What Character's Portrayal do you Like Best?

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones (HBO series)' started by TK-421, Jun 9, 2011.

?

What character is best portrayed

1. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Lena Heady as Queen Cersei Baratheon

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  5. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. Kit Harrington as Jon Snow

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Emilia Clark as Daenerys Targaryen

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  10. Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  11. Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  12. Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  13. Isaac Hempstead Wright as Brandon Stark

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  14. Richard Madden as Robb Stark

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  15. Iain Glenn as Jorah Mormont

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  16. Harry Lloyd as Vyserys Targaryen

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  17. Aiden Gillen as Petry Baelish (Littlefinger)

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  18. John Bradley as Samwell Tarly

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  19. Jerome Flynn as Bronn

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  20. Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  21. Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Miltos Yerolemou as Syrio Forel

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    TK-421

TK-421 I Do Not Sow

This is a chance to have a discussion (spoiler-free) of the actor's portrayal of some of the key characters in this first season for GOT.

Use your own yardstick to determine the criteria you use for determining this. Is it best acted? Closest to the book? Best screentime moments/scenes?

I've limited it to the top 22 characters...it was hard to stop. Given the cast, I also allowed multiple choices.

Have fun!

P.S. I made some stupid spelling mistakes above. Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Some good character portrayals in the series but my vote has gone for Arya and Tyrion.

Arya is how I always imagined her when reading the books.

Wiggum

Wiggum S.M.R.T.

Had to go with Maisie's Arya as the one that stands out as the most perfect out of a ton of great acts of casting.

Needle

Needle Arya's Whisper

I have only been reading the threads in this forum because it is very difficult for me to be "spoiler free" This one feels safe enough however!

My votes go to:
    Maisie Williams as Arya, very well done.
    Jason Momoa as Drogo, I could watch him all day! :D;)
    And I should have voted for Jack Gleeson as Joffery, his arrogance is spot on!

Wiggum

Wiggum S.M.R.T.

I was REALLY skeptical of Momoa as Drogo.

Then they let him talk.

And it was awesome.

Mesanna

Mesanna Glad to be Geek

Excellent poll TK-421! It was a little hard for me to stop clicking on people, which probably speaks to the strength of the cast!

I've gone for Arya, Tyrion, Drogo, Syrio and Jorah Mormont. I had to make myself stop after that cos it was getting silly, though I wanted to click on Robert, Ned, Sam, Tywin & Bronn too!

I don't suppose you'd consider doing another poll for what character's portrayal do you like least? (And make sure to include Renly!)

svalbard

svalbard Well-Known Member

Echo the above. Good poll. I have gone for Robb Stark. The last few episode really threw his character into the limelight and looking at previews of the next episode there is more to come.

The interactions between him and The GreatJohn were just about how I imagined them, although I was expecting a more imposing actor to play Umber.

TK-421

TK-421 I Do Not Sow

Thank you.

Mesanna: I'm not sure your votes registered.

Myself, I picked Tyrion, Viserys, Syrio and Littlefinger. I do like how Robb has been played and King Robert of course. I love Lysa Arryn but had to limit myself...

I like the idea of the least favourite poll. I'll let this one run for a little bit then post a new poll with those actors/characters that some have raised issues with their portrayal.

Mesanna

Mesanna Glad to be Geek

Doh! I think, between my multiple clicks and typing a comment, I forgot to click the Vote button. Votes submitted now! :)

Lady of Winterfell

Lady of Winterfell Foxy Lady

Favorite Authors: George RR Martin Scott Lynch
    Wow, can you imagine if we had to pick just one? :) Glad you gave multiple choices. I went for Jon, Arya, Dany, Drogo, Robb, and Jorah. I think if this poll had been put up after only a few episodes, Drogo would not have been one of my choices. But man has he done well in the most recent episodes, as has Robb. Jon, Arya, Dany, and Jorah I have liked from the beginning.

Culhwch

Culhwch Knight of the Republic Staff Member

No love for Sean Bean? I went for him, along with Kit Harrington (cool name, bro), Richard Madden, and even thoguh he's had limited screen time, Charles Dance. I probably should have voted for Jason Momoa, too, come to think of it.

svalbard

svalbard Well-Known Member

A thought on that.

When I first read AGOT(so many years ago now) Ned Stark became the most iconic character in fantasy for me. He was human, yet, had all the qualities of an Aragorn. I hope you get my meaning here. No character GRRM has created matches Ned for depth, IMHO. That is a reason I did not vote for Sean Bean. Yes, he added gravitas, but has not reached into the layers of Ned's character. This may be hampered by the fact that the writers have not included any of Ned's memories or dreams. I will stop here because it is difficult not let loose spoilers.

Tezz

Tezz New Member

Blheh tough to call who is the best portrayal , personally I really like Tyrion that character really comes through with the performance.

Maisie's Arya again is a no brainer compared with bland Sansa, also Drogo is growing on me more and more it's a shame he won't be around for long :(

Conor

Conor Time for beer

I must say I really enjoy Ian McElhinney as Se Barristan the Bold Selmy. I think he brought a real charisma to the role I didnt pick up in the books.

I was hoping he'd take down a few Lannisters on his way out in the latest episode when he was given his walking papers.

Lioness

Lioness New Member

Arya and Tyrion, definitely. I loved Arya in the books, but not so much Tyrion. The TV series has won me over.

And, well, Arya's just cool

Tezz

Tezz New Member

Also WTF !!!! Jerome Flynn is Bronn , I would never of guessed it!, Bronn is turning into one of my favorite characters.

Censure

Censure New Member

Whoa, whoa, major spoiler there. I thought these forums were supposed to be a spoiler free zone?

Tezz

Tezz New Member

Apologies, I love the books and have done for years in my arrogance I auto assume everyone knows the story...

I didnt give any details away maybe him and Jorah fall madly in love and ride off into a sandy sunset hand in hand (seeing the looks they throw each other its not outside of the realms of possibility.)

EDIT: also can't believe your first post is one acting like the internet police pulling someone up on something :(

Mesanna

Mesanna Glad to be Geek

I have to side with Censure here. These forums are not supposed to discuss future events and I think your little slip, whilst completely unintentional I'm sure, was a bit of a major spoiler! As someone who hates spoilers too, I can completely understand if Censure is feeling a bit cheesed off at the moment. :/

Maybe you could go back and edit your post and mark it as a spoiler, or change the text to a light colour so that people can read it only if they want to?

Tezz

Tezz New Member

I would edit it but some reason i don't know if it is due to the post age but i can't see the edit button any where i must be being blind if i can work out how to edit it i will