The Season 1 Appreciation thread

The Imp

Call this the "anti-disappointments" thread. I loved the first season, and the last episode was one big goosebump.

The last episode

Mirri Maz Duur's screams asDany walked into the fire, the baby dragons, KING IN THE FRIGGIN NORTH, John's ride, Joffrey's sadiism, Arya pulling her sword, Tyrion hearing he was going to be Hand, Jaime admitting he pushed Bran.

I would have loved to have seen the TOJ, or better 3 eyed crow scenes, etc, but what a first season. I give it an A-

It must be great being GRRM right about now.

Wait.

He's in POLAND????

Anyway, great season. now we have to wait a year.

Haven't seen the finale yet, and....lol, no one would spoil it for me.

I'm so happy to hear that Dany becomes Mother of Dragons.

Seriously happy.

I've got a test, three hour class, homework and then a shift at work tomorrow...so I hope to watch it in the evening.

Or maybe I'll stay up far too late for my class.

I've adored the season from day one, but it's gotten SO much better as the season progressed that I've come to a point where I'm jealous of those who haven't read.

Brilliant.

If you tried to throw everything in that we all want, people wouldn't have cared about Ned dying because they'd have been too damn confabbled.

I thought it was handled beyond expectations.

I'm not lauding it with perfect, but it's getting a resounding clap and huzzah from me.

I would grade it as an A, if there was a TOJ and a dash of direwolves it would be an A+. I absolutely love the final scene, the music composer has to be guaranteed an emmy, along with many others. A sad day for eyebrowsgate, she doesn't lose her hair in the pyre!

Kudos to Dan and Dave for expertly and loyally bringing our favorite series to the small screen. Has anyone ever known a production team that was so utterly loyal to the books, listened and interacted with the books fans during production, for a transition such as this? For redefining the tv fantasy genre as the mainstream knows it, hopefully paving the way for future quality fantasy tv? And the acting? Absolutely A+ in that category. The production value? How about those dragons? I can go on. I was absolutely blown away by this series and cannot wait for the next season.

Fantastic!

The impossible has been achieved!

I never would have imagined they would have been able to maintain so much of the novels depth when turning the book into screen, thank heavens they chose 10 episodes instead of a two-three hour one off film!

Big grats also to all the actors, they lived up to their roles outstandingly!

Everyone, cast and crew all, stayed true to the book and I had shivers down my spine and a huge smile on my face every time the music for a new episode began!

There are not enough superlatives to tell how I feel about Season I !

Well written, well acted, well produced! Give it an A-.

The final episode was awesome! Watching Dany and zombie Drogo made me literally cry, and I'm not a crier by nature!

To echo Imp: KING IN THE FRIGGIN NORTH!

Sansa finally! "Maybe he'll give me your's!" Girl stepped it up today!

Blood of my Blood! Jorah, don't know how but you have made me like you!

Dragons!! Real baby Dragons, anybody know where I can get one?!

A further echo to Imp and Needle: KING IN THE FRIGGIN NORTH! That was probably my favorite scene to be honest! Just amazing!

The scene that was probably the most emotional for me was actually Catelyn walking silently through the soldiers, flinging herself against a tree to grieve for Ned, and then pulling herself completely together to be Robb's "mommy" and support her son in his grief. I wasn't even aware of the tears until I sniffled and my dog started licking my face and gnawing on my arm in support.

It was definitely nice seeing Sansa say "Maybe he'll give me yours" rather than just silently thinking it. She's bringing the heat in her own way. I might even end up liking Sansa in the tv series much earlier than in the books. Go Sansa!

And seeing as this is an appreciation thread, Ned's beheading and the way the left it on Arya was just absolutely beautiful!

Overall I would also give it an A-. There were a few nitpicks here and there, but overall it was absolutely amazing.

Also, zomg!DRAGONS!

Coming into it, I feared the series wouldnt meet my expectations. Although there are a couple of minor points I could nitpick at overall Id have to say I was very impressed. Particularly in how well the series was cast. Cant believe the first season is over already!! Cant wait to see more.

Agreed ! its great to have some images to put to the faces and world of westeros and it was all pulled off much better than i wouldve expected ..
Like Bunami said, i'm glad each book will (hopefully) be made into a 10 hour series and not just a feature-film though I wouldve preferred a 20 episode series =)!

I cannot wait for season 2 with the battle of blackwater and seeing tyrion lose his nose ! also Jaqen H'ghar, melisandre giving birth to a shadow, "Artstan Whitebeard", Halfhand and of course THE HOUSE OF THE UNDYING ! damn i hope they make a season for all books

Bravo!!!!
I agree with everything the Imp said. I was so concerned about the way they would show the Dragons and it was great.

I would just say they need to make Arya look more scruffy and boyish, I like how they barely showed the three men in the cage that will be heading to the wall.

Bravo HBO, Bravo!!

I am a little dissapointed about the way they presented the dragons. I hate the type of dragons with only 2 limbs...... I am also dissapointed about the number of episodes, lack of TOJ, no crow dreams and several other things. Although, considering that it could have been worse, I must say it was better that other series made from books.

Can't wait for season 2!!!

HBO really did a great job with Season 1. Each episode got successively better than the one before it, and the final episodes were fan-friggin-tastic! I thought they did a great job with the dragons, and the casting was spot on.

My only complaint is the long wait until Season 2. :p Although we should all be used to waiting by now, so it really shouldn't seem that long.

I wanna know what happens!!!

Finally just got to watch the last episode.

Sweet Mother of Mary that was awesome.

Seriously, if I had myself planned an episode that encompassed Robb being proclaimed king, Tyrion being named Hand, Jon riding beyond The Wall and Dany becoming The Mother of Dragons......I can assure you it would have been poor.

They did a smashing job.

Kudos.

Good. There were very few times when the acting rubbed me wrong, and I was saddened slightly by the lack of the hound, but otherwise very good.

A for sure.

Does anyone else think that by having 2 more episodes (12 in total) it would have been perfect? They could have added everything in. They did an absolute fantastic job of fitting everything in within the 10 episode limit, but just having a little more time to develop the characters would have been great. No complains though, looking forward to S2 and my main man Stannis.

I would've loved 12 episodes but I think the extra two would've pushed them too far over budget. Rather 10 excellent episodes than 12 good ones.

Catelyn's grieving scene just about broke my heart. The actress is simply nailing this role.

Robb's slashing at the tree made sense to me. He's still a boy in some ways but he has to carry the weight of being a leader on his young shoulders and now added to that is the pain and grief of his beloved father's violent end. Hacking away at a tree was the same as someone else tearing their hair or rending their clothes.

Or perhaps he likes to do a bit of barking...

...like the direwolves do. ;):)

HBO really did a great job with Season 1. Each episode got successively better than the one before it, and the final episodes were fan-friggin-tastic! I thought they did a great job with the dragons, and the casting was spot on.

My only complaint is the long wait until Season 2. :p Although we should all be used to waiting by now, so it really shouldn't seem that long.
Take heart Lady, as Cat would say, we are good at waiting! :)

Superb. I've enjoyed this since it started and the last 10 weeks have whistled by, it's going to be strange deciding what to do on a Monday night now.

Some fantastic memories throughout the series - the opening credits spring to mind, and the music.

The cast, even the ones that not everyone liked seemingly growing into their roles by seasons end.

The opening moments where we are introduced to the world.

Ned beheading the deserter, counterpointed nine episodes later with his own decapitation with the same sword.

The dragons.

Khal Drogo's fight in episode 8.

King of the North (Little John ;) declaring Robb)

Bronn

And the riders setting out at the end of episode 10

Sigh, how long until it's out on DVD?