For Those who have Traveled.

NSMike

Tsurani Great One
Here's an idea I had for a little workshop exercise.

This comes out of frustration, actually. I enjoyed tackling the artwork exercises, so I decided to search the internet for some interesting pictures. I couldn't find ANYTHING story worthy. So, here's a little exercise that I propose: Someone post a picture from their travels (preferably architecture, landscapes or artwork) and the next person to post write a story based on it, then provide a new picture to work with. I'll start out by popping in a picture from my trip to England...
england9.jpg

Okay, now, I would suggest claiming it with a post first, and then editing it later on to include the story, so someone doesn't write a story on this picture every time, not knowing it has been claimed.

This might be complicated, but I still like it. Start cranking 'em out!

Okay, well, either no one is interested in this idea, or no one likes the picture. Tell you what, why don't we UNcomplicate this one and just write a story on that picture. If you guys don't like the picture, just tell me or something.

Alright Mike, I have a story in mind, will write it today and post. But I'm a little unclear on the picture idea. I realize I will need a picture to post following the story, but did you want it in the same post or in a different one that follows? hhhmmm.... sorry for my confusion

The fault is not yours. As I said, this idea is complicated, and I didn't really clarify that point. I suppose the best way is to keep it all in this thread, but don't let that squelch your own workshop ideas. If you want to start a thread of your own, go right ahead. Besides, not too many people seem to be interested in this anyway.

NSMike said:

~Page of a Story~

It was just simply breathtaking driving down that old highway and following the twisted path of a hand lain brick wall. At the end was a small quite little industrial town. The place was so quite it almost seemed like a ghost town. Most of the buildings were all bricked and appeared to be factories. There was a faint smell of woodchips in the air as the light puffs of smoke escaped the chimneys. Hidden behind them and a little further down the road was obvious some sort of residential area.​

I slowed my car way down and drove very cautiously through it. You never know when a dog or possible a child would jump out at you. However to my suprise there was no sign of movement anywhere. As I further started examining the houses I could see no cars in the driveways, no lights on and all the curtains in everyone’s windows were drawn shut.

"Must be a wedding? Or perhaps a church event? Things like that can make any town this size seem empty," I told myself.

About that time I noticed I was starting to get a little low on gas and this seemed like the only town for miles. I looked up a head a little ways to see if there was a gas station. Sure enough there was.

As I pulled up closer to it I started to wonder if it was open. All signs were there that would tell you it wasn't. I started to almost pull away until I seen a small little red sign that read“Open, Please come in.”

I positioned my car next to the first pumped, shifted it into park and proceeded to get out. I wasn’t really thinking or do anything to extreme and it wasn’t until I twisted off the gas cap and went to reach for the nozzle that I noticed the pump. There was an inch thick of dust on it and the thing looked like it hadn’t been touched in years by anything expect the spider that had made a home there.

I decided I better go inside and ask to see if the pumps were shut off. As I got closer it apeared to be a station/dinner combo. I opened up the door I could see that the shelves were almost bare, the wooden floor was a bit weak and it was pretty dusty. There were cob webs everywhere and the placed looked almost like it should be condemned. I started to get a bad feeling about it and decided maybe going to another station would be better.

As I was about to exit the door an elderly gentlemen came out from the backroom. He had a small cart of stuff and proceeded to stock the shelves and dust a bit. He smiled at me a little bit and asked if he could help me. I nodded and proceed to inquire about the pumps. His eyes widen to where I could see the full shimmering green as he began to talk very slow. I started to get somewhat creeped out as he told me that they don't get many vistors here, but the pumps were alright to use.

“Alright,” I thought, “ I better just do it. Filled up and get out of here. After all this place is the type of place they write about” I looked around hastily pushing the nozzle in my car as I thought a little more about my surrondings, “ Zombies, That’s what this town reminds me of Or some kind of wicked slasher movie.”

CLICK!” I nearly jumped out of my skin as I let out a small ear piercing scream and soon realize it was just the pump letting me know I was done. I sighed a bit and proceeded to walk back into the creepy station. The old man gleefully smiled as i entered and came running up the counter. Well at least a run for a man of his age. I stood there waiting for him as I fumbled around to find some change in my pockets.

Might you want a bite to eat.” A small voice whistled out from behind me.

Uh… no… NO.. That’s ok, Thanks anyways.” I stammered out trying to act calm smiling up at the old man, but he seemed uninterested in my money.

“Something wrong,” I whispered out,

I don’t want your money…” his face slowly started to shift. “The price at this station is far greater.”

I looked at the old man with wide eyes as he started to laugh. Soon his laughter got deeper and his eyes had this crazed look about them. I spun around to try to escape the situation to find myself face to face with what appreared to be his wife. I scream a little bit and which she returned a earth shattering cackle. I tossed some money on the counter with out looking back at the old man and push my way passed the woman. I stumbled out the door and fell upon the ground as I made my way to my car. Once inside I tried to start it up, but it wouldn't turn over.

That’s when I heard him again, “ Now or Later,” it was a clear as a bell “ It doesn’t matter,” I just stared at him for what seemed like an eternity as he spoke the last words “You will pay.”

Finally my car started up and I tore out of there. I didn’t notice anything else strange until about an hour down the road and a good many miles away from that place.

It started off as a small burning sensation on my hand. When I looked down I could see a circle about the size of a coin with some weird markings on it. If you ask me one resembles a dollar sign.

It has been a few years since this has happened and I have learned to deal with it as best I can. However, when ever I meet a member of the clergy they all say the same phase,

“a Condemned soul…”

Last edited:
One of the many sunset/storm/cloud pictures I have. BTW: Your idea is not complex, just some people have trouble writting on the spot. I did a thing like this on another board called picture of poetry.

Attachments

• clouds5.jpg
    clouds5.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 287
Yes, the idea is a very good one. I have seen this particular type of writing execise on a number of other sites. They seem to be very popular judging from the amount of entries.

Back