GOT discussion for aSoIaF readers (SPOILERS)

*Another quick google* That's what Renly looks like? This has got to be my first cast quibble, then. Don't like the look of him at all.

I definitely got the Renly/Loras thing in the book, mostly because even the small hints of the relationship made me so happy. Renly was probably my favourite character. Distraught when the horrible thing happened to him!

Should finally get around to watching these episodes so I can actually comment on stuff properly...

Heh. I've just got the green armour thing. Clever, Mr Martin. Clever.

And me too, Hoops. Gutted when that happened!

Conor, I missed it in the books too. Only found out when I read it on here a while back (a few years back actually I think!).

I so wish Renly was attractive, that scene would've been so hot. :( Loras is super pretty though, which is good.

I thought the violence was a bit much. I don't remember there being that much in the books (well, I kinda do)! That, or I'm going soft in my old age. The horse thing = yuck. Jory = yuck. Tyrion smashing the dude's face in = yuck.

Lysa's boy (I forget his name, sorry!) with the whole milk thing = super yuck. I so hope that was a fake booby!

Bronn actually looked okay. That's all.

Thanks, Mouse!
I thought that the writers had changed something.It must have been pretty subtle in the books about Renly and Loras.I normally dont miss things like that. Having said that I still fell Renly is still subdued. Guess it helps explain why Loras' sister was still a virgin.:rolleyes:

I thought the horse killing was spot on, good stunt horse!

I think the single battle with the hill people lost some punch because they had several in the books, but a good fight scene and Bronn is cast fine with me.

And thanks Imp for the anagram of Loras=orals....makes sense, I guess it went over my head!:eek:

I loved the episode. The only scenes I really missed were the Hound's scene with Sansa, the Blackfish, and Catelyn's ascent up the Eyrie.

I loved the episode. The only scenes I really missed were the Hound's scene with Sansa, the Blackfish, and Catelyn's ascent up the Eyrie.

Yes! Where was the Blackfish??? That would have given more depth to the story. Plus I think the "little Lord Arryn" should have looked more sickly.
Showing the ascent to the Eyrie would have taken only a few moments and to shorten the scene with Renly and Loras, didnt need the chest shaving lesson.

Conor, I say, respectfully, that perhaps you did need the chest shaving scene to connect the dots.:) Renly is not much like I imagined, but let's see. He's not very charming yet.
Yes, agreed that Lord Robert could have looked more sickly. Perhaps there's an extent to which they don't want to gross us out, far as that may be.
The actress who plays Lysa is nothing like I imagined, but commands the correct visceral response, none the less.
I would have liked to see the Eyrie ascent, but heck, difficult to do, don't you think, and maybe it would take away from The Wall somewhat. I liked the Eyrie prison.
I thought the Mountain, Loras and the Hound scene showed us a lot very fast.
The King's Landing sets and lighting are gorgeous.
Wiggum, maybe the army will also cheer for "The Cripple" (Bran).

I agree about Lysa, Eulalia. Boy I dislike the Tullys. Except for the Blackfish, who I also wish we'd seen!

It's probably been said, but I really like Peter Dinklage's portrayal of Tyrion. Every time I see him I feel I'm going to really enjoy the scene he's in.

Lysa, like Catelyn, was much older than I expected. (Though I suppose if one is older, the other probably should be too). I had to get used to them calling her Lie-za, cos I've always said Lee-sza.

I rather enjoyed the shaving scene, though it would have been nice if they'd stretched out the gay mystery over the remaining episodes (like a few more meaningful glances between them or some dialogue that could have different meanings). That would have had the non-bookies in a frenzy wondering if they were just friends or if there was more too it.

Also, must agree that Renly isn't as attractive as I'd hoped, because he's one of my favourite characters and, according to Sansa, he's one of the most beautiful men she'd ever seen. Serves me right for listening to Sansa!

Sansa's judgement isn't up to much on anything, really, at least in the first few books.

For some reason, I thought Lysa might be pronounced Lissa.

I think (I never know for sure, sometimes I just skim over names and my mind says them in some kind of way -- which means when someone asks me "How do you pronounce so-and-so character's name?" I actually have to think about it) that I also tended to think "Lissa" when reading.

I rather enjoyed the shaving scene, though it would have been nice if they'd stretched out the gay mystery over the remaining episodes (like a few more meaningful glances between them or some dialogue that could have different meanings). That would have had the non-bookies in a frenzy wondering if they were just friends or if there was more too it.

I did too actually, I thought it was rather romantical. Somebody said (can't remember who, sorry!!) that there was no intimacy between them before they went into the naughtiness, but that chest-shaving was pretty intimate, non?

Although I would've liked the 'mystery' stretched out a little longer too. Loved the look they shared at the tournament after Loras gave Sansa the flower.

Also, must agree that Renly isn't as attractive as I'd hoped, because he's one of my favourite characters and, according to Sansa, he's one of the most beautiful men she'd ever seen. Serves me right for listening to Sansa!
Same same same. *sigh*

(And it's plain old 'Lisa' for me!)

It seems like in the series they want to be more obvious about some things (like Renly & Loras and that a Lannister pushed Bran - the golden hair in the tower) and subtle about others (promise me Ned hasn't come up, for instance). I think it's much easier to have secrets and hints in a book then a tv series.

Makes for intriguing viewing, nevertheless!

Given that they were foreshadowing Renly's behaviour regarding who should sit on the throne, they didn't have much time to stretch the "mystery" out. The pertinent event is due any episode now, isn't it?

Ursa major said:
Given that they were foreshadowing Renly's behaviour regarding who should sit on the throne, they didn't have much time to stretch the "mystery" out. The pertinent event is due any episode now, isn't it?
Should be soon. I'm actually curious as to what people think will be included in the next episode? To my reckoning the stuff coming up very soon -> Jon has to get into the Watch, Robb has to gather his retainers and leave winterfell, Tyrion's trial and release, Dany with the crones & Viserys getting crowned and Robert has to at least leave to go hunting. It seems like all of that stuff could potentially happen in the next episode and no later than the next 2 episodes.

It's funny to read comments from people who don't know the books. Everyone is basically in love with episode 5, shocked at what's going on and totally unprepared for the stuff that's coming next. Should be a treat to soak up their reactions.

I'm really looking forward to Bronn's fight.

Also, I kinda wish I knew more people who were watching it who hadn't read the books for the same reason as you Lofwyr.

Go here to see a synopsis of the remaining episodes of the season:

http://www.tv.com/search.php?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bnewshows&qs=Game+of+Thrones&stype=program

Jon does take his vows. Viserys gets his crown. Robb marches to war. We meet Mirri Maz Durr. Robert goes hunting. Tyrion has his trial.
Obviously they should hire me to plot out their episodes, I'm clearly perfect for the job! One thing I forgot...Bran&Robb have to meet Osha in the Godswood. That precedes Robb gathering his peeps (probably pushing that to episode 7). I can honestly say I'm a little giddy to see the end of the next episode :D I mean...we all know how it's going to close, especially given the title of the episode.

I think this tells us what to expect in episode 6. It looks like they are really picking up the pace and non-readers of the books will have their heads in a spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU7VpQYd_yg

I have got to agree with most of the views about Renly. I pictured him as more dashing.

Obviously they should hire me to plot out their episodes, I'm clearly perfect for the job! One thing I forgot...Bran&Robb have to meet Osha in the Godswood. That precedes Robb gathering his peeps (probably pushing that to episode 7). I can honestly say I'm a little giddy to see the end of the next episode :D I mean...we all know how it's going to close, especially given the title of the episode.

I spotted a snipet of that scene in one of "making of" specials on HBO On Demand. We should see it within the next episode or two.

The next episode will also see Dany with the Chrones of Vaes Dothrak and her further transformation as Khaleesi.

Okay just saw last sunday's episode... I think the ending was perfect and the Jaime vs Eddard part (made me as angry as I was reading the book!).
Though to the gay part...Why do people need to know that already during the 5th episode? Feels like a lame trick to smuggle in more sex per episode again. I really didn't see any justified necessity for that. I mean for the ones only viewing the show the only major thing they know about Renly and Loras now is that they're gay (which isn't really THAT important story-wise). The current pattern seems to be that if we need to go more in depth about some characters who weren't POV's in the books, heck, lets do a random sex-scene with "witty" dialogue, that'll please the audience!

Back to the parts that were cool though. Varys, enjoyable performance through-out the episode. He and Illyrio could've been more disguised in the dungeons though but it was still a rather good scene.

Also the gore throughout the episode was gruesome... yet somewhat awesome :D