Discussion -- 300 Word Challenge #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Discussion 300 Word Challenge #2

Thank you, everyone! I have to say I remain amazed, astounded, astonished, flabbergasted and generally gob-smacked, too, that so many people liked my story enough to vote for it, especially in view of the quality of all the other entries. And I do apologise for the lack of tension over the last few days. :p

Cul, don't worry. My partner was exactly the same when he read it, and it genuinely made me wonder whether it was worth posting. I knew not everyone would get the name -- though I did expect Parson to know the origin and meaning of his adversary's title!! -- and that the story as a whole would rather lose its point as a result. I hesitated over the title a long while, as I was thinking of calling it "Bringer of Light" to drive the point home, (the translation I knew instead of "bearer") though in the end I preferred the ambiguity of the ellipsis. I did debate posting a rather non-subtle hint in the Discussion thread at one point, though.

Anyway, a big thank you to those who put me on a shortlist and to those who voted for me, not all of whom I've named as I've gone through. And a massive thank you to everyone for taking part and for making our Second 300 Challenge such a success. Now for the next one!

Yay i got a vote! That's made my day :D Well done TJ, and thanks Chrons for holding these events. Was allot of fun.

Congrats Judge, a well deserved victory, quite a rout really.

Thanks Gary for the last minute vote, it is nice to get a vote, so thanks.

Very good comp this quarter, looking forward to next quarters, hmm will ti have a halloween feel to it?

Many Congratulations, TJ. :):)

(Though it is not quite matchless, I would have to say that your story seemed safe from challenge, even a late strike, from quite early on in the voting. I won't say more: I'm no Lit. critic...)

Congrats to TJ, a deserved winner with her story about the Bringer of Light, Prince of Darkness, and doubtless Lord of All Positions of the Dimmer Switch. Since her entry got well over double the votes of Aun's story about Heaven, it seems clear which power one has to please to get victory around here.

Thanks to those who voted for mine. I had no idea if I'd get any at all, and for several days after (too-hurriedly) posting it, I was scared to look at it in case it was complete cack, so the votes were a really nice surprise.

Thank you, all.

And for those wondering why there are loud groans being heard with Ursa's puns (and Aun Doorback's the other day:

[John] Walker discovered a mixture of antimony(III) sulfide or stibnite, potassium chlorate, gum and starch could be ignited by striking against any rough surface. Walker called the matches congreves, but the process was patented by Samuel Jones and the matches were sold as luciferhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer matches

Well done TJ! A runaway winner, and a brilliant story, simply told, with great impact. It's quite a relief not to have to choose the next theme, isn't it?

And many thanks to those who voted and mentioned my story. I had Aun pegged for a long time as the possible winner,(until TJ's entry) which meant I was very relieved to have three votes, as I could spread them around! The level of entries in these challenge larks do seem to be going up, don't they?:eek:

Well done TJ! Not only a fantastic story and deserved victor but an educational piece to boot (By the look of other comments) - I think that between you, Mr Milton and Marie Corelli (Who wrote 'the sorrows of Satan') light has certainly been shed on the matter!

Thanks, all!

Yes, Boneman -- a great relief not to have to think immediately of the next theme/genre! Though speaking of which, if anyone has any photos/pictures they've taken/painted/whatevered which might serve as a good inspiring image for October, let the mods see them.

I think that between you, Mr Milton and Marie Corelli (Who wrote 'the sorrows of Satan') light has certainly been shed on the matter!
I had to look this novel up** -- seems interesting. Is it worth getting?

** it didn't help that I always confuse her with Marie Lloyd, so had an initial mental image of a lubricious music hall song... :eek: :p

Great story TJ - still gives me shivers! Well done and congratulations to you.

I was a mere 22 votes behind you - so will have to work harder next time!

And congratulations from me too TJ! A well deserved win :D

Congratulations are in order, but really, 50% of the votes!?

Seems highly suspect. I demand a recount. :D

Those of us who entered the Challenge have already recounted, No One, which given the word limit was not easy.

It's... er... just that TJ recounted her story in a more winning way than the rest of us.

;):)

I'd just like to recount a story where I get 1 vote! Urgh! TJ you're so selfish, you could have gifted me like 5 votes and still walked it! I'd say I hate you but I don't. Your story was too good!! :D

I am a dunce. We've been so busy here recently, that I came close to not voting at all. In a mad dash between other things, I voted, but only for one story - HJ's. It was only a couple of days later that I realised that I'd wasted 2 votes :(

I hope to have more time in my life to contribute to the next challenge, but am glad that I didn't for this one. The stories were all so very good! I doubt I could have come close to the standard.

Big congratulations to The Judge - a brilliant story, and very deserved win :D

Status
Not open for further replies.