Childhood's End

I really enjoyed Childhoods' End.I read it last week.
Before this I wasn't a great fan of Clarke.
I hope it is not prophetic in any way.

I really enjoyed Childhoods' End.I read it last week.
Before this I wasn't a great fan of Clarke.
I hope it is not prophetic in any way.

2001, Rendezvous with Rama and The Sands of Mars are definitely worth reading.(y)

I watched it. It was pretty cool. Charles Dance nailed Karellen!

I thought it was great. I would love to see a a follow up story dealing with the Overlords and their mission. :)

I watched this yesterday and have been mulling it over for a while. I haven't read the book.

Firstly, kudos to Syfy for a top quality production. It was well made, with a great cast. Charles Dance was excellent.

I wonder if I missed something. Why did the overlords feel the need to take the children and destroy the Earth? I don't think that was explained at all.

I watched this yesterday and have been mulling it over for a while. I haven't read the book.

Firstly, kudos to Syfy for a top quality production. It was well made, with a great cast. Charles Dance was excellent.

I wonder if I missed something. Why did the overlords feel the need to take the children and destroy the Earth? I don't think that was explained at all.

Because like the Overlords, the adults of Earth could not ascend to become part of the overmind. The Overlords didn't destroy the Earth , rather it was the ascended children that did that . They needed to consume the earth for substance to complete their ascension.

I did not enjoy the ending to this.
It really annoyed me that the Earth was destroyed, so wasteful.
It would have been better written if the Earth was left alone so that some other species would evolve enough to also ascend one day.
Perhaps millions of years ago this had happened before, long before humans came along.
So the whole thing would be an on going cycle.
That way all life bearing planets would serve as possible nurseries to ascending life forms.

Last edited:
I did not enjoy the ending to this.
It really annoyed me that the Earth was destroyed.
It would have been better written if the Earth was left alone so that some other species would evolve enough to also ascend one day.
Perhaps millions of years ago this had happened before long before humans came along.
So the whole thing would be an on going cycle.

Bleak as it is , That's was how the story ended in the book. If you change it like you propose, it would weaken the impact of the story.

I think this ending has a better feel to it.
There's already enough bleakness in the world!

I think this ending has a better feel to it.
There's already enough bleakness in the world!

Ive read plenty of books of stories in Which I didn't like the authors chose of how to end it. In the end you have to respect choice on that score even if you don't agree with it.

Last edited:
Childhoods End for Humanity, not other species!

This happened not only on earth but other worlds. The Overlords duty is to help those races who are destined to Ascend and become one with the overmind. In that regard Childhoods end applies to other worlds though-out the universe. Unfortunately for the overlords, they themselves cannot ascend.

But to me it would be logical to allow as many potential species to evolve then ascend to enrich the overmind.

But to me it would be logical to allow as many potential species to evolve then ascend to enrich the overmind.

But to all things there comes an ending, I think that was one of Clarks points . Even Worlds must die.

You might want to check out The Golden Helix by Theodore Sturgeon. Its an excellent story.(y) It goes somewhat along those lines.

Last edited:
It does make me think that a TV miniseries for The Forge Of God could be possible.