Duma Key

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
I've started Dumas Key today but I'm struggling to get into to it. I don't normally have this problem with King. Some of his work is so so but I still find them easy to get into. This doesn't seem to be engaging me in any way. 90 pages in should I give it up as a lost cause or stick with it?

definitely stick with it, the creep factor increasingly builds as you keep reading.

Hey, I know this has been dormant since June but I figured there was little need for a new thread so I am semi-hijacking this one.

So, how did you get on with Duma Key? Did you enjoy it? For me it was a return to form and I have enjoyed reading it twice in one year. I think it has the kind of touches that I love about Stephen King's short stories and also the vignettes he includes in his big works.

I think the stand out thing for me was the Lawn Jockey and the croc in the swimming pool. You don't have to be American to get the creepiness of that speeding statue of the lawn jockey zipping all over the place, it is as if it is genetically hardwired into us to be affected by those kind of images. There are parallels between that and the moving topiary animals in The Shining.

The book went from my brother, to me, my sis and now, even though my parents do not read this genre, the entire family makes jokes about Perse coming to get you if you don't behave. None of us are under 35 :D

Christopher

I really enjoyed this one, much more then some of his other books lately.
I found it very creepy, it's now one of my all time favourite Kings!

I don't know when this book begins to pick up but I am already on page 120 (Kindle version) where
SPOILER
Edgar is slowly making his way up the beach to meet Wireman I assume, the guy who offered Edgar a cocktail when he eventually makes it
END SPOILER.

Is this still the slow part? I am getting frustrated with this book as it still feels like it hasn't picked up for me yet.