Three books, female captain, ancient museum spaceship

JDR

I am trying to remember three books I read a while ago, in the first book a crew are investigating an anceint museum style spaceship travelling close to lightspeed, they almost get trapped on it.

In the second book they find a planet with intelligent pre space life, which is going to suffer some sort of natural disaster so they try to warn the race without showing themselves fully as they don't want to taint their society.

In the third book space travel is reduced due to costs etc, a newer faster engine is invented so they take a trip featuring a visit to the planet they new originiated the anceint ship from the first book and go to the centre of the galaxy where they find a huge cloud like entity which has been trapped there and sending out comets to attract attention.

Any help is appreciated as its driving me nuts having zero luck finding these.

Last edited:
Jack McDevitt - The Priscilla Hutchins series.
The Engines of God
Deepsix
Chindi (that's your library)
Omega
Odyssey (center of the galaxy)

Exactly the ones, thanks a lot for your time, they have been driving me nuts not being able to find them, mainly just wanted to find out if their had been any further releases based on the Priscilla Hutchins series.

Hmph. He's right - THAT's the center of the galaxy novel. I'd forgotten about it.