Favourite city/castle/town/region in the books

As it happens, I have done challenge rope courses before. (not headfirst with the bungee though--just in a normal harness). I think there are sections of the way up to the Eyrie that would be a lot of fun with a flying fox. Bungee out of the Moon Door would be wild. I would prefer to climb out of the Sky Cells with full mountain climbing gear! Perhaps there is paragliding potential.

Climbing up the Wall would be interesting, though I couldn't do that! Would have to take the lift and take photos.

Did a walk over hot coals once. There could be a fire attraction with "dragon eggs".

There is a lot of room for feasts (as long as there are no bowls of brown). Wasn't there a chef that was recreating some of the meals?

HJ......yup. :) It's not as hard as it sounds and anyone can if they want. Just mildly warm to the feet--and a lot of getting your head around it. Walk firmly and keep moving. It really helped that I was not the first one in the group, and the coal pit guy knew what he was doing. Google, if you don't believe.

So, you could pick up your "dragon egg" from a table at the end of the coal pit, for $49.99 (or maybe a signed copy of ADWD for $149.99)--that would be new. Dany's Dragon Challenge. This would be part of an Ice and Fire adventure weekend. :)

Walking over coals is like putting a finger in a (candle)fire.
As long as you do it fast enough, you're fine.

Kiwi is right.

Ah, maybe the Chrons could put on a writers workshop in New Mexico. The theme could be Ice and Fire. There could be a BBQ with goat, hares, lemon pies, cakes and a bowl of brown...rice. GRRM could visit and sign some copies of ADWD or do a class. There would be a pizza and beer crawl night. There would be extra tobasco Bloody Mary's or slushy margaritas. Some of his writer role playing buds could drop by and give us a demo. A viewing of the series would be seen with a discussion. There would be a side trip to see Georgia O'Keefe's digs. (okay that's art, but hey) Artists could sell their Song art. There would be a fire walk and ice carving.
There would be a quote and trivia game. Lots of stuff for sale and some painted miniature displays. A raffle winner could win Needle or Robert's Axe. The local SCA could put on a tournament. There would be a prize for the best version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair.:)
Maybe plan this for after the wild fire risk is over, or would it give it more authenticity?

Last edited:
Why don't you set it up. The Westeros convention.
If done right, you might make a good buck out of it.

PS: Just noticed i've just had my anniversary....
Been 5 years since i joined this forum. Time flies (sometimes)
Now that i'm saying random things, Boaz, did you know you're mentioned in the Bible.
I found that out recently. Pure accident, scary stuff man. I was like huh, this can't be right.
I'm seeing things. no way Boaz is a real name. Btw, i dislike religion in general, which is why i go the extra mile to read it. Just so i can properly make my arguments against those strange believers. I repeat strange believers. And some people call me strange...

Last edited:
LOL woodsman, just go easy on the lemon cakes and you'll be fine :)

Kiwi, I might be good as a creative designer, but as an event organizer...well those skills are only better than my spelling by a hair. I would open the money making opportunity to all. :).

That being said, if we were to have an imaginary convention, or a real one, where would you like to attend?

We could always have a virtual convention on line. I'll bring papaya with french lavender Snoqualmie ice cream ( the most recent yummy thing that I had) and I had a refreshing drink with lavender infused vodka and fennel or perhaps Mac and Jack's African amber ale. I would be Alleras. I've always wanted to be good with bow and arrows.Those that have GRRM's ear could invite him to a chat. I have little in the way of techinical skills to pull that off, though. Chrons could talk about their writing courses. We could have a large D&D style meeting. Who would be the DM? More important, what food or drink would you bring?

I have three bows at home (two old ones from back in the day (1970-1980), and one new with all the new gadgets, i like the old ones better, they are still like 'real' bows, instead of the preformed ones).My father once won 2nd place in a national youth competition before he got bored with it and my grandfather was part of a guild for deaces. i never much shot it though. Still it's easy enough to at least get off a somewhat decent shot, even without practice. I never understood how Samwell could have so much trouble with it.

The only difficulty is muscle strenght. Nowadays you can easily adjust this, back then he'd probably have to switch to an easier to draw bow, costing range.

That is cool Kiwi.:cool:

Can only say that I made myself one out of green sticks and twine and although it didn't work, it was fun to run around the woods when I was small, a la Robin Hood.

Took archery at camp. Muscle strength of a wet noodle at the time and not much of an eagle eye. Ah well. Best was just shooting arrows with my brothers bow almost straight up into the air. A neighbour complained. How did we all manage to stay alive back then?

However, I'm a great shot in role playing games, especially with plus two magic weapons.:rolleyes:

LOL woodsman, just go easy on the lemon cakes and you'll be fine :)

Haha it's not so much what I'm eating - the quantity is the killer:rolleyes:. I'm travelling for a bit but when I'm home I can't wait to try out some of those recipies. I love cooking outside on a fire so any excuse to do so is great. perhaps I'll post some tasty pics if everything is not too burned.

Maybe there should be a cooking book by region.

As to a WesterosCon - love the idea - I can... :eek: What is it I do again?

Since the world just got a lot bigger, I thought I'd bump this thread.

Let me say that the Dreadfort is one place I'd never want to see. It lacks a certain hospitality.

Town/City: Charles de Lint's Newford:

Newford is a fictional North American city, the setting in many of Charles de Lint's works of urban fantasy. De Lint generally avoids writing about cities that he has not been to; however, his hometown of Ottawa did not afford him the necessary freedoms for certain stories, and he began to set them in an "unnamed" big city. After several such stories, he named the city and expanded his development of it. Interestingly, Canadian readers tend to think of Newford as an American city, while Americans usually think of it as Canadian, as it incorporates elements of both. However, de Lint has stated that he chose to definitively give it the American legal system.[

Castle/House: Charles de Lint's Tamson House:

"...the house has proved to be a haven for certain individuals who might be considered "outsiders" to normal society. It has been home not only to an impressive array of poets, artists, musicians, scholars and writers, but also to those not traditionally considered to be involved in the arts, but who still communicate in terms not readily accepted as the norm. So circus performers have lived there, side by side with those involved in occult studies; it has been home to strippers and Bible students, martial arts sensei and chefs, gardeners and hedgerow philosophers; it has been a waystop for travelers from many lands as well as backpackers and hikers from closer to home"
-Spiritwalk Charles de Lint

Edit: I am sorry: when I posted this I didn't notice that this was posted in the GRR Martin forum. Please pardon my intrusion.

Last edited: