The Jack Vance thread

That DAW cover of Star King- Whys the guy with the sword wearing a space helmet when he's just in his underwear?

I thought it was a goldfish bowl. If it was a goldfish bowl, it'd make perfect sense that he'd be in his underwear.

I'd rather have a Bergey babe swinging the sword, even if it was at me.

Combine covers 1 & 3, eh?

It looks like the series ends on a bit of an anti-climax - in cover 4 he's slicing a guy like a tomato (must be mad about having to wear that striped shirt) and in cover 5 he's just punching him.

I have read 3 Demon Princes i dont know why i havent finished the series yet. Adam Reith and wonderful Sworld and planet series Planet of Adventure stole me from Gersen ;)

Any fan for The Killing Machine my fav by far of the first 3 novels.

The Jack Vance Reader contains three novels: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Emphyrio, [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The Domains of Koryphon and[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The Languages of Pao[/SIZE][/FONT].

Ah, nice. I was thinking "damn - that book has a cool cover. I should check it out" but upon checking out that book's contents realized that I have all but one of the stories from that collection in The Jack Vance Treasury.

What's your favorite story from Fantasms and Magic?

I've been thinking of investing in an E-book reader, especially given that many used books that I order from the USA don't arrive (for god knows what reason). I also detest waiting nearly a month for my book to arrive only to receive the damn wrong book. This happens too often for my liking.

You might want to try to find a copy of The Jack Vance Treasury which contains all but one of the stories collected in that collection as well as many additional stories. It's a "best of" Vance short stories collection. I've yet to read it. It can often be found on Ebay for around $20.
Oh ok,I hadn't even heard of the 'Domains of Koryphon'...but it turns out that is an alternative title for,'The Gray Prince'...I hate alternative titles!! All the stories in Fantasms and Magics are great,especially 'The Miracle Workers'...I think you'd like that one!...and the totally strange,'The Men Return'. I got a Jetbook lite ebook reader about a year ago...and I haven't read one 'real' book,paperback or otherwise,since. And I found literally thousands of old titles that no one will ever see in a bookshop or garage sale...all free!! The only problem I have with it is that now I have so many books,I can never decide which one to read next :confused:...it's a huge problem!! :p:rolleyes:;)

I have read 3 Demon Princes i dont know why i havent finished the series yet. Adam Reith and wonderful Sworld and planet series Planet of Adventure stole me from Gersen ;)

Any fan for The Killing Machine my fav by far of the first 3 novels.

That is a really good one. The Face, though, my fave, has the best mix of setting, plot that is tight-as-a-nut, and atmos. It's the one I re-read most often. Funnily enough the last one is my least favourite, there's something about the simplstic revenge fantasy trope that puts me off. :rolleyes:

It seems like most people like The Face best. I've yet to read it. The Demon Princes series is in my Jack Vance "to read" list. I'll be reading it after The Jack Vance Treasury.

got a Jetbook lite ebook reader about a year ago...and I haven't read one 'real' book,paperback or otherwise,since. And I found literally thousands of old titles that no one will ever see in a bookshop or garage sale...all free!! The only problem I have with it is that now I have so many books,I can never decide which one to read next :confused:...it's a huge problem!! :p:rolleyes:;)

I really wish there was a VIE (Vance Integral Edition) of all of Jack Vance's books in E-book formats. It would be great to have all of Jack Vance's books in E-book formats where the VIE texts were used. You know, I'd actually be willing to pay quite a bit for that though obviously not as much as I would for the real VIE. :p

Last edited:

I really want to read Planet of Adventure. I was supposed to have a hardcover omnibus of it already but the damn book got lost or stolen (or, at least I assume so . . . I've been waiting for over a month and still haven't received anything). Unfortunately not a rare thing to happen when ordering books from the USA.

"The Men Return", "totally strange", bulls-eye! One of my all-time favorites.

It was so weird that story and so wonderful read. I like his best stories that doesnt fit his usual style,sff content.

Try "The Mitr" ,The Secret(1966) and "The New Prime(1951) as other different but quality stories.

By the way what is your fav Jack Vance SF short story ? Not fantasy DE or the famous novellas.

Along with "The Men Return" I remember liking "The Moon Moth" and "The Devil On Salvation Bluff" but don't ask me why --- I forgot. I just remember liking them. More recently I really enjoyed "Morreion" from Lin Carter's FLASHING SWORDS #1. But "Men Return" still shines at the top. Some things stick with me like sand on a wet foot and I've never forgotten some guy saying something like "I feel a lack. I will eat the relic." Still makes me smile.

Whoops, "Morreion" is fantasy but enjoyable nonetheless. (Heck, maybe the others are too, I can't remember.:eek:)

Just thought of two more I should have remembered: "I'll Build Your Dream Castle" from the late '40s and "Rumfuddle" from the early '70s. By the way, what's DE?

"The Moon Moth" is the most popular SF story by the fans and seen as his best short story. Its the Vance far future,alien human culture story,themes perfected. Totally right its the Vance story in SF Hall of Fame collection.

Dask you have not read Cugel, Dying Earth collection before ? Seeing as you didnt know Morreion. I assumed you had since you know many Vance SF. His Dying Earth is one of the works he is most known for. Creating the subgenre of Dying Earth story.

I've read THE DYING EARTH and THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD but not the others though I have them. I knew "Morreion" was a DE tale and probably figured into a novel somewhere but wasn't sure which. I may fast-track the remainders now. I thought and thought what does DE mean and nothing materialized. Feel really silly now!

I read "Sjambak" in a Vance collection about a year ago. The Finlay illustration, which I have never seen, reminded me it was one of the more bizarre of the bunch in a line-up which boasted no turkeys.

"Sjambak" i read last year when i bought:

Vance, Hard-Luck Diggings: Subterranean Press

I liked the setting, the planet,culture it was set in. The islamic culture was a bit original Jack Vance setting. Usually they are not like that more far future humans that isnt similar to people of today. The story itself was nice but 3/5 type rating in my eyes and not one of the better Vance stories.