Soooo... What'd Everybody Think?

I have just watched the first two episodes back to back and my first impressions are in the positive. I can see the characters from the book, which I think is important. I thought episode 2 was much better than the first. The actor playing the Hound looks a bit old. I always put him in his middle to late twenties for some reason.

The production values are great, as you would expect from HBO. On the negative I find the Dothraki scenes a bit camp and contrived. Although Iain Glen makes a very good Ser Jorah.

Having watched them I am left wondering how they are going to fit all of Book 1 into the series. Not wanting to reveal any spoilers, but the key moment on the book is the not the end of it. Looking at the pacing of the series it would take 10 episodes to get to that 'key moment'.

I have just watched the first two episodes back to back and my first impressions are in the positive. I can see the characters from the book, which I think is important. I thought episode 2 was much better than the first. The actor playing the Hound looks a bit old. I always put him in his middle to late twenties for some reason.

The production values are great, as you would expect from HBO. On the negative I find the Dothraki scenes a bit camp and contrived. Although Iain Glen makes a very good Ser Jorah.

Having watched them I am left wondering how they are going to fit all of Book 1 into the series. Not wanting to reveal any spoilers, but the key moment on the book is the not the end of it. Looking at the pacing of the series it would take 10 episodes to get to that 'key moment'.

I get the impression from reading around, that with George Martin's Blessing (and he has written the script for Episode 8 in S1!!) they are being fairly liberal with plot layout. He says that his episode is one of the most Gory of S1, and I guess they have a game plan - much the same way Peter Jackson took massive books, and managed to present them in 3 hours, with LOTR.

The Guardian Newspaper had a nice little interview with George a week or 2 ago, and he certainly comes across as really pleased with how Game of Thrones has been built as a series :)

George RR Martin: Barbarians at the gate | Books | The Guardian

Last edited:
The more I see the opening sequence the more I like it. Really amazing.

The first scene with Ned and the "messenger" spoke volumes about who Ned is and the differences between the North and the South. Bean's acting is terrific.

I liked the scene between Jaime and Ned. Jaime is establisked as the Kinglsayer. "You served him well, when serving was safe" (BTW folks, they are now pronouncing Jaime and Cersei as Roy reads them in the books)

For the fans of the audiobooks, GM Pycelle is played by Roy.

Varys is sufficiently slimy.

Renly isn't flamboyant enough yet, but I'm sure he'll be fine

I loved the scene in the brothel. Plot lines are being established really well

The end scene with Syrio was breathtaking

Although there wasn't a lot of action in epi3 there was a LOT going on and a lot of character establishment. i loved it.

he probably wanted the naked one....
:eek:
A mind reader !

But seriously

I am very supprised of the amount of English actors that are in the show.
And how well the North of England accents come across .
I have become addicted to it already and I think I will explore a book shop soon :D

Oh , and Ta for the pics TK - 421 :D

Hello everyone!

I speak as a complete newbie. I haven't read the books and I knew nothing about the series before it started. My partner (who's read all the books) introduced it to me, and with a series going under the banner of HBO (The Wire is my favourite show of alltime), I jumped on it.

The intro sequence is fantastic!

The costume design is inspiring! I absolutely -love- the costumes of all the different characters.

However, both me and my partner have to be drunk to watch the show. If you take a sip whenever there is a scene with (or talk of): sex, brothels, whores, incest, tits, nudity... You're going to be wasted by the end of it. I was last night(!)

The Wire had a lot of sex in it, but it was handled differently. I can't put my finger on how, but it was handled in a way that made it interesting and exciting and relevant to the story every single time it was on the screen. With Game of Thrones, I was just rolling my eyes when a naked woman was scurrying past the camera for the 4890238293th time. Maybe it's like that in the book?

Another reason why I can't watch this show with a sober eye is the characters. I'm obsessed with characters. If they are only there to further a plotline or if they feel flat, I'm not in any way connected to the story.
Out of all the characters (and bloody hell, there are a lot of them), I can honestly say that I'm only vaguely interested in seeing what happens to that young girl with the sword. And maybe the blonde lady with the horse-lord.

Won't go into too much detail unless people want me to, because I could probably sit and babble about the (lack of) character for a long time.

All in all: Disappointed, but loving the costumes.

Have you considered that all that nudity is there to stop people like you (garbophiles?) drooling over the costumes...?

;):)

@JenJen I think you should try reading the books. I am enjoying the TV show tremendously, but it doesn't give you a tenth of the character development that the books do. Plus, there is nowhere near the same amount of sex in the books. I think the only actual sex scenes that take place in the book (so far) are Dany's wedding night with Drogo, and Jaime and Cersei in the tower.

I've read the books and watched four episodes. Don't know how I am going to find them now that I am back in Malaysia. I watched these in Europe where friends had them. I loved them and how they had been made. I understand and accept that some things, though attractive had to be removed. I really appreciate that the resulting storyline flows pretty well, is well cast and looks awesome. I look forward to the rest.

I've read the books and watched four episodes. Don't know how I am going to find them now that I am back in Malaysia. I watched these in Europe where friends had them. I loved them and how they had been made. I understand and accept that some things, though attractive had to be removed. I really appreciate that the resulting storyline flows pretty well, is well cast and looks awesome. I look forward to the rest.
If you have plenty of download bandwidth and interested in watching the show then PM me :)

Have you considered that all that nudity is there to stop people like you (garbophiles?) drooling over the costumes...?

Hahah! Garbophile :D I'm so gonna remember that!
But seriously. A lot of thought has gone into the clothes. The different textures and materials depending on where the people are from. Different colours and patterns. Someone's been having a lot of fun with it.

@JenJen I think you should try reading the books. I am enjoying the TV show tremendously, but it doesn't give you a tenth of the character development that the books do. Plus, there is nowhere near the same amount of sex in the books. I think the only actual sex scenes that take place in the book (so far) are Dany's wedding night with Drogo, and Jaime and Cersei in the tower.

My partner told me to read the 20 first pages of the first book, so I did that last night. There was instantly so much more -action- than there's in the series so far. In the series I feel like I'm watching people talk about what happened in the past ('remember that war?' 'Oh yes I do. Wow it was so cool and exciting.' 'I knooow' 'Remember those dragons?' 'They were massive!') and what's gonna happen in the future ('watch out for the winter.' 'Winter's coming.' 'there's gonna be war again. It's gonna be awful. Lots of dead people and fighting and action.'), but rarely -doing- anything interesting (well, other than humping eachother, if you like that sort of thing :p)

My man said that he liked the first book and the third. The rest of them struggle to actually get the plot moving forward with all the characters not doing much, or it's just not structured well.

But hey, we've got some more episodes to watch tonight. Better go get some wine.

I enjoyed this series, best thing I've watched for a while- even managed to get non-geek friends obsessed with it! Now I am going to buy the book...

So far I think the action scenes and acting are well done. Its a little plot heavy for my tastes. And the subplots are mind numbing. But I think that is because I have not watched the episodes consecutively yet, outside of random HBO reruns. I'm still going to watch season 2 without watching all of season 1 because I believe I already got the gist of what is going on anyway.

Not read the books , just seen the tv series; and I thought it was epic on a scale grander than Jackson's LOTR trilogy. Magnificent , and along with Boardwalk Empire, one of the few programmes worth watching these days.

HBO have definitely outdone themselves with Game of Thrones, its a masterpiece and keeps true enough to the original story not to upset the fans, unlike the disaster that was Legend of the Seeker.

there were only a couple of scenes I didn't really think much of, firstly the scene with Petyr Balish in his whore house obsessing over Catelyn while he interviews the whores. Secondly the scene where Pycelle is talking to the whore he just had sex with and then doing his exercises.

I can understand putting the naked woman in the scene with Pycelle to keep certain members of the audience entertained through his 'info dump' but the exercises were not necessary.

But the production quality of the show was second to none.