COMING IN APRIL -- The 300 Word Writing Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
*looks around conspiratorially...*

Congratulations *drops voice to a whisper in case anyone is listening* Mouse !!!

I hope this workload doesn't stop you entering the Challenges -- we'll gang up on the publisher if it does!

I'd just like to say at this point that........I...........am.............ready.........

RELEASE THE CHAINS!!!!!

On second thoughts, don't. I'll probably come up with a better one tomorrow.

I foresee a slew of unleashed pieces on day one. What a day of reading for us all!

I also predict about 30 stories. Anyone else?

I can't see myself posting on day one, got the story but not the word count.

30 sounds good to me, but there has been a lot of interest I would not surprise if there are more, especially in the first instance

:D

I have a question actually (which has probably been answered already somewhere) but do the stories have to be 300 exactly? Or 300 words and under?

Isn't it in the rules somewhere that if they use your picture for the challenge theme, your story has to be exactly 300 words? I'd swear I saw that someplace. If not, it should be.

Thankies, TJ!

Did yo...would they have to be known to them through previous submissions?

This one. ;)

300 or less, Mouse. As with the 75 Word Challenge, you aren't obliged to use all the available words.

Ta. You know, I've just realised it does actually say maximum 300 words at the start of this thread. I should pay more attention.

Isn't it in the rules somewhere that if they use your picture for the challenge theme, your story has to be exactly 300 words? I'd swear I saw that someplace. If not, it should be.

Gah! No! I had a go at writing something earlier and it only came to 150.

:D :D :D Cheers, all!

Yes, stories. 20 one thousand word ones. And they'll be based on character images so it's sort of like this challenge (see what I did there? ;)).

As for the clock, I keep seeing those patterns around the edge as mice! I'm going to try not to write about mice.

You need a catch phrase, 'Mice to see you, to see you mice.'

I have my story roughly outlined, but I doubt it will be ready to post by the 10th.

It will be interesting to see how many people post immediately after the thread opens.

Can I just clarify; the picture/clock is the inspiration so if I think that behind the face is a clockwork time machine then that's okay?

Gary Compton said:
if I think that behind the face is a clockwork time machine then that's okay?

Sure. We expect people to interpret the picture as broadly and variously as they have been interpreting the themes in the 75 word challenge. Except that with the picture, you get to decide which of the many different ideas or themes it might suggest is the one you want to explore -- so long as it has some connection to the picture, meets the length requirement, and falls under the category of speculative fiction (SF, Fantasy, Alternate History, Supernatural Horror, etc.).

And anyway, it will be up to the voters to decide if they like your interpretation.

Well after getting clarification from Teresa I had a go.

Story is 300 words, and it's in the bag.

No clockwork time machine also so anybody is welcome to that idea:)

What about a clockwork mouse who has to keep the clock ticking, if not he's fed to the cat.:eek:

I doubt what I do will be any good, though.

Someone is approaching perilously close to slapping territory.

You have a lot of time to think of an idea you like and write the story. (And if you reply that even if you do think of an idea that you like the story probably won't be any good anyway you will get a slap.)

By jove I think I have it! Three drafts in and I've got it at 299 words... now a bit of polishing and I might even have it ready on time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back