Lord Dunsany's grandson dies

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/r...004570-death-of-edward-plunkett-lord-dunsany/

Somehow it is striking, to me, to think of this man being that close a relation to "our" Lord Dunsany, who seems to hail from so long ago.

His parents were absent during a great part of his childhood, if I remember Mark Amory's Dunsany biography correctly, so that he grew up with his grandparents. They were very close.

I kick myself for not going to Ireland to visit Dunsany Castle years ago. I have a letter from His Lordship that is a standing invitation, more or less, written in 2007.

Its not strange at all, the legendary Lord Dunsany died 1957 which isnt too long ago since he was born in 1870s. He had a long live.

Letter from the lord how ? why ?

Letter from the lord how ? why ?

I donated a couple of books -- Swedish editions of his grandfather's work -- to the castle library a few years back, and he sent me a copy of Joshi & Schweitzer's Dunsany bibliography in return along with a very nice letter.

Connavar, I was aware that Lord Dunsany died not all that long ago (but thanks for reminding me). But I think most of Dunsany's fans think of him as someone who made his mark with those early fantasies, which date from decades before 1957. The Dunsany writings that matter most (for most people) are from about 1905-1925, including six collections of tales and The King of Elfland's Daughter. (You knew that already, too.)

I'm going to revisit some Dunsany stories -- in fact, I've started that; reread "The Kith of the Elf-Folk." When I acquired Ballantine's first Adult Fantasy series collection of his stories, At the Edge of the World, as a 9th-grader, Dunsany became a favorite author. But I have hardly read him for many years. His p philosphical outlook is radically different from mine (this life is but an inconsequential dream), as is his take on fantasy (the stories are dreams). But then I don't buy Thomas Hardy's outlook and I'm rereading Tess of the d'Urbervilles at the moment.

Back