Sailor's Wife

Koopa

Old KiwiBird
There are probably a bunch of threads made about this already, but in the short time i searched for one with the search button, i couldn't find it, so i made this thread for it.

Tyrion Lannister married a crofter's daughter named Tysha many years ago.
After they married, she was whored out by Tywin. Tysha then dissapears from Tyrion's life. We know it left a scar with him, and that he still thinks about her. Now i don't think the two will ever meet again and that their story will continue, but i do believe GRRM has let us met her just for fun.

yes, like tons of others i am now 100% convinced Tysha is none other then the Sailor's Wife.

Why:
-She whores herself out, only to those who marry her. Which shows similarities to what happened to Tysha. After she was forced to become a whore/made out to be a whore thanks to tywin.
-She has a daughter of 14. If my guess is correct that Tyrion's and tysha marriage took place around 15 years ago her age matches.
-She named her daughter Lanna. An obvious reference to lannister.
-Lanna is described as having long-fine golden hair. (very Lannister-like).
-Tywin said mockingly that she went wherever whores go, it's probably one of those cases where someone says the truth without actually realizing it.

Sorry, it's been a while since I read the books - who or what is the Sailor's Wife and what is her significance?

A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly.This is a brief vision had by Daenerys in the House of the Undying, and unlike most of the others, it's a vision presently without an easy explanation.
I've read it, and i'm sticking with the Sailor's Wife = Tysha.
As for the above mentioned quote from the essay, am I the only one who thinks the corpse at the prow of the ship is in fact Aemon Targaryen, and Dany saw him because he's family? That was the connection i immediately made. Like within the second i read it.

KiwiBird I have to say I never considered this but I find myself agreeing with you whole heartedly! You make a good argument and a lot of sense.

Also it is not impossible (unlikely, but not impossilbe) that they will met again in GRRM's world because Tyrion IS headed to the Free Cities! I half expect him to meet up with Sam so why not Tysha too!

Wait!

How would Tyrion meet up with Sam who never goes near where Tyrion is heading and then ends up in Oldtown? Sam's time in the Free Cities was very short and confined to Braavos. We would of seen Tyrion in the Sam chapters in AFFC but did not.

Spoiler below of ADWD:

Tyrion is going to Pentos and not Braavos. The Tyrion preview chapter tells us much as we see him on the other side hosted by a certain "friend".

Remember the bulk of ADWD runs concurently with AFFC.

Kiwi, I think this plausible. There has been discussion on it, but I don't seem to see the thread(s) either... it's probably in a Tyrion thread.

One point against Tysha as the Sailor's Wife is that Tysha was an uneducated, simple, crofter's daughter. How did she become a multilingual, cosmopolitan, and cultured courtesan? Did she take the earnings from her first job and reinvent herself? If so, she's a very determined lady to do this as an uneducated peasant girl in a foreign land.

TK, I don't pretend to know Tyrion's path in ADWD. If he goes straight from KL to Pentos and thus towards Dany, then he won't go to Braavos. But if he did go to Braavos, then why should Sam or even Arya see him? He's in hiding. Of course, this goes both ways... why should he see them either?

Wait!

How would Tyrion meet up with Sam who never goes near where Tyrion is heading and then ends up in Oldtown? Sam's time in the Free Cities was very short and confined to Braavos. We would of seen Tyrion in the Sam chapters in AFFC but did not.

Remember the bulk of ADWD runs concurently with AFFC.
Sorry all completely spaced out that Sam was already in Oldtown.:eek:

One point against Tysha as the Sailor's Wife is that Tysha was an uneducated, simple, crofter's daughter. How did she become a multilingual, cosmopolitan, and cultured courtesan? Did she take the earnings from her first job and reinvent herself? If so, she's a very determined lady to do this as an uneducated peasant girl in a foreign land.

No no no, the Sailor's Wife was not a courtesan of Braavos, she was just one of the common whores in the Happy Port. I imagine she does speak Braavosi now, but it's not at all hard to imagine that she used the money from being gang raped to buy passage on the first ship out of there.

It would be nice to imagine that Lanna is Tyrion's daughter, and it may well turn out to be so, but she could just as easily be the daughter of one the Lannister guardsmen who participated in her rape.

Anyone remember where Shae was from? Was she Braavosi?
There was no mention of Shae being anything other than from Westeros. I'm not sure why they made her "foreign' in GOT. Maybe to give her an aura of mystery?

Last edited: