Cancelled Apollo Missions

The Ace

Scottish Roman.
Yes, but we knew that.

It was a real pain, but I suppose the project was just getting too expensive. When you consider that a very expensive skyscraper went up and a tin can with three men in it had to be fished out of the Pacific at the end, it should surprise no-one that the bean counters got their way.

Nik

Speaker to Cats
Could the Vietnam War's escalating budget and widespread malaise have anything to do with it ??

Also, IIRC, one mission missed a killer Coronal Mass Ejection by a couple of weeks. Had that super-flare caught an Apollo crew, they might have been too debilitated to fly the return leg and die in their beds...

I still miss watching those hours of footage from the Lunar Rovers...

J Riff

The Ants are my friends..
Yup, NASA is just a wing of the Govt. They are as corrupt and liable as any of them, should be kept an eye on, esp. when it comes down to where all the money is going.
Of course, before I re-learned what was going on with this gang, I was all for the space program.

Starbeast

Benevolent Galaxy Being
Cancelled Apollo Missions, and please cancel Mars missions

Yup, NASA, where is all the money going? I was all for the space program.

The NASA rover has been on Mars for five years. My tax dollars are wasted on an remote controlled vehicle roaming around in the dirt. (sighs)

Nik

Speaker to Cats
IIRC, the ~380 kgs of assorted Moon rocks returned by the various Apollo missions (Plus the half kilo via sundry Russian robots) are still being 'mined' for valuable insights on the early solar system.

Without them, the 'Big Splat' origin of Earth / Moon we know and the 'bang dwarf planets together' route to rocky planet formation would just be wild ideas, uh, marginal hypotheses...

iansales

The Apollo programme cost each individual tax payer about $2 a year for ten years. How can you begrudge that measly sum, given what they achieved? I suspect a great deal more of your tax dollars are going on fancy weapons which will never ever be used, and which exist for no reason other than military oneupmanship.

And NASA was never corrupt. After the Apollo years, it was mismanaged and ineptly-run. But never corrupt. Besides, you can never spend too much money on science.

Starbeast

Benevolent Galaxy Being
Secret sales

I suspect a great deal more of your tax dollars are going on fancy weapons which will never ever be used, and which exist for no reason other than military oneupmanship.

That is for sure, plus, instead destroying outdated weapons, the U.S. sells them off to anyone wants to buy them. Even President Reagan admitted he didn't want to know that weapons were being sold to any country under-the-table.

Pyan

Nolite turbare mortuos qui somniant
Staff member
Supporter

Starbeast

Benevolent Galaxy Being
Return to the Moon

Ever heard of Helium-3, SB? And don't you think it's odd that, if the Moon is so useless, both the Chinese and the Japanese are making plans for lunar bases?

Yes, I'm aware other countries have interests in the Moon. I read an article a few years ago talking about plans to return and build bases. But I doubt average people will move off Earth in my lifetime, I'd imagine that may take another two to three hundred years. And hopefully by then humans will stop fighting with one another, clean up the environment and share resources.

However, there are always unforeseen circumstances like natural disasters (Earth changing it's tilt, volcanos, floods, etc.), contamination (pollution, nuclear waste, etc.) along with food & water shortages that could hinder human efforts.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
Supporter
I fully support space exploration but I always think that before man seriously colonizes other planets he can start by colonizing the sahara desert etc. Perhaps what is learned by space exploration will make that possible.

Starbeast

Benevolent Galaxy Being
I fully support space exploration but I always think that before man seriously colonizes other planets he can start by colonizing the sahara desert etc. Perhaps what is learned by space exploration will make that possible.

I highly agree, there are huge areas of land on this planet that could be used to experiment with biospheres, and if a problem happens, scientific observers would be close by to help. Hopefully, the occupents in the experiments will get along with each other, unlike in the first biosphere experiment.

However if all works out well, humans could spread out into areas on Earth that were deemed uninhabitable to minimize overcrowding.

J Riff

The Ants are my friends..
Oh, NASA was corrupt like you wouldn't even believe, as bad as the CIA, and will not address certain large issues to this day. A tiny overlooked fact. All about money, not moon shots.
And research that uhhh well never mind, it never happened. No children were fried alive like those astronauts were. There was no connection to MKUtra experiments, which(deleted) and (deleted) torture (deleted) permanent psychological damage(deleted).
Absorbing those Nazi scientists at the end of the war was a bad idea.

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
The Apollo programme cost each individual tax payer about $2 a year for ten years. How can you begrudge that measly sum, given what they achieved? I suspect a great deal more of your tax dollars are going on fancy weapons which will never ever be used, and which exist for no reason other than military oneupmanship.

And NASA was never corrupt. After the Apollo years, it was mismanaged and ineptly-run. But never corrupt. Besides, you can never spend too much money on science.

Good post, Ian.