big Hugh Walpole novel from 1933 (which may not count these days). I plan to try even harder next year.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I must admit that all of my reading is genre and I dont read classics or anything high brow.

I’d like to read more classic SF though with A Canticle for Liebowitz being at the top of my list.

Bick

Luddite Curmudgeon
Supporter
I’ve spent more time reading classics this year than in previous years. I made a conscious decision to try and read more classics between SF books, which do occupy me a good deal.
This year I’ve read 2 Dickens novels, 3 books by Mark Twain, a Jane Austen, Brideshead Revisted by Waugh, and a big Hugh Walpole novel from 1933 (which may not count these days). I plan to try even harder next year.
Oh, and a fair bit of Conan Doyle too.

Extollager

I think it’s likely that I enjoy individual sf and fantasy books and short stories more because I don’t read one after the other without breaks as a rule, although I did so when I was young and just hadn’t read all that many books of any type.