Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet

Geary has raised the question of why competent captains are not assigned to battleships. He's also noted that the Third Battleship Division is a problem. So now I'm itching to see Geary take himself from Dauntless and put himself on as captain of the Third Division's battleship. After all, why is he remaining on Dauntless when Desjani is plainly competent? Or is the hypernet key fixed to that ship?

Also, did I miss something?
IIRC, in the second book, Desjani had an old lover rescued from the POW camp, Didn't that lieutenant get assigned to the Warrior? But Warrior was destroyed - yet there's been no mention of any impact on Desjani. Or - did I misunderstand which ship the lieutenant had been assigned to? EDIT: Just read that Warrior is still active - now am not sure which ship was annihilated before!

Last edited:
Too long since I read it to remember the details. However I do seem to remember getting a little confused around that point myself.

Just read where Riva is mentioned as being on Furious. Shame I don't have Fearless as an ebook to search the text and confirm that it was just me being confused. :)

Okay as I have the ebook version I get to be able to search and we have:
Furious was a ways off, with her once-again reconstituted task force, ready to carry off another special mission. Geary spent a moment wondering why Desjani would have had a long talk with Captain Cresida, given the time delay involved, then realized that hadn’t been who she had talked to. “How is Lieutenant Casell Riva?”
So Furious was the ship Riva was sent to.

On the commanding front, even though Geary is still only a Captain, he is the Fleet Commander and as such cannot command a ship himself; he is effectively an Admiral and Desjani is his flag captain. So he can only go to another ship if he designates that other ship as the flagship, but he still cannot command that ship himself without giving up the fleet command.

By the way it was a pain to search as it also picked up arrival (which appears a lot) and rival (which also appears quite a lot!) ;):D I wish these authors would come up with names that have truly unique letter combinations! :oops:

No worries, and cheers for looking it up - I thought Campbell had made a mistake, but it was obviously just my memory playing up.

Am really enjoying this series. Campbell is fast becoming a favourite of mine.

Funnily enough doing that search made me think I would quite enjoy reading them again sometime. But as I say, once I've wrapped up a couple of other series I'm part way through, I shall probably give the Beyond... series a whirl. I'm hoping, though, that this doesn't turn into just more of the same with aliens instead of the Syndic.

Finished Valiant last night and still very much enjoying this series. I do like the way the different threads - which began small in Dauntless - have really grown since. Especially the increasingly complexity of the internal threat, and also the relationship with the syndics.

However, as it didn't end on a cliffhanger, as Courageous did, I'm going to have to discipline myself to wait a while for the next two books in the series.