SG-U: 2.15 - Seizure

Dr.Jackson

Certified Space Monkey
Rush is discovered in a coma in the neural interface chair. Now part of Destiny’s computer, Amanda Perry has created a simulation program allowing her and Rush to physically connect in the ship’s matrix. Ginn warns Eli that the parameters Amanda has set have trapped Rush in the simulation, forcing Eli to make a difficult decision in order to return Rush to his body.

Meanwhile, when the Langarans refuse Homeworld Command’s request and Dr. Rodney McKay’s plan to use their planet’s core as the power source for dialing the ninth chevron address, Telford sends Young, Scott and Richard Woolsey on a clandestine mission to the planet. Telford suspects the Langarans have aligned or been infiltrated by the Lucian Alliance and not only wants to prove that they can safely use the planet to dial the ninth chevron address and open a supply line to Destiny, but also fears that if they don’t, the Lucian Alliance will use the planet to attack Destiny.

I was looking forward to seeing McKay back on our screens, it's just a pity that he didn't get to have more screen time with Eli as the two seemed to have the beginnings of a very good dynamic between them. However, I thought this was an interesting episode with subtle parallels in the two main stories.

While Amanda Perry acted out of love, she was willing to trick Rush into staying in the simulation. Likewise, Homeworld Command were willing to deceive the Langarans to get access to the gate capable of dialing the 9th chevron.
In both cases, the deception was uncovered and a lot was lost in the process.

Yes I also liked that we got to see McKay again and it would have been intresting to see what would have happened if he got onboard Destiny.

I don't really know what to think about the simulation thing, it felt weird that Amanda should lie to Rush.

I will be instresting to see next episode, I think the show is getting better and better.

I only watched a few episodes of SG-1 so I didn't know McKay at all, but what I saw in this episode I really liked.

I was horrified that Young et al thought it was fine to attempt to hijack an entire world. There is no way they could be absolutely sure they wouldn't blow up the planet. I don't care what calculations they did. They were willing to risk an entire world just to save one ship. That was sociopathic behaviour.

Again, this raises the moral ambiguity surrounding the use of the stones. The show has pretty much avoided confronting the moral and ethical issues of using another person's body. I really enjoy this show but I get uncomfortable every time the stones are used.

I forgot to add, I also enjoyed the brief interaction between KcKay and Eli. I would love to see McKay go up against Rush. Rush takes himself so seriously and I doubt McKay would kow-tow to him the way the others sometimes do. Also, I bet McKay would enjoy teasing Rush just to see him explode in a temper tantrum.

Again, this raises the moral ambiguity surrounding the use of the stones. The show has pretty much avoided confronting the moral and ethical issues of using another person's body. I really enjoy this show but I get uncomfortable every time the stones are used.

There is slightly less ambiguity if the stones are used in a professional capacity, i.e. reporting back to Homeworld Command. Even when on 'shore leave' when visiting family, there are less issues as the military personnel have consented to use the stones.
Of course, issues still surround how the 'guest' uses the host body when using the stones, but that is nothing compared to what we saw in this episode.

To put it honestly, they used the Langarans bodies without their consent, which amounts to a serious breach in ethics and morals. There is an ugly word which comes to mind, forcing yourself on someone without their consent, and this action was tantamount to that.
I have to wonder whether that was considered when the episode was being written, if it may be brought up during the last few episodes, or if any other fans have thought about this.
I know it's a work of fiction, and these are flawed characters, but I wouldn't have thought that the representation of military and governing bodies would sink this low, ethically and morally speaking.

I can handle the stones being used in a professional capacity where there is informed consent and strictly defined Dos and Don'ts. Young's briefings back home are a good example of how the stones should be used. In a personal capacity, Eli's trip back home to see his mother was also an excellent example of how the stones can be used for good. I felt that Eli respected the body he was in.

And yes, that ugly word you allude to is exactly the word that springs to mind when I think of some of the ways in which the Destiny crew members use the stones. I think of that word not only in connection with what happened on Langara but also in how Young and Wray use the bodies they borrow. Did those military personnel really give their consent for their bodies to be used sexually, with people they don't even know? This raises all sorts of questions about consent, STDs and fidelity/infidelity. And if consent was not given, then those people were raped, even though they were not in their bodies at the time of the act.

I can handle pretty much every inconsistency the show throws at me but this one. No one on Destiny seems to give even a second thought to what they owe the people whose bodies they use. It's a glaring omission IMO.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Metryq General Film Discussion 10