Favourite city/castle/town/region in the books

Re: Favourite City in the books

Boy howdy, I really have to put more thought into thread-starting, rather than just doing it impulsively.

I guess I should have said 'Which city/fortress/town would you like to live in?'

I did think though that everyone would agree with me re: Braavos. It's just so cool!

Depends, really. Would I speak the language? :)

Braavos is very much like a Venice or Amsterdam in my mind's eye.

The_Free_Cities_01.gif

The%2BFree%2BCities.png

The_Free_Cities_01.gif

Venice for sure - didn't really get a feeling of Amsterdam meself - but there we go. Either way it does sound very interesting and so do the Braavosi - given my fairly limited exposure to them.

I think Oldtown sounds like fun - sort of like Cambridge but with a giant tower and no &*%#@! cyclists. :cool:

The cities of Dorne or Dorne in general would be interesting though - sumat different.

I think Winterfell is the nearest they have to a city in the North as in Winter all the nearby townsfolk come and move into Wintertown and the population swells

I'd love to live in Winterfell with a the Starks of old, I'd have my own direwolf pup :)

the only "City" in the North is White Harbour.
Winterfell... it IS the largest of all the great Castles in Westeros, but it ain't a city... sorry. It certainly has a decent enough town to support it, but its certainly not a city.

For me... favourite:

City: Oldtown for sure.
Fortress: I like the IDEA of Winterfell (the great sprawling, never conquored, epic castle), but i choose Highgarden for location, size (reputedly the next biggest after Winterfell - or possibly 3rd after Storm's End) wealth, beauty and The Reach (which means - Sun, Sumptuous Food, and lots of alcohol (wine or beer or spirits). Sunspear is also a great option... hot climates don't bother me... i love the idea of the water gargens.

I always imagined it as a cross between Venice and Rhodes (if only for the Colossus). But then, I'm not really sure what Rhodes looks like, so I pretty much just imagined it as Venice with a giant statue.

I'd say Sunspear. I was originally deterred by the fact that apparently most of it is made out of mud and straw, but then I remembered how awesome Spear Tower and the Tower of the Sun are and began to imagine it as some cool hybrid of ancient Egypt and Athens.

If my imaginings are completely wrong though, I'll settle for Highgarden.

I always imagined it as a cross between Venice and Rhodes (if only for the Colossus). But then, I'm not really sure what Rhodes looks like, so I pretty much just imagined it as Venice with a giant statue.

I'd say Sunspear. I was originally deterred by the fact that apparently most of it is made out of mud and straw, but then I remembered how awesome Spear Tower and the Tower of the Sun are and began to imagine it as some cool hybrid of ancient Egypt and Athens.

If my imaginings are completely wrong though, I'll settle for Highgarden.

i always picture the southern spanish cities like Grenada or Seville for Sunspear inspiration. it accounts for the rhoynish influence on the architecture (the water gardens in particular)

the only "City" in the North is White Harbour.
Winterfell... it IS the largest of all the great Castles in Westeros, but it ain't a city... sorry. It certainly has a decent enough town to support it, but its certainly not a city.

Sorry, but I was pretty sure Harrenhal is the largest castle in Westeros. It is known.:p

If we're talking cities with canals than surely Birmingham for Braavos. Identical surely....

Sorry, but I was pretty sure Harrenhal is the largest castle in Westeros. It is known.:p

Possibly the Keep of Harrenhall itself, but the entirety of the fortress other buildings, walls, etc... Winterfell would be significantly bigger.

Possibly the Keep of Harrenhall itself, but the entirety of the fortress other buildings, walls, etc... Winterfell would be significantly bigger.

As much as I hate to admit it, Harrenhall is the largest castle in Westeros. With everything you can think of: walls, halls, towers, other buildings, the main keep ... you name it.

I suppose the best course would be to choose a city or two to live in and be a tourist once the war is over. Then I could live in Oldtown, and take holidays lazing in Highgarden (a wine tasting expedition seems in oder--sounds mighty fine), soaking up the sun in Sunspear, watching sword fights and eating oysters in Braavos, cross country skiing in Winterfell ( venison roasts anyone?), listening to the surf in Lannisport and shopping for jewelry, tourney in King's Landing in which armour and weapons are for sale, Ironborn village and I'm sure there should be a lift for the Wall, so that tourists could spend big bucks spending a night on the wall and shoot arrows off the top at targets. (the Nightwatch missed some easy revenue) Dragon rides and direwolf petting. There could be a Westeros and Friends Tourist Commision.

Maybe after Disney finishes their animated version. The upside is that it would be cleaned up, for those who are distressed by nudity, troubling characters, red blood and incest.

Sorry, it just came out that way.

Love it Eulalia! Westeros - the hottest new travel destination!

I think you forgot rock-climbing in the Vale, and trout-fishing at Riverrun!

Mesanna, I think were on to something!!

At the same time, I'm very glad GRRM made the deal with HBO.

As much as I hate to admit it, Harrenhall is the largest castle in Westeros. With everything you can think of: walls, halls, towers, other buildings, the main keep ... you name it.

perhaps i'm not reading it right in the books then. but at the least, in the Song of Ice and Fire RPG - Winterfell is descriped as having a "size and scope unmatched by any castle in Westeros." Harrenhall IS listed in significant detail, but its not listed as the biggest total castle. Certainly its great Hall is the largest in all of Westeros.

Hahaha Eulalia you should work for the WTA (Westeros Tourism Agency)! Now offering bungee jumping from the Eyrie's famous Cloud Gate!!