ADWD - What you believe will come to pass!

Koopa

Old KiwiBird
With the next book almost coming out i though it might be fun as to speculate at what events you believe will come to pass in the next book.
After the book came out, we can all have fun to see how much we guessed right, and were we where tottally of the mark.

For example: Osha and Rickon will come into contact with the former backbone of Robb's army. Either through Stannis, or through the ones Robb sent ahead (lady mormont and what not)

Not all of it, he had sent some part of it with Lady mormont to go around the Neck and sneak up on the ironborn, or something like that.

He sent Maege Mormont and Jason Mallister into the Neck in search of Greywater Watch and the Howland Reed. I'd love to see this part of the story in Dance, but I somehow doubt we will...

I predict that the book will end with a full on assault on the wall, told from multiple perspectives (Jon, melisandre, Davos) and spanning the last 80 or so pages and will conclude with the sound of rending ice as the Wall shatters and falls.

I've always thought that the wall MUST fall at some point in the series. It makes no sense to bang on about how undermanned the Night's Watch is and how contemptuous and disbelieving the rest of the realm are towards the supposed threat of the others for it not to. The wall needs to fall, the Night's Watch needs to die (though I'm hoping not quite to a man) and the soft lands of the south need to feel the grip of Old Night. Otherwise the prologue to a Dream of Spring will be King Petyr the First reading a missive from the newly appointed Lord Commander Pyp informing him that Lord Commander Snow, King Stannis, Queen Danny and the majority of their forces have all died horribly in a terrible battle with the others and that the Night’s Watch desperately needs men in case of further attacks. To which Littlefinger will reply, “Meh. The Night’s Watch has been dying for hundreds of years, and these grumkins didn’t even make it past the Wall. It can’t have been that bad. Sansa! Bring me my gilded moneky hat!” :D

Edd, I'm in full agreement with the bit about the wall falling, and even at that particular place as well. It's the perfect setup for WoW, and yeah, the south needs to feel the bite in an epic way. (That's what you get for screwing the guys who *actually* protect the realm. Eat it.)

I'm also guessing that Dany is going to at the very least land in Westeros and probably start her campaign there. (Just before the wall falls, good timing Dany.) It'll be interesting to see how that all goes down.

I hate Melisandre, but I'm actually somewhat looking forward to her POV chapters. Who knows what scheming she's brewing for Stannis and R'hllor.

So the crowning moment of the next book is, according to you, Lyanna and Edd, the Wall falling? It makes sense, what with its importance. But at the same time, it falling turns the story into a sort of...Zombieland. The Others can make the dead rise, yes? Can Wights turn the living into more Wights? That's the most important point here, I feel.

Nothing carved in stone and no real proof for any of it, but here goes my thoughts on ADWD:

Bran - Will find the three eyed crow who is being warged by someone else

The Wall - will not fall, in fact with the emergence of magic in Westeros, will grow stronger through its magic and spells currently holding it up

Jon - Will do what's right (purposely vague)

Dany - Will have her army organized and ready to attack at the end of ADWD along with Victarion leading the ships( BFS and Victarion fighting on the same team, can't wait)

Sansa - Will grow into a Cersie type character and kill Littlefinger

LittleFinger - Will put too much trust into Sansa to much, which will be his downfall

Stannis - Will continue to grow old and weaker until he parts ways with Mel

Mel - May team up with Dany, both have a passion for fire

Cersie - DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!

Jaime - Will get caught with his pants down sparring with Payne, and captured again

Blackfish - Will resurface and be the one who captures Jaime during his sparring with Payne

Osha - will hand Rikkon over to Wildings mistakenly by betrayal

Asha - My favorite female character. She, her husband and suckling babe will somehow team up with Arya (I truly want to see them together as a team, though unlikely)

Arya - will not regain her sight, and her warging will be enhanced similar to Bran due to his legs

Theon - Will work with the fake Arya (Jeyne Seymore) and escape his captors

I hate Melisandre, but I'm actually somewhat looking forward to her POV chapters. Who knows what scheming she's brewing for Stannis and R'hllor.

Me too. It will be interesting to see if I still feel the same about her after seeing the world through her eyes. Will I grow fond of her, actually start to like her as a person as I did with Jaime, or will I still despise her as I did/do after seeing things Cerci's way?

Hmmm interesting - I'm lacking any real thoughts myself, however;

Osha and Rikkon and Maege et al. will find Howland Reed - my skin is positively goosed with pimples.

Bran will find Benjen and the three eyed crow and possibly the secret of something else. I've a feeling some.. thing/people will end up joining him on his quest and he heads south again to try to save Jon.
Ayra... I'm intrigued - not too sure but I presume she becomes a faceless woman at some point.

We will find out what Rheagar's relationship with Lyanna is from the perspective of BFS (told to Dany) and other internal workings during the Mad kings reign.
The wall will be breached.
The Dragons will become ridable.
Cersei will have 1 more child die.
Loras will be found normal.
Nothing on the hound.
The "wizard/maester/Oldtown dude" (can't remember his name) will join with Dany (not good)
Leads up to Jon fighting a major battle with the others (probably cliff hangered to next book).
I DON"T KNOW :confused:

Hmmm interesting - I'm lacking any real thoughts myself, however;

Osha and Rikkon and Maege et al. will find Howland Reed - my skin is positively goosed with pimples.

Bran will find Benjen and the three eyed crow and possibly the secret of something else. I've a feeling some.. thing/people will end up joining him on his quest and he heads south again to try to save Jon.
Ayra... I'm intrigued - not too sure but I presume she becomes a faceless woman at some point.

I am pretty sure Benjen is the three eyed crow. Night's watchmen are crows, and it seems that, if being a warg is in the stark's blood, then it is perfectly reasonable for Benjen to be a warg as well, and perhaps that is why he chose to go to the wall in the first place.

Also, I see Hodor as becoming much more of a badass. It seems somewhat unlike GRRM to have Hodor there simply to carry Bran and be comic relief. I I think Bran will learn to use his warg powers to possess Hodor, and use him to fight. A lot of roads have led to this. Hodor has been practicing with a longsword (although he just whacks at trees). Also, we have seen Bran momentarily possess Hodor in the past. We keep hearing about how Bran always wanted to be a knight. Hodor is simpleminded, so he is easier for Bran to Warg, and he is incredibly strong.

Bran's intelligence (Maester luwin often bran was too clever for his own good) and Hodor's strength may create a knight powerful enough to defeat the mountain in single, non poisoned combat. Too bad he is dead. Or is he?

Also, perhaps Benjen is Coldhands? It fits with his warg powers, and perhaps he was killed, and that is what happens when a warg is turned into a wight . . .a wightwarg, sounds cool

I also think that Daenerys will be making a journey to old Valyria, and I imagine that she will uncover some secrets about the creation of Valyrian steel and dragonglass, since these lost arts have been incresingly mentioned in the series, and they will be necessary for the inevitable battle with the others. Who better to save the day then Dany with her army of unsullied all wielding valyrian steel and dragonglass?

Last edited:
Victarion's ships will bring Dani to Westeros

Sam will learn more of the Others and the Children in his studies, maybe even a way to defeat the others, at some point I see making some connection and hightailing back to the wall, but will he be in time? Maybe his story is linked with Arya and he returns with her in tow?

Bran steps into his powers and learns to warg properly with Hodor

I still think the wall will fall, some union with the wildlings may happen

Is Davos really dead?

The remnants of Robb's army will find the Crannogmen, they may already have as the crannogs are harrying the Lions

Maybe Mel will forsake Stannis to support the stronger Jon? I think Stannis may die in the next book

Just read an article with some info about A Dance With Dragons. Contains mild spoilers. (I'd say they were more teasers than out and out spoilers.) Read it here:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/06/dance-with-dragons/

VERY MILD SPOILERS/TEASERS AHEAD. Go away if you don't want to read them :)

From the article:

Are there any huge shocks?
That would be a “Yes.” One scene in particular will haunt you.

Also:

plus one character returns unexpectedly and that story just might be the strongest (and most heartbreaking) in the bunch.

Was the consensus vote that the character coming back was most likely to be Theon? To be honest, I don't much like Theon and don't know that I'd be heart-broken or haunted if he dies in the book (assuming that the "haunting" scene and the "heart-breaking" one are the same. Hmmm, maybe the haunting is literal, in that Benjen's deceased and turned into a wight? ;)

What does everyone else make of this?

Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!

plus one character returns unexpectedly and that story just might be the strongest (and most heartbreaking) in the bunch.

Please be Renly, please be Renly, please be Renly! :p ;)

I can hope, right?