More Bladerunner Movies

Blackrook

The word is out that they're going to make more Bladerunner movies. Since there is no way they will be as good as the original, fans are certain to be disappointed.

Do you share my pessimism? I mean, look what they did with the Matrix sequels. Awful stuff.

Wasn't the cable TV show Total Recall 2070 set in the Bladerunner universe? It had two detectives tracking down androids and a visual style heavily influenced by the film. I only saw one or two episodes, but it didn't really grab me. So, I think I'd have to agree with you. It would depend on the quality of the writing though, we might be pleasantly surprised, you never know. ;)

We can only hope for something good, but like Dave said, there's got to be some quality writing to support the movie.

Here is harrison Ford's reply when asked how he would feel about a new Bladerunner movie or even a TV series:-
“I don’t have any feeling whatsoever. It was an interesting part of my professional life, I’m glad I made that movie, I’m glad that it got released without the hideous voice-over and I don’t know anything about it. I don’t have a judgement about how wise it is to revisit it. I personally think if you’re gonna do… The ambition every time that I’ve been involved in a sequel of a film or a movie that had a number of iterations, I always felt that we were responsible for bringing something new to the characters and to the experience of the audience. If they go into it with the ambition and some very good idea of how to bring something new to it, maybe it’ll be successful.
I wouldn’t feel bad if I were not invited to the party, because I would understand they would want fresh blood to be spilled. So there you are. They’re making another Jack Ryan movie and I’m not involved. So that’s the way it is.”

With anything but a Philip K. Dick novel I'd say okay, but not with him. Dick was one of the very few SF writers,(or really, ANY writers) who produced a body of work that could be looked at, really, as if it was a just a treatise with one, (or maybe two, but they're still highly related,) major theme. Dick, really, was batshit nuts (but in a good, well, at least a controlled, way), and his whole life was bound up with (and largely ****** up too, from what I've read) with this sort of constant obsession he had as to what constituted reality. Each of his books look at this question from a different angle, like a jeweler "romanicing the stone" that is, looking at it in a variety of angles and seeing constantly varying changes all the time. So no, you can't make a real sequel to any of his stories because they're all really sequels to each other anyway, if that makes any sense.

You COULD make one, I guess, and explore the same aspects of the story, and if the acting, fx, production, etc. was any good it could be good, even better than the original, but it wouldn't ,IMO, be a PKD movie, if that would make any difference to anyone.

Now VALIS? For the life of me I can't see why no one has made VALIS into a movie. It would be the PERFECT vehicle for Terry Gilliam.

I preferred the book:

BladeRunnerPulp-web.jpg

It's a very delicate task. The first movie is very elegant in itself, and feels pretty complete and 'finished'. I don't know if it's a good idea to go poking at it, if they are thinking about explaining or providing background to things that maybe shouldn't be explained.

I'll definitely keep my expectations in check, but IF Ridley Scott (he's involved, right?) can find the old feel, it could be cool!

I'd imagine that something as loved and highly regarded as Blade Runner would only receive the best attention script, direction and production wise, so i'm quietly optimistic.

"Ok, here's the pitch. Rick Deckard has retired from the Blade Running business. He's running a bar now: 'Ricks Bar' and it's somewhere exotic, North Africa somewhere like Casablanca, and one day this dame walks in...

No, forget that. How about this? Rick is now a hard-luck salesman of women's shoes he lives in Chicago with his obnoxious wife Rachael. They have three kids. We could call it 'Married with Replicants'....?

No. Wait... Don't hang up! I'll call you back..."

Last edited:
I would have been excited, but I've watched Prometheus, so I am in fact filled with dread.

Too true JunkMonkey, but I watch in hope - that said, I won't be watching any more of the Prometheus sequels as there is no way it can redeem itself. Since the new Blade Runner just MIGHT be good, I'll have to watch it. If it sucks though, my watching of ongoing sequels will end there, too, once I know for sure one way or the other.