Book Covers For Your Ebook

psychotick

Dangerously confused
Hi,

About a year ago I published on the kindle my first ebook, and one of the things I have always been unhappy with is the cover. I designed it myself (probably my first big mistake as I have zero artistic ability), and though it seemed clever to me at the time now every time I look at it I keep thinking what a fool I was.

I'm writing this thread now because I'm getting close to publishing my second ebook and I'd prefer not to make the same mistakes again. So my question to you other self publishers out there is how do you go about designing covers? Do you use professionals? Art edit programs? Friends? Also I'd be interested in seeing some of your covers.

In the interests of self humiliation I'd be happy to post a copy of mine, but for some reason I can't seem to post an image. (Too few posts so far possibly, or simply a clutz on the keyboard.) But I think I managed to put a copy on my profile somewhere - still new to this forum's workings. If that doesn't work and for those who are truly desperate for a laugh, the book is Thief by Greg Curtis, on the kindle.

Looking forwards to your responses.

Cheers.

PS. Actually self humiliation goes ahead, I managed to post a thumnail so feel free to laugh!

Cheers.

Attachments

• ThiefBookCover2.jpg
    ThiefBookCover2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 350
Hi there

opinion-wise, that cover doesn't say an awful lot about the book or even what genre it is. plus, the typeface you've used really doesn't want to be read. sorry.

fantasy books - and to some extent sf too - can usually get away with either illustrating directly, or making oblique reference to, an event in the book. with sf you tend to expect either OTT spaceships (Cobley, Hamilton etc), quite abstract looking aliens (Asher), or maybe lines of hulking armored space marines (Warhammer, natch). Bad examples are usually the Baen books - over-literal and excruciatingly painted.
Fantasy breaks the same way - pictures of hooded heroes (Weeks, Brett, Sanderson), moody paintings refering to the books (Erikson), and usually these days (though not always) painted on a white background.
But either way they should all give the reader at least a feel for what's behind the cover. I went for the slightly abstract angle, attempting to represent the Imperial starburst crest. As it's part of a series, I kept the design for the second volume, altered the colours, and made the starburst explode. I think you can see these on my profile, otherwise Empire Dance is on kindle too.
i'm not an artist - hell, no, my stick people always look deformed - but playing with photoshop and liberating and radically altering one image isn't that hard to do with Photoshop.
as ever, my opinion only.

Hi Chopper,

Thanks for that, your book cover looks really awesome. Mine not so much. Still it gives me hope that I can do better.

Cheers.

I had artists do mine for me as I can't draw to save my life. My first is a print and ebook:

frontcover1.jpg

This one is print only:
eg.jpg

If you go for artists just starting out, then it's cheap enough. I'm not made of money and some people charge a fortune! DeviantArt is a good place for budding artists.

(My books are for young adults)

I hate those new book covers out now with the hooded figures! They're all the same.

Let me recommend a couple of sites to you. For images try morgueFile free photos for creatives by creatives which provides free images for any use except as sale as stand alone items. Meaning you can use them for commercial purposes, and as derivative work (you can edit it, which you'll have to do to make it fit your eBook's dimensions) and the images are plenty big, so they'll have to be cropped. You can search the site for specific images, and if you enter "abstract" in the search box can find plenty of dazzling photos ideal for about any kind of book. You need not even attribute it, but I would as common courtesy, and the photographers love to know how their photos are used, so drop them a line letting them know and thanking them.

For titles, I like both Cool Text: Logo and Graphics Generator and BannerFans - Free Banner MakerBannerFans - Free Banner Maker which do require attribution, so be sure and include it. Banner Fans allows you to upload an image, such as your cover, and place text, which can be moved around on the image for placement. With Cool Text, you'll need an image editing program to add the title and your name onto the cover image, but there's a wider variety of fonts available.

The number one mistake most make in placing titles on covers is they're too small to see by the time the cover image is thumbnailed or reduced for web display, so experiment by making a copy of your cover image and resizing it down to see what it will look like when reduced.

Hi,

Thought I'd let you know where I'm at after a few hours playing. Went to the morgue photo's link - simply awesome, downloaded a few images that seemed appropriate. Then downloaded a freeware program called merge, and merged several of them together. The result is a little spacey, a glade with lots of strange lighting effects, and there's work to do, but am loving it.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Finally developed a first version of my book cover for Maverick, which is attached. Its three photos from the morgue merged together then some editing with colours etc. I'm not completely happy with the text so will have to rework it at some stage. But in the meantime let me know what you think. Does it scream fantasy and magic at you? Does it pull your eye?

Cheers.

Attachments

• MaverickCover11.jpg
    MaverickCover11.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 308
The image is quite cool looking, though I'm unsure about the green (thats just personal preference when it comes to colour though - I'm a purple kinda guy :D). I personally would shrink the flame a bit, but the only real issue is, as you said, the text.

Oh and it does indeed give an impression of fantasy, though it also kind of screams thriller or horror.

Mouse, I would have loved those covers as a kid, and I think they're much better than most out there at the moment.

Hand-drawn art rules!

(And good for you for giving a budding artist some work.)

Mouse, I would have loved those covers as a kid, and I think they're much better than most out there at the moment.

Hand-drawn art rules!

(And good for you for giving a budding artist some work.)

Thank you! Yes, I'm very pleased with them. I tried to post the art for the third book (which was a different artist again) but the picture came up too huge. This is it: The Barbarians' Key by ~FlameRaven on deviantART

Hi Guys,

Those art works are brilliant. Meanwhile sitting here in wet, wet, wet Rotorua, and tired from too little sleep, two hours instead of my usual three or four, I've been pushing on and based on your comments come up with what I think is closer to the finished product. (But alas having seen your covers now I need to think up some witty aside to throw under the title - and I'm running fairly low on wit at present.)

Tell me what you think, particularly the eyes - not sure why I put them in but I think they look cool, and also the text - its black against a dark background I know, but I think it looks good and is still readable.

Cheers.

Attachments

• MaverickCover14.jpg
    MaverickCover14.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 268
Its has quite an eerie effect which is good. As its a bit dark I wonder how striking it is though in a small thumbnail (what you sometimes get on various sites). Might be worth looking at various ebook sites and what size you get and then resizing it to that and sitting back and seeing how striking and clear it is.

Hi,

I know its dark, but I have to admit I like it like that. On the other hand I'm no artist so it could just be me. For effect I added white shadowing to the text and increased the size of the title, so I think its quite easily readible even in thumbnail now.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

Hi,

I really like that Time Watcher's cover.

Cheers.

Me too! I really like all three of them. I think simple is starting to become better these days (when it's done well) especially for e-books, since most of the time you see them, they're so small, you can't see all the detail.