The Jack Vance thread

The first two Lyonesse books (of which The Green Pearl is the second) are probably Jack Vance's greatest work. Alas the third book was good, but a bit of a let-down. You definitely need to read the trio in order - and I do recommend them all to you.

Just recently finished reading the entire trilogy. I found the flow from one to the next to be quite good. I'm generally not big on fantasy, but this trio was epic. I'll be on to the Tales of Dying Earth next.

At a glance, I don't see mention of the Planet of Adventure quartet--City of the Chasch, Servants of the Wankh, The Dirdane, The Pnume--here. Is there a reason for that? Not so good?

At a glance, I don't see mention of the Planet of Adventure quartet--City of the Chasch, Servants of the Wankh, The Dirdane, The Pnume--here. Is there a reason for that? Not so good?
There certainly have been recommendations for it. A small problem for British readers is that they cannot read the second book in public, unless they wish to be mocked or beaten up.

It is very good. But what Bick said. I think the VIE retitled it Servants of the Wanek.

I've just seen (in a second hand book store) the three separate paperbacks comprising the whole of the "Durdane" series. I've not really heard much about this in the past...anyone recommend it?

No no no. Bitter-sweet ending still memorable decades later. Someone did say in print Vance seemed to lose interest with the third part but I didn't feel it at the time. Go for it if the price is right.

Rereading the lyonesse trilogy at the moment. I'm pretty sure this was one of the main influences on ASOIAF. Vance is a strong contender for my favourite author, if I have one.