Soooo... What'd Everybody Think?

Just had to put my 2 cents in here, whoever did Legend of the Seeker outta be drawn and quartered! Awful to say the least! I get angry just reading the TV guide about it!!
As far as I know the same people who did the old Xena and Hercules series.
So there was actually no surprise there.

Can't really compare something like HBO to that.

It's kinda interesting to see what tidbits, conversations they found important enough to keep. It sheds new light on things sometimes.

On yesterday's episode i got even more certain that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. From the conversation between Jon and Robb.
--> Robb:Next time i'll see you, you'll be all in black
Jon: It was always my colour.

It's not unusual for bastards to invert their houses colours.
Some Targ bastards calling themselves Blackfyres --> the Black dragon.
So it's not a clear cut connection, but it's a hint.

Either that, or Jon is a bit of a fashion victim (of the "black is the new black" variety).

There WILL be spoilers below

After 2 episodes i think it's fair to say they are doing an outstanding job. It's not perfect, but it's damn good, probably better than i thought it would b

Peter Dinklage is bringing Tyrion to life. It's as if the role was written with him in mind. Seeing him slap Joffrey around and then tell the Hound off (in his inimitable Impish way) was a great moment.

Mark Addy is playing Robert nearly to perfection. Ye of little faith cast aside your doubt. This guy is the real deal. The Full Monty, if I might jest a bit :D

Sean Bean has nailed Ned, and actually, I like all of the Starks. Michelle Fairly is an outstanding acress, but I'm still having toruble getting used to her age, particularly when juxtaposed with Lena heady.

I really liked how they started empowering Dany. It explains the coarseness of the first Dany-Drogo lovemaking scen last week, and ties in elements from the book. Harry Lloyd has surpassed what I thought he would do.

NCW's Jaime is a bit uneven.

Owen-Allen just doesn't look like Theon and i'm not in love with his acting. Hopefully he grows into the role with better writing for him.

While the way they "woke Bran up" was a departure from the book, it did establish a really wonderful connection between the wolves and the childran. Poor Lady :(

On to the viper's nest of King's Landing. Arya learns to dance. Ned gets Littlefingered. Robert is just bored. All puns intended.

I've enjoyed watching both episodes, and i think they've done a marvellous job so far- the acting has been particularly good.

Two small dissapointments

1) Jaime

NCW's Jaime is a bit uneven.
i agree with the Imp, i'm not convinced by NCW, although a good actor i've winced more than once at his speech- it seems strangely alien, i'm afraid his danish accent is coming through. Pity, because he does look the part.

2) The Dothraki

The less said the better really, they seem like a jolly troupe of hippies posing as Amerindians. The fighting at the wedding looked a bit amateurish :(

I've enjoyed watching both episodes, and i think they've done a marvellous job so far- the acting has been particularly good.

Two small dissapointments

1) Jaime

i agree with the Imp, i'm not convinced by NCW, although a good actor i've winced more than once at his speech- it seems strangely alien, i'm afraid his danish accent is coming through. Pity, because he does look the part.

2) The Dothraki

The less said the better really, they seem like a jolly troupe of hippies posing as Amerindians. The fighting at the wedding looked a bit amateurish :(

The line "The things I do for love' could have been delivered SOOOOO much better. For those who haven't read the audiobooks, Dotrice deleivers that line far, far better.

Interesting poit about the Dothraki. but I think it's an accurate depiction of what a nmadic plains people would look like. The figting didn't strike me as being exceptionally good or bad. it just.was.

Good points good Sers.
I think they are doing a great job and I see a very successful season.

Only thing is, I'm sure you can all agree-since I have read all the books and the first one twice nearly, the show seems really compacted and they really move it along. But I also thought Return of the King was too short at 3hrs 20 mins!

I do miss the warmth between Robb and Jon I felt in the books and Ned's warmth for his kids especially being lenient with Araya and Bran.

I dont remember Jaime and Jon having the little conversation do you guys?

I was and still hoping to see Brans dreams with the talking Crow.

My wife has an issue with Jaime's hairstyle being too modern.

In the book the Hound brought the butcher's son back in pieces, in a bag. Guess maybe that was too hardcore for HBO?

Seems this episode is taking time for development of the charachters.

Yes, Peter Dinklage is perfect for the Imp, his facial expressions are great.Hope they did as well with Bronn.

All in all a great episode!:p

I believe there was such a conversation between Jaime and Jon. I any event, it went to building up Jaime's portrayal as an arrogant prick.

I too was hoping for that dream but they did well with Lady's killing and Bran waking up.

No, there wasn't.
Jon i do believe has never talked to Jaime.

The Conversations between Jon and Tyrion have been sized down a bit.
And some of the things Jaime said, are bascially what Tyrion says to Jon.
Albeit a bit more pleasant. They probably gave a bit of Tyrion's lines to jaime.
So that that actor has anything to say during the first few episodes.

No, there wasn't.
Jon i do believe has never talked to Jaime.

The Conversations between Jon and Tyrion have been sized down a bit.
And some of the things Jaime said, are bascially what Tyrion says to Jon.
Albeit a bit more pleasant. They probably gave a bit of Tyrion's lines to jaime.
So that that actor has anything to say during the first few episodes.

I feel your sting from across the ocean.

As mentioned in Ep 2 thread, am enjoying this series a lot.

I think what those of us who have read the books easily fail to realise is just how much material needs to be covered - all those details covered in the book through internal exposition, and background stories - and yet it's so far holding together nicely as a TV series in its own right.

I think one of the best things the TV series has so far shown is that there are no good guys and bad guys - every single character is flawed and self-absorbed to some degree, which holds up a sense of unpredictability as necessary.

I've never come across a book that adapted in full detail to film, but so long as the spirit of the writing is conveyed in the TV series, I'm happy.

I've never come across a book that adapted in full detail to film, but so long as the spirit of the writing is conveyed in the TV series, I'm happy.

I would agree, and I think they've done a VERY good job so far. As a lover of the books, I am obviously going to be disappointed they left some things out, but I am also realistic and realise this is necessary. But the spirit of the writing is definately there.

I've not read the books and am still having serious trouble telling some characters apart. I'm sure it would have been better if I'd known a bit beforehand.
I'm loving it though and waiting for Ep 3 soon in England

I've not read the books and am still having serious trouble telling some characters apart. I'm sure it would have been better if I'd known a bit beforehand.

You're probably having trouble distinguishing between Roob Stark, Theon Greyjoy and Jon Snow.

Jon was on his way to The Wall in espisode 2 and will be there in episode 3. You are not likely to see any scenes with him, Robb and Theon and time soon unless something is thrown into the series that isn't in the books. That leaves being able to tell Robb and Theon apart. This is Robb

robb_stark.jpg

this is Theon.

theon-greyjoy-1024.jpg

I hope you have HBO on demand in England or hbo.com can show you alot. On the on demand channel there are several short vignettes telling about the Starks, Lannisters and other tid bits, I suggest you watch those or look on line.

I hope you read the first book in between seasons and hear more from you then too.

Thank you for the pics Imp - he was one of the ones who'd not registered properly! And for the advice Conor, I'll head over to hbo.com while I've got a bit of time now.
:)