Alastair Reynolds

RichF

Hi everyone,

Following on from my last thread I decided to purchase Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds and have just finished reading it. I found it slow starting, but most good fiction books seem to be, and in the end I thoroughly enjoyed it. I kind of wish it was in a series as it definitely has scope to continue but as it is not can anyone recommend any of Reynolds other work?

I am interested in his Revelation Space series but as Pushing Ice was so good wondered if any of his other standalone books were worth the read?

Look forward to your thoughts, in the meantime I've got a copy of Childhood's End to read!

Thank you very much, I did do a search but somehow missed that thread.

I preferred Reynolds's Century Rain to Pushing Ice.

(Even though their titles both have meteorological terms in them, the books are unrelated except by author. :))

I preferred Reynolds's Century Rain to Pushing Ice.

(Even though their titles both have meteorological terms in them, the books are unrelated except by author. :))

Haven't read Pushing Ice yet but Century Rain was the first novel of his I read. I picked it up as a freebie in a 3 for 2 deal just because I liked the sound of it. I found it to be a brilliant read, even found my self scared at one point! I really enjoy his Short fiction, I'm currently jumping in and out of Zima Blue.

I love his Revelation Space books and i too would recommend them. Apparently, he's thinking of returning there once he completes this next trilogy.

Of his Stand alone novels, i've only read Century Rain. It was OK, but personally, i wasn't impressed.

I think I posted in your previous thread?

Pushing Ice is amongst the weakest Reynolds novels in my opinion. In fact, all his work set outside the Revelation Space universe is weaker in my view, although I do like House of Suns.

The best stuff is the Revelation Space trilogy, and Chasm City (number one in my view), and The Prefect.

Really top notch stuff.

Coragem.

It's set 7 years after the Melding Plague hits Chasm City, around 2500, I believe, whereas Revelation Space opens in 2551.

I'm currently reading Chasm City and have 201 pages to go in my 694 page paperback and, while readable, it's going to take a really fantastic 201 pages for me to end up liking it. But I'm too far in to quit. RS was not much fun early on (also very "slow starting") and this was easier to get into but RS had an ascending curve while this has been bouncing up and down over and under a basically flat line. You're right, though, about almost everyone else seeming to like it, usually placing it among the top of Reynolds' stuff. I'm just not one of them so far.

On the thread topic of Reynolds in general, as I probably said in the other thread, my favorite Reynolds are his two RS-universe collections, Galactic North and Diamond Dogs and Turquoise Days. Also, while I haven't managed to get Zima Blue, a collection of non-RS stories, based on what I've read from it (such as "Merlin's Gun") and other stories (such as "The Six Directions of Space") , I'm sure it would also be fantastic. His novels, for me, so far, not so much. I haven't read any of the standalone ones, though. Still, overall, an important author worth looking into if you haven't.

I'm currently reading Chasm City and have 201 pages to go in my 694 page paperback and, while readable, it's going to take a really fantastic 201 pages for me to end up liking it. But I'm too far in to quit. RS was not much fun early on (also very "slow starting") and this was easier to get into but RS had an ascending curve while this has been bouncing up and down over and under a basically flat line.

Everyone is different, but many people rate Chasm City amongst their best ever sci-fi reads. It's one of the few books that make you want to dwell on the descriptive scenes, rather than rushing on to the dialogue and action. The context is so well realised. But then there's the character element, the inner contemplation, the awesome noir plot, and the idea that people can change (even become heroes) in spite of terrible past wrongs.

Revelation Space doesn't have an action hero, and the lead character isn't exactly likeable, but it is awesome and original, with very strong characters. Then Redemption Ark briefly brings in a character from Chasm City (no spoilers), and adds the heroic presence of Clavain.

Well, I heartily recommend them!

Coragem

If it's any help, Chasm City is my favourite Reynolds novel (so far). And while it is set in the Revelation Space universe, it is stand-alone.

I really enjoyed Chasm City, not read anything else by him... yet

I too enjoyed Chasm City. It's got a very interesting ending. Admittedly, you do see it coming, but it's still enjoyable.

I'm quite a fan of Reynolds and I liked all his RS book, though the reading order for them can be quite problematical. The RS universe is first introduced in the book of short stories Glactic North which I would stongly recommend reading before any others. After that Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap go together and should be read in that order. Chasm City and The Prefect (my two favourite RS stories) are both stand alone though I would recommend Chasm City be read before the other RS stories, as I feel it introduces you to the universe better than Revelation Space (although Glactic North first introduces the RS universe it doesn't go into that much depth, being short stories). I actually have a reading order, that I picked up from somehwere, that includes all the short stories (including Diamond dogs and Turquoise Days) and the novels in roughly chronological order.

I couldnt finish RS and with respect to Chasm City and his writing ability i dont think he could ever write a novel that is among the best SF ever imho.

He had ideas,character that was interesting in the book i read but i got bored like J-Sun and the prose,storytelling ability was just not good enough.

I might read him again but no hurry at all....

I think I was lucky to read Chasm City first, as it set the scene very well for the other books in the same universe. I think his novels are up to the top class, and while Century Rain was not the best of them, I'd recommend that anyone try House of Suns.

I've just finished my first AR - Pushing Ice and quite enjoyed it. Some interesting ideas if not terribly original. One thing that did annoy me was the way he jumped the time-line forward as key moments became immanent - I mean, it kept the book to a reasonable length but I found it a bit annoying. I also couldn't help but imagine the Fountainheads as furry Darleks which didn't help the focus on the plot.

It was enjoyable, but not enough to put me in a hurry to look for more of his work. Although I did enjoy his short story: Merlins Gun.

I found his habit of having characters explain the plot off screen and then never mentioning it again very annoying.

Ok chaps this is what's happening - End chapter.
Start of next chapter - Well that explains why this ancient race did what they did but let's never mention it again.

That and skipping over action scenes, launching a raid to steal one of the ships in transit is built up as almost impossible and something that's never been done before. Then the start of the next chapter everyone's sat around congratulating themselves on doing it, no explanation how or brief summary. If you can't do actioin scenes don't have the plot revolving around them.

Any excitement for his next trilogy of books? Apparently it charts mankinds next eleven thousand years in space. (Then it's back to the Revelation Space universe. Yay!!!)