Chamberlain, Grant and Stoddard ?

Schizodoxe

Hello,

I need help :)
It is practically certain that he [HPL] read [Houston Stewart] Chamberlain, because of resemblances in wording between his racial writings and Chamberlain'. "The Crime of the Century, in fact, reads like a paraphrase of parts of Chamberlain. Lovecraft is know to have read [Madison] Grant and probably [Lothrop] Stoddard, too ; but their books appeared only after the first Conservative.
Lyon Sprague de Camp, Lovecaft. A biography, Doubleday & Company, 1975, p. 99.

- "practically certain" ? Evidence ?
- "is know to" ? By whom ?
- "probably" ? Why ?

I don't have the Index of SL by Joshi, but I don't remember to read this names or direct allusion to this writers in SL (nor 1. in others books collecting HPL's letters, 2. in CE).

Can you help me ?

Thx.

PS : Sorry for broken english, but I'm an arrogant French :cool:

i FOUND NO REFERENCE TO ANY OF THESE GENTS IN S. T.'s Index to ye Selected Letters. In I Am Providence, Vol. I, pages 214-15, we have this:
"A somewhat more likely source is Madison Grant's The Passing of the Great Race, which was a best-seller upon its emergence in December 1916. And yet, there are also significant differences between Grant's views and Lovecraft's. Grant's basic notion is that Europe is populated by three races, the Nordic, the Alpine, and the Mediterranean; this does not correspond to analogous comments by Lovecraft, and in any event all the quotations from Lovecraft's works I have made here were written prior to the appearance of Grant's book, so that it is clear that Lovecraft's views were already well established by this time. We do not have much information on what other racist tracts Lovecraft may have read--we only know of his reading of William Benjamin Smith's The Color Line (1905) because of the dedication of 'De Triumpho Naturae' to it--but it is clear that a variety of factors (familial influences, reading of specific volumes, and the general beliefs of his community and his class) led to these views."