What Character's Portrayal do you Like the Least?

What character's protrayal do you like the least?

• Sean Bean as Eddard Stark

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Lena Heady as Queen Cersei Baratheon

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Kit Harrington as Jon Snow

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Brandon Stark

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Aidan Gillen as Petyr Baelish (Littlefinger)

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Finn Jones as Loras Tyrell

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
I see the logic and could go with it. Oddly enough I saw the Iron Born as something akin to the Norse settlers on the Hebrides and Orkneys, not far off your assessment.

I equated the Andals with the Normans and the Northmen as Anglo-Saxons.

Ah, well if you saw the first men as Saxons then it's no surprise you heard the Northmen with Yorkshire accents...

Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark.
I always imagined her strong and mean, like Cersei. She was the Cersei of the north.
But in the show, she is portrayed as soft and gentle.

All of the characters are portrayed very nearly as I imagined them, even Sansa and Daenerys. Where I dislike their portrayals is in their development. I was not convinced by the more calculating, worldly personality Sansa was developing early in the season, and unfortunately later events only helped to strengthen this belief. As for Daenerys, Although she wears all the ornaments of a queen, there is something lacking in her behaviour and decisions, I wouldn't be surprised to discover she puts more thought into her outfits and styling than she does to actually running her cities. Now I know it is more down to the directors decisions etc. but I find it irritatingly distracting.

Just finished watching all five series of Games of Thrones after only just getting into the series this year, and although I have not read the books so far, (planning to read them) but I have read somethings on the internet and I have read that Sansa was suppose to be portrayed as a colder person in the books. However, in the tv series Sansa doesn't come across as cold but rather comes across as a sad little girl, and I was hoping that with Sansa leaving Kings Landing, It would show character growth and we did see a little, but not a whole lot.

So I am hoping that with Theon/Reeks and Sansa Jumping and if they survive and not get caught by Ramsay Bolton, we will see a very big growth in character, with the challenge will have to survive in the wild.

I don't think Sansa is cold in the books. At the beginning I think she is very naive and then as it goes through she is clearly very distressed with a deep sense of powerlessness and more than a hint of PTSD...

Sansa is how I expected her to be, and I've read the books. I think the problem more likely is that Sansa is just a bad character in both the books and the shows. We were never going to like her but that feeling is intentional.

I don't think I really have a problem with any of the character portrayals on the show.

I actually really like Sophie Turner as Sansa. She brings a lot of depth to a character that otherwise has none. Sansa in the books has always read as kind of a set piece, but I adore Sansa in the HBO series. She brings depth and grace to the character, as well as spirit and determination inherent in the Stark clan.

I'm not really sure why I chose The hound when I voted five years ago, but as of the last two seasons my new answer is Jaime.

At this point in the books Jaime is pretty much done with Cersei, In the show she's still his motivation. Well this may have changed as of the finale if I read that look he gave her right....but book Jaime had begun to see her for what she truly is well before this point in the story.

Book Jaime has become more concerned about himself, his honor, and his legacy. He spent several pages, over multiple chapters, reading and thinking about the book that records the history of the Kingsguard. Wondering what would be written on his page. Comparing himself to the knights who came before him. Comparing his feats to theirs , and seeming disappointed with the outcome.

Show Jaime shows little to no concern with how he'll be remembered, is still deeply in love with his sister, and less concerned with keeping his oaths.

Keldaris, you raise some really excellent points. I, too, haven't been super impressed with show Jaime's attitudes, since you're absolutely right that, in the book, he's totally fed up with her antics, backstabbing, and manipulation. I believe it was at the end of AFFC when Jaime got the letter from Cersei begging him to come back to KL and save her [from the Sparrows], and he tossed it into the fire.

Though, the look on Nikolaj's face as Jaime, seeing Cersei get herself crowned, and then they make that moment of eye contact, and he looks, at least to me, a little sick. Granted, it's a neutral expression and is open to any number of interpretations, but if nothing else, it was a huge think Cersei did [crowning herself] that she didn't even bother to discuss with him, the person she claims to be closest to. So maybe with the coming season, HBO Jaime will catch up to Book Jaime and walk away from Cersei and her crap.

I am surprised with all of the Sensa hate, I rather enjoy her as a character and actor. I think she is supposed to be broken and confused from her life up to this point. Remember that she was a naive child excited to be Princess/Queen and was instantly catapulted into a torturous nightmare. Not only watching much of her family eradicated but she was also subjected to the wicked perversions of Geoffrey and Ramsey. Think about what kind of vile things someone who enjoys filling a prostitute full of arrows would enjoy in the bedroom.

In my opinion, her character is supposed to be someone who is ambitious but is generally inept and doomed to failure. This whole series is supposed to be tragic after all.

I voted for Renly because he offered nothing at all to the show other than being killed by that shadow-smoke-assassin but I personally think
Daenerys is an awful character and Emilia Clarke is a terrible actress.

I personally think Daenerys is an awful character and Emilia Clarke is a terrible actress.

This x 1k.

I stopped watching GOT halfway through season 2 because of the misogyny and pointlessness of some of the brutalisations. However my sister urged me to give it another try and I find my position on characters quite fluid now I've just finished the latest season - to me by far and away the best; they should rename it to Game of Feels. ;)

It's incredible how the skills of the writers are able to make The Red Queen, The Hound, Jaime and Cersei, for example, so likeable at times bearing in mind what they have done.

But Daenerys... I just don't believe her. She (the actress) doesn't have the gravitas required of the role, and has one-dynamic when speaking. I caught some dreadful horror movie on Syfy or Horror channel some months ago and she was playing a scientist, and at the end had to do some highly objectionable 'rain dance' chant to banish the Native American demon. I was wondering who this dreadful actress was and right at the end, it clicked: Daenerys.

pH

Ah you have been watching Triassic Attack.
A quote from Wikipedia: It features no animals from the Triassic period; all three featured are Cretaceous species.

I wonder how Tamzin Merchant who was originally cast would have done. Though Tamzin had the role of Catherine Howard in the Tudors previously but does more behind the camera now. I think the choice was more based on looks rather than acting, as if it should be for a Bond girl role to Jon Snow's Bond. Dany is portrayed with very little emotion, or at least quite cold. I suppose when you cast a lot of young actors there can always be the odd one who doesn't work out so well. Not as bad as what you will see in Reign (E channel series).

Renly and Loras.

I enjoyed show Renly, especially as a counter to Stannis' constant doldrums, but he existed solely to be killed, and that does nothing for me in the long run. I never felt anything for Loras whatsoever. At all. Except that his predicament was making Margaery (Natalie Dormer) sad, which should be a crime :LOL: