Galaxy (formerly the untitled sci fi epic) Prologue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodemunkey

Well, here i am again with a re written prologue. Still set in the Swiss observatory with Wilhelm.

Incedentally, i couldn't at the time of writing think of a decent name for a swiss village, so any suggestions are welcome.

After this section will come another one set on an alien teaching vessel, which is used as a contrast to the alien ship that caused the flash. (The prologue is fairly long now, might even scrap the term.)

July 1913
Vårn Observatory

My name is Wilhelm Von Krieger, junior astronomer at the Vårn Telescope high in the hills above the Village from which the telescope takes its name. In amongst my duties at the observatory, I Have time to myself which I fill with studying natural history, particularly the local plant life and insects that accompany them.

Midday

With the professor gone for a couple of days, I have some time to myself for the first time in nearly a month. Which has been spent searching for a comet, that an observatory in New Zealand discovered on one of their photographic plates back in March.

Some movement on the road caught my attention; long enough for the sunlight to focus on a page in my notebook through my magnifying glass, catching it alight. I make my way to the road, my sketchbook still smouldering.

The local postman, an ancient man (no one was certain of his exact age) made his way slowly along the road, sitting on a small sled, being pulled by a pair of large Swiss Mountain Dogs. “Good day, young sir.” Says the postman, opening his mail sack.

“I’ve a telegram for you.” He says, handing a blue envelope to me. “Marie has been asking after you again.” Continues the postman.

7th July 1913

It’s cloudy today, not the best weather for astronomical observations so I have taken myself into the village, which is directly below the observatory
I head directly for the local inn, where Marie works.

“There you are,” Says her mother, as I step into the Inn, “I’d almost forgotten what you looked like.” She says, indicating that Marie was working in the courtyard. I found her a few moments later, supervising a delivery of some sort, which was being unloaded from a truck.

“I’m sorry I’ve not been able to visit for a while.” I say apologetically, keeping my distance while Marie inspects a couple of newly delivered crates. “It isn’t your fault.” She says, using a crowbar to open one of the crates.

“These are fine.” She says to the truck driver after inspecting the contents for a while, who motions for a pair of strong looking men to unload the crates.

“Yes, I know, but...” Begins Wilhelm, before being interrupted by Marie, “I said it’s fine.” Says Marie, handing him a stack of plates from the crate to take inside.

“I suppose you’ll be staying for dinner?” Asks Marie’s mother; in a tone that suggests she isn’t too receptive to the idea. “Of course he will.” Says Marie, placing the stack of plates on a table.

6pm

“So, what have you been doing up in that observatory?” Asks Marie’s father, pouring me some coffee after dinner, “Most of my time has been taken up with helping the professor, everything else is just normal everyday tasks.” I say, before taking a sip of coffee.

“If you would like, I could see if the professor would allow me to give you a tour.” I say, hoping that Marie’s mother would think him less of a layabout. “I, for one would like that very much.” Says Marie’s father, glancing over at Marie’s mother.

14th June 1913

10pm

“And if you look through the telescope, you’ll see the Sea of Tranquillity.” I say, handing a small telescope to Marie’s father. “I must say, this telescope of yours is wonderful, I’ve never seen the Moon so clearly.” Says Marie’s amazed father.

“Yes, it’s a special kind of glass, the professor had to have this one built specially in Belgium.” I tell him.

“If you look carefully, just above the lake in the distance, you’ll see Mars.” I continue, pointing Marie’s father in the right direction. “Well I never, it’s actually red.” Says Marie’s father in amazement.

“This comet you’ve been studying, where is it?” Asks Marie’s father, handing the telescope back to me. “In an hour or so, it should be visible, you might be able to see it with the naked eye, if you’re lucky.” I reply, placing the telescope back in its case.

“Not wishing to contradict you in front of your guests, my boy, but I can see it already.” Says the professor, standing on the balcony across the courtyard, which runs around the outside of the main telescope.

A short time later, Wilhelm, along with Marie’s father joins the professor. “That’s quite a sight” Says Marie’s father, leaning back as he gazes into the night sky. The Professor motions for Wilhelm’s small telescope, which he quickly points toward the patch of sky where the comet has been sighted for the past several months.

“Professor, should we perhaps go inside?” Asks Wilhelm. The professor pauses for a moment, telescope still pointing towards the sky. “Oh my, of course, we have company.” He says, handing the telescope back to Wilhelm.

The trio make their way into the main area of the observatory, the far wall of which is covered in arcane looking star charts, and a bewildering collection of papers, which contain equally bizarre looking equations.

“Professor Holm, this is Pierre, my fiancé’s father.” Says Wilhelm, attempting to introduce him before the professor becomes too absorbed in his work.

“Welcome.” Says the Professor. “Please, call me Albert.” He continues, handing Wilhelm his telescope back. “Have you made any progress?” Asks Wilhelm, noting the appearance of a few new pages on the far wall.

“Yes I believe so.” Says Albert, moving towards the rear wall. Pierre, his curiosity getting the better of him, takes a peek through the eyepiece of the main telescope, currently aimed at Mars.

“An amazing device you have here.” Says Pierre, stepping down from the telescope’s eyepiece.
“Thank you.” Says Albert, scribbling a new piece of information onto a fresh piece of paper.” Pierre takes a glance at all the information covering the wall, now in front of him.

“What does all this mean?” He asks. “It’s a distance calculation.” Says the professor, before Wilhelm has chance to explain. “To put it simply, we are seeing the object as it was ten hours ago.” Says Wilhelm, after glancing at the sheets of paper. “Exactly, and to put that into perspective for you, we see the sun during the daytime as it was eight minutes ago.” Continues Albert.

Before Pierre, or anyone else can think what to say next, a blinding white light fills the night sky, bursting into the observatory, bringing everything into the kind of sharp detail usually reserved for daylight.

Hello Kodemunkey. In my humble opinion:

( ) = suggest cutting.

highlighted = suggesting a problem.

July 1913

Vårn Observatory

My name is Wilhelm Von Krieger, junior astronomer at the Vårn Telescope high in the hills above the Village from which the telescope takes its name. In amongst my duties at the observatory, I Have time to myself which I fill with studying natural history, particularly the local plant life and insects that accompany them.

Perhaps: When my busy work schedule allows me the time I study natural history, in particular the local plant and insect life.

Midday

With the professor gone for a couple of days, I have some time to myself for the first time in nearly a month. (Which has been spent searching) During this period I have searched for a comet, that an observatory in New Zealand discovered (on one of their photographic plates back in March.)

This is a little contradicary. First he's studying plants and now a comet? suggest you tie these two elements into on para.

Some movement on the road caught my attention; long enough for the sunlight to focus on a page in my notebook through my magnifying glass, catching it alight. I make my way to the road, my sketchbook still smouldering. (cute, but does it advance the story?)

The local postman, an ancient man of indeterminate age,((no one was certain of his exact age)) (made) makes his way slowly along the road, sitting on a small sled, being pulled by a pair of large Swiss Mountain Dogs. “Good day, young sir.” Says the postman, opening his mail sack.
If he's on a sled I assume the road is snow covered. If so, you should mention it.

“I’ve a telegram for you.” He says, handing a blue envelope to me. “Marie has been asking after you again.” (Continues the postman.)

"I've a telegram for you," he says, handing me a blue envelope.

7th July 1913

It’s cloudy today, not the best weather for astronomical observations so I have taken myself into the village, which is directly below the observatory

“There you are,” Says her mother, as I step into the Inn, “I’d almost forgotten what you looked like.” (She says,) With a wink and a toss of her head she indicated (indicating that) Marie was working in the courtyard. I found her a few moments later, supervising a delivery of some sort, which was being unloaded from a truck.

“I’m sorry I’ve not been able to visit for a while,.” I say apologetically, keeping my distance while Marie inspects a couple of newly delivered crates. A little abrupt. Perhaps a short description of her might be in order?

New person need new para.

“It isn’t your fault,.” She says, using a crowbar to open one of the crates.

“These are fine.” She says to the truck driver after inspecting the contents (for a while, who motions for) She tells a pair of strong looking men to unload the crates.

“Yes, I know, but...” Begins Wilhelm, before being interrupted by Marie, “I said it’s fine.” Says Marie, handing him a stack of plates from the crate to take inside. Confusing and possibly unnecessary.

“I suppose you’ll be staying for dinner?” Sounds like she's talking to him and not her mother. Asks Marie’s mother; in a tone that suggests she isn’t too receptive to the idea.

New para
“Of course he will.” Says Marie, placing the stack of plates on a table.

Okay, I'm going to stop here. I hope you get the point.

6pm

“So, what have you been doing up in that observatory?” Asks Marie’s father, pouring me some coffee after dinner, “Most of my time has been taken up with helping the professor, everything else is just normal everyday tasks.” I say, before taking a sip of coffee.

“If you would like, I could see if the professor would allow me to give you a tour.” I say, hoping that Marie’s mother would think him less of a layabout. “I, for one would like that very much.” Says Marie’s father, glancing over at Marie’s mother.

14th June 1913

10pm

“And if you look through the telescope, you’ll see the Sea of Tranquillity.” I say, handing a small telescope to Marie’s father. “I must say, this telescope of yours is wonderful, I’ve never seen the Moon so clearly.” Says Marie’s amazed father.

“Yes, it’s a special kind of glass, the professor had to have this one built specially in Belgium.” I tell him.

“If you look carefully, just above the lake in the distance, you’ll see Mars.” I continue, pointing Marie’s father in the right direction. “Well I never, it’s actually red.” Says Marie’s father in amazement.

“This comet you’ve been studying, where is it?” Asks Marie’s father, handing the telescope back to me. “In an hour or so, it should be visible, you might be able to see it with the naked eye, if you’re lucky.” I reply, placing the telescope back in its case.

“Not wishing to contradict you in front of your guests, my boy, but I can see it already.” Says the professor, standing on the balcony across the courtyard, which runs around the outside of the main telescope.

A short time later, Wilhelm, along with Marie’s father joins the professor. “That’s quite a sight” Says Marie’s father, leaning back as he gazes into the night sky. The Professor motions for Wilhelm’s small telescope, which he quickly points toward the patch of sky where the comet has been sighted for the past several months.

“Professor, should we perhaps go inside?” Asks Wilhelm. The professor pauses for a moment, telescope still pointing towards the sky. “Oh my, of course, we have company.” He says, handing the telescope back to Wilhelm.

The trio make their way into the main area of the observatory, the far wall of which is covered in arcane looking star charts, and a bewildering collection of papers, which contain equally bizarre looking equations.

“Professor Holm, this is Pierre, my fiancé’s father.” Says Wilhelm, attempting to introduce him before the professor becomes too absorbed in his work.

“Welcome.” Says the Professor. “Please, call me Albert.” He continues, handing Wilhelm his telescope back. “Have you made any progress?” Asks Wilhelm, noting the appearance of a few new pages on the far wall.

“Yes I believe so.” Says Albert, moving towards the rear wall. Pierre, his curiosity getting the better of him, takes a peek through the eyepiece of the main telescope, currently aimed at Mars.

“An amazing device you have here.” Says Pierre, stepping down from the telescope’s eyepiece.
“Thank you.” Says Albert, scribbling a new piece of information onto a fresh piece of paper.” Pierre takes a glance at all the information covering the wall, now in front of him.

“What does all this mean?” He asks. “It’s a distance calculation.” Says the professor, before Wilhelm has chance to explain. “To put it simply, we are seeing the object as it was ten hours ago.” Says Wilhelm, after glancing at the sheets of paper. “Exactly, and to put that into perspective for you, we see the sun during the daytime as it was eight minutes ago.” Continues Albert.

Before Pierre, or anyone else can think what to say next, a blinding white light fills the night sky, bursting into the observatory, bringing everything into the kind of sharp detail usually reserved for daylight.

I hope you appreciate that my comment, although perhaps not flattering, are intended to be positive and constructive.

You've got some really basic problems with this, not the least of which is that nothing much is happening. If this is your opening chapter you need to present it in such a way that compels the reader to continue on. It doesn't.

Watch your use of capitals. The story is filled with out of place capitals.

Look out for tense changes.

I've highlighted dialogue point that you need to address.

EG. "It's good to see you. She says. This is grammatically incorrect.
Try, "It's good to see you," she says.

Watch out for these; they are very basic mistakes.

Kodemunkey, you might have a story here but you are bogging it down with irrelevancies that distract. I suggest you take another look at it, rewrite to correct your grammar, tighten it up so something is happening, and resubmit.

Of course, you are free to ignore all of the above if you wish.

Good luck, and keep writing.

July 1913
Vårn Observatory

I don't like this opening very much. The first sentence should stop at "high." The rest of the sentence doesn't really matter. If your a junior astronomer would you really spend your time studding natural history? Also not sure about being a biologist with natural history and astronomy. Maybe it just needs a little re-work.

Midday

With the professor gone for a couple of days, I have some time to myself for the first time in nearly a month. (but didn't you write an earleir passage) Which has been spent searching for a comet, that an observatory in New Zealand discovered on one of their photographic plates back in March.

"Most of the time was spent searching for a comet would work better.

Some movement on the road caught my attention; long enough for the sunlight to focus on a page in my notebook through my magnifying glass, catching it alight. I make my way to the road, my sketchbook still smouldering.

I am lost here. When did you start heading outside? Your walking a writing in your journal?

The local postman, an ancient man (no one was certain of his exact age) made his way slowly along the road, sitting on a small sled, being pulled by a pair of large Swiss Mountain Dogs. “Good day, young sir.” Says the postman, opening his mail sack.

“I’ve a telegram for you.” He says, handing a blue envelope to me. “Marie has been asking after you again.” Continues the postman.

7th July 1913

“There you are,” Says her mother (I don't like this as a reader, whose mother? are we talking about the same character?), as I step into the Inn, “I’d almost forgotten what you looked like.” She says, indicating that Marie was working in the courtyard (why would this indicate she was working in the court yard?). I found her a few moments later, supervising a delivery of some sort, which was being unloaded from a truck.

“I’m sorry I’ve not been able to visit for a while.” I say apologetically, keeping my distance while Marie inspects a couple of newly delivered crates. “It isn’t your fault.” She says, using a crowbar to open one of the crates.

“These are fine” She says to the truck driver after inspecting the contents for a while, who motioning for a pair of strong looking men to unload the crates.

“Yes, I know, but...” Begins Wilhelm, before being interrupted by Marie, “I said it’s fine.” Says Marie, handing him a stack of plates from the crate to take inside.

“I suppose you’ll be staying for dinner?” Asks Marie’s mother (Maybe "yelled Marie's mother at me); in a tone that suggests she isn’t too receptive to the idea. “Of course he will.” Says Marie, placing the stack of plates on a table.

6pm

14th June 1913

10pm

“And if you look through the telescope, you’ll see the Sea of Tranquillity.” I say, handing a small telescope to Marie’s father. “I must say, this telescope of yours is wonderful, I’ve never seen the Moon so clearly.” Says Marie’s amazed father. (shouldn't the parents have a name by now?)

“Yes, it’s a special kind of glass, the professor had to have this one built specially in Belgium.” I tell him. (I personally would have said University of Arizona since the Hubble telescope lenses where made their, just a fun fact that wouldn't match anything :))

(Wouldn't he need to yell it if he was across the court yard that would be in front of the large telescope?)

(Isn't Wilhelm a worker and not part of the family? Who is Wilhelm?)

(So Wilhelm is the main character? oh my I am a little lost)

Anything that is Underlined I thought should be removed.

Don't meant to sound harsh, all my comments are from my preferences as a reader.

I agree with Tedford. One problem I have is that I didn't understand who the main character was and you seem to jump POV's. The first couple of paragraphs and the way the prologue was written it seemed that this was a journal entry. Who would remember exactly every detail though of a conversation?

If you asked me if I would continue to read, I would say no. I am just too lost, and buckled down. Especially your opening paragraph.

Arkrose, what do the lenses for the hubble telescope have to do with an observatory in switzerland in 1913?

Arkrose, what do the lenses for the hubble telescope have to do with an observatory in switzerland in 1913?

Well you did say that the glass had to be shipped from Belgium, and it reminded me that University of Arizona is one of the top telescope lens maker in the world. It has nothing to do with your story though obliviously, that's why I said that it was just a fun fact that wouldn't match anything in your story.

I suppose it might later on, thanks for the nugget of info, i'll post more later.w

I suppose it might later on, thanks for the nugget of info, i'll post more later.w

No problem, since I attended University of Arizona I know some weird facts.

Good luck on your story!

All right, my first comment is with Vårn. Swiss Germans have an umlaut ¨, but no å. That is, I believe, reserved for Scandinavians.

Generalised problem with speech attribution. The accepted form is:- “There you are,” says her mother, as I step into the Inn, “I’d almost forgotten what you looked like,” she says, indicating that Marie was working in the courtyard. (although I would have avoided the second "she says" as clunky.) If there is to be a direct speech attribution afterwards, finish the dialogue with a comma before the quotation marks, and the next word does not take a capital letter.

“Professor, should we perhaps go inside?” asks Wilhelm.

The professor pauses for a moment, telescope still pointing towards the sky. “Oh my, of course; we have company,” he says, handing the telescope back to Wilhelm.

When you have two different speakers it is customary to split change paragraph at the change of voice.
[/quote]
Well, here i am again with a re written prologue. Still set in the Swiss observatory with Wilhelm.

Incedentally, i couldn't at the time of writing think of a decent name for a swiss village, so any suggestions are welcome.

After this section will come another one set on an alien teaching vessel, which is used as a contrast to the alien ship that caused the flash. (The prologue is fairly long now, might even scrap the term.)

July 1913
Vårn Observatory

My name is Wilhelm Von Krieger, junior astronomer at the Vårn Telescope high in the hills above the Village from which the telescope takes its name. In amongst my duties at the observatory, I
no capital "H"
Have time to myself which I fill with studying natural history, particularly the local plant life and insects that accompany them.

Midday

With the professor gone for a couple of days, I have some time to myself for the first time in nearly a month. Which has been spent searching for a comet,
no comma
that an observatory in New Zealand discovered on one of their photographic plates back in March.

Some movement on the road caught my attention;
no semicolon
long enough for the sunlight to focus on a page in my notebook through my magnifying glass, catching it alight. I make my way to the road, my sketchbook still smouldering.

The local postman, an ancient man (no one was certain of his exact age) made his way slowly along the road, sitting on a small sled, being pulled by a pair of large
why capitals? Swiss mountain dog (St. Bernard, Berner Sennenhund?) is a description, not a race.
Swiss Mountain Dogs. “Good day, young sir,says the postman, opening his mail sack.

“I’ve a telegram for you,he says, handing a blue envelope to me.

“Marie has been asking after you again,Ccontinues the postman.
perhaps "he continues". to avoid too many repetitions of "postman".
7th July 1913

It’s cloudy today, not the best weather for astronomical observations
comma
so I have taken myself into the village, which is directly below the observatory
Full stop

“There you are,” says her mother,
no comma
as I step into the
Why capital "I"?
Inn, “I’d almost forgotten what you looked like,” she says, indicating that Marie was working in the courtyard. I found her a few moments later, supervising a delivery of some sort, which was being unloaded from a truck.
not sure about "truck" back then.
“I’m sorry I’ve not been able to visit for a while,” I say apologetically, keeping my distance while Marie inspects a couple of newly delivered crates.
paragraph
“It isn’t your fault,she says, using a crowbar to open one of the crates.

“These are fine,she says to the truck driver after inspecting the contents for a while, who motions for a pair of strong looking men to unload the crates.
“Yes, I know, but...” begins Wilhelm
until here it's been first person, and suddenly the"I" becomes "Wilhelm"
, before being interrupted by Marie, “I said it’s fine,says Marie, handing him a stack of plates from the crate to take inside.

“I suppose you’ll be staying for dinner?” asks Marie’s mother;
no semicolon
in a tone that suggests she isn’t too receptive to the idea.
paragraph
“Of course he will,says Marie, placing the stack of plates on a table.

6pm

“So, what have you been doing up in that observatory?” asks Marie’s father, pouring me some coffee after dinner,
paragraph
“Most of my time has been taken up with helping the professor, everything else is just normal everyday tasks.” I say, before taking a sip of coffee.

“If you would like, I could see if the professor would allow me to give you a tour,” I say, hoping that Marie’s mother would think him
"him"? Or "me"
less of a layabout.
paragraph
“I, for one would like that very much,says Marie’s father, glancing over at Marie’s mother.
possibly just "her", ratherthan the second "Marie's"
14th June 1913
10pm

“And if you look through the telescope, you’ll see the Sea of Tranquillity,” I say, handing a small telescope to Marie’s father.
paragraph
“I must say, this telescope of yours is wonderful, I’ve never seen the Moon so clearly,says Marie’s amazed father.

“Yes, it’s a special kind of glass,
semicolon
the professor had to have this one built specially in Belgium.” I tell him.

“If you look carefully, just above the lake in the distance, you’ll see Mars,” I continue, pointing Marie’s father in the right direction.
paragraph
“Well I never, it’s actually red,says Marie’s father in amazement.

“This comet you’ve been studying, where is it?” asks Marie’s father, handing the telescope back to me.
paragraph
“In an hour or so, it should be visible,
semicolon
you might be able to see it with the naked eye, if you’re lucky,” I reply, placing the telescope back in its case.

“Not wishing to contradict you in front of your guests, my boy, but I can see it already,says the professor, standing on the balcony across the courtyard, which runs around the outside of the main telescope.

A short time later, Wilhelm
again third person
, along with Marie’s father
comma
joins the professor. “That’s quite a sight” Says Marie’s father, leaning back as he gazes into the night sky. The Professor motions for Wilhelm’s small telescope, which he quickly points toward the patch of sky where the comet has been sighted for the past several months.

“Professor, should we perhaps go inside?” asks Wilhelm. The professor pauses for a moment, telescope still pointing towards the sky. “Oh my, of course,
semicolon (I think)
we have company,he says, handing the telescope back to Wilhelm.

The trio make their
ourway?
way into the main area of the observatory, the far wall of which is covered in arcane looking star charts, and a bewildering collection of papers, which contain equally bizarre looking equations.

“Professor Holm, this is Pierre, my fiancé’s father,” says Wilhelm, attempting to introduce him before the professor becomes too absorbed in his work.

“Welcome.says the Professor. “Please, call me Albert,he continues, handing Wilhelm his telescope back.
He'd given it back three paragraphs ago.
“Have you made any progress?” asks Wilhelm,
third person
noting the appearance of a few new pages on the far wall.

“Yes I believe so,says Albert, moving towards the rear wall. Pierre, his curiosity getting the better of him, takes a peek through the eyepiece of the main telescope, currently aimed at Mars.

“An amazing device you have here,says Pierre, stepping down from the telescope’s eyepiece.
“Thank you,says Albert, scribbling a new piece of information onto a fresh piece of paper.”
No quotation marks
Pierre takes a glance at all the information covering the wall, now in front of him.

“What does all this mean?” he asks.
paragraph
“It’s a distance calculation,says the professor, before Wilhelm has chance to explain. “To put it simply, we are seeing the object as it was ten hours ago,says Wilhelm,
two third persons
after glancing at the sheets of paper. “Exactly, and to put that into perspective for you, we see the sun during the daytime as it was eight minutes ago,continues Albert.

Possibly too many direct attributions for a diary type structure; it's pretty rare to transcribe exactly what is said.

Where in Switzerland would you like this observatory? French speaking or German (Wilhelm would presumably come from a German speaking region, but, Pierre, a local, a French; the lake suggests no excessive altitude. Possibly Vérossaz, with Wilhelm coming from the adjacent Berner Oberland?

Observatoire de Vérossaz
Anniversaires, sorties dès 5 personnes
1891 Vérossaz
Tél. 079 206 31 57
Mobile 079 206 31 57
info@verobservatoire.ch
Verobservatoire

A 10 minutes de la plaine du Rhône, sur le plateau de Vérossaz, dans un cadre merveilleux entouré par les massifs majestueux des Dents-de-Morcle et des Dents-du-Midi, l'Observatoire de Vérossaz vous accueille pour observer les incroyables merveilles de notre ciel. Afin de faciliter l'accès à l'Observatoire à plus de monde, le staff ouvre les installations sans rendez-vous préalable un vendredi par mois, lorsque la lune est montante. Possibilité de l'ouvrir également sur rendez-vous dès 5 personnes (anniversaire, sortie, etc ...)

Thanks for the help with the name and location i think the one you suggested works quite well.

Ah, just noticed. Wilhelm isn't Swiss, is he? (no "von" in Switzerland; he's German nobility) So the "Pierre" is the deciding factor, and he can be anywhere in Suisse Romande. (Note that it's very pretty where I've put him, and the existence of an observatory, even if it is much more recent, demonstrates that the region is suitable)

Oooh. a big refracting telescope.

Yeah, Wilhelm started out as nobility, but i couldn't work it into the story well enough at the time, so for the moment it won't be a plot point for about twenty or thirty years in story.

First, when I started reading I thought I was going to like this very much - I positively loved the first sentence. I got bogged down, though. I think it needs some careful editing for consistency. I like the setting and the characters very much.

July 1913

Vårn Observatory

My name is Wilhelm Von Krieger, junior astronomer at the Vårn Telescope high in the hills above the Village from which the telescope takes its name. In amongst my duties at the observatory, I Have time to myself which I fill with studying natural history, particularly the local plant life and insects that accompany them. [should this be "it" rather than "them" - ie: the insects that accompany the local plant life?]

Midday

With the professor gone for a couple of days, I have some time to myself for the first time in nearly a month. Which has been spent searching for a comet, that an observatory in New Zealand discovered on one of their photographic plates back in March. [How about "This has been spent searching..." rather than Which, which breaks the flow somehow. I'd also get rid of "back in"]

[This switch was a bit difficult for me - it changes abruptly between diary and direct description - also the tense gets inconsistent (starts off as past, with "caught" and then goes to present "I make my way to the road") Perhaps a simple transition would make this switch easier on the reader, e.g. "I put down my pen and look out at the road. Some movement catches my attention...."]

[other people dealt with the commas at the end of direct speech stuff, so I won't]
[Having reached the end of the section: I don't really understand the point of the switch to action from diary - it's not like anything really dramatic happened when he went to meet the postman. What would the effect of making the whole section diary be? Why not "The postman has brought me a telegram" and then you could have his thoughts about it, and his thoughts about Marie asking for him.]

7th July 1913

“There you are,” Says her mother, as I step into the Inn, “I’d almost forgotten what you looked like.” She says, indicating that Marie was working in the courtyard. I found her a few moments later, supervising a delivery of some sort, which was being unloaded from a truck.
[why not have the mother say that Marie is working in the courtyard? otherwise for some reason it breaks the flow - not sure why]

[I think this would flow better as: "...opening one of the crates with a crowbar." but I don't know why I think that so it might be personal prejdice].

“These are fine.” She says to the truck driver after inspecting the contents for a while, who motions for a pair of strong looking men to unload the crates. [He motions for ...]

[eeep. we've switched from first person to third]

“I suppose you’ll be staying for dinner?” Asks Marie’s mother; in a tone that suggests she isn’t too receptive to the idea. “Of course he will.” Says Marie, placing the stack of plates on a table.

[for what it's worth, I agree there are too many attributions in the dialogue - you don't need as many "she saids" eg the last bit could read:
"I suppose you'll be staying for dinner?" Marie's mother clearly isn't receptive to the idea.
"Of course he will." Marie places the stack of plates on a table.

with no "she said" and we still know exactly who's talking

Also, isn't W carrying the plates?]

6pm

[first to third person again, unless you mean Marie's father is a layabout]

14th June 1913

10pm

[I'd drop "amazed" - also by this time talking about "Marie's father" is getting awkward. How about giving them a surname and calling him Herr Whatever?]

[amazed again. no need to say it - what he says shows us]

A short time later, Wilhelm, along with Marie’s father joins the professor.

Third person again.

“That’s quite a sight” Says Marie’s father, leaning back as he gazes into the night sky. The Professor motions for Wilhelm’s small telescope, which he quickly points toward the patch of sky where the comet has been sighted for the past several months.

I didn't understand who - do they have new company? perhaps prof could make it clear "wouldn't want your guest getting cold" just so we're not expecting more people - maybe marie for example - to show up.

but this is presumably Wilhelm's pov and to him they are not bewildering or bizarre.

fiance should be fiancee, I think, because she's female.

Lovely ending.

General comments:

Rather a lot of amazement and detail about astronomy in here - perhaps some could be retained for later?
What's the purpose of this chapter? Introductions? I like the tension that Marie's mother thinks W is layabout (although she's awfully friendly to him when she first sees him) - and I really liked Marie - she can use a crowbar.

But I don't know if there's enough happening here to keep someone engaged. What if you started the chapter with the blinding white light? could you work in the background you need to get across? also -what happened to the telegram?

As I said at the top, I like the tone. I like Wilhelm and I like Marie. I want to know what happens to them.

Last edited:
There's plenty more of Marie and Wilhelm. The next section i wrote details life aboard an alien ship, similar to the one that produced the flash.

Here's some more, this section has the introduction to a training ship for the aliens, along with more of Wilhelm and Marie's story, and an introduction to the Foundation of Peace and Brotherhood.

Also, Marie's mother is named Lisette, and is for this draft a placeholder name.

As some of you have doubtless picked up on my habit of random punctuation and slightly man handling of the english language, i feel i should tell you that i have mild dyslexia. Not that i'm letting that get in the way of writing :)

Planetary System LT-687

(Vega)

Education Vessel 1138-B

A large vessel drifts through an asteroid field, its shields a near constant aurora as they absorb the impact of countless particles of debris. “Navigator, this was a poor choice, do you not think?” Asks a creature, standing in front of a view screen, {which displays the current route of the vessel.} Perhaps i should remove this?

“No, I do not.” Says the navigator, a little defiantly. “This was the most direct route to our destination, based on available data.” Continues the navigator, manipulating a device.

“And how recent is this data?” Asks the creature, standing in such a way that the glare of the display casts him in silhouette. “The most recent drift charts for this system are six seasons old, yet are accurate to within a tolerance that even you should find acceptable.” Replies the navigator.

“Is that so?” Asks the figure, still in shadow. The figure is silent for a time, long enough for the usual hum of ship conversation over the intercoms and around the bridge to make the crew forget about the presence of the figure.

“I do not appreciate your tone, navigator.” Says the figure, causing several nearby crew to lose concentration on their tasks.

“If I might interrupt.” Says another member of the navigation team. “We, as a group came to the decision that our amended route would get us to the destination a full five hours under the allocated time budget for this portion of the mission.”

The navigation member pauses for a moment, manipulating a small cluster of switches just above its head. “As you can see from the data present on the display beside you, the neural network agrees with my team, and that’s all there is to it.” Finishes the team member.

“Very good.” Says the creature, still standing in front of the view screen. “Navigation teams five through eight, you may stand down.” It announces next.

Crew Habitat Pods

“You know, you didn’t have to show the instructor up like that.” Says 5.0, the leader of team five.

8.7, the newest member of team eight, merely shrugs “Well, I felt like it, and so I did.” It says, entering a torus shaped pod, which has just emerged from the floor.

“You’re lucky you didn’t get blasted and then reconstituted into a protein scrubber, that wouldn’t go down well on your service record, would it?” Asks 5.0 rhetorically, 8.7 makes a “don’t-really-give-a-damn” style gesture at 5.0 as his pod closes.

A section of the torus shaped pods slide from their horizontal position on the floor, to a vertical position against the wall. Each one opens without a sound, the figures inside stepping sleepily out. The newly emerged group, around twenty in total, make their way, in a stiff, autonomous fashion to a sunken, semi circular area some six meters in length. As the figures stand in this area, a large piece of equipment lowers itself from the ceiling, stopping half a meter above the figures, which stand mindlessly below.

Next, two large metallic arms grow out of the machine, revealing a series of baseball sized projections, which in turn produce their own, thin pieces of machinery, which emit a blindingly bright, blue light.

With its job finished, the machine retreats back into the ceiling, and the figures below are forced into a sitting position. The next piece of machinery is a long, cylindrical shaped device, which like the previous machine comes to a stop, a short way above the now seated figures.

The new device splits in two with a hissing sound, and twenty very sharp needles attached an equal number of injectors filled with a viscous pink substance reveal themselves, like the teeth of some ferocious creature. These needles puncture the skin between the third and fourth eye clusters of each figure simultaneously, injecting the substance into the seated figures.

Bridge

“What can you tell me about this system?” Says the tall figure from before, now walking to and fro along the edge of a semicircular pit a short distance from the navigation area of the bridge. One of the beings, assigned to Science Team five flicks through a series of information sheets displayed in front of it. “There’s a lot of debris in this system.”

Says the team member. The figure standing above lets out a sigh of exasperation. “I realise that the race your true self comes from is known for its brevity, but you must remember that you need not continue to behave in that way.” Says the figure, resting the elaborately decorated staff it carries on the deck plating, which responds to contact with the deck, releasing a strange sort of clicking hiss.

“Yes…sorry…I…will…try and remember that.” Says the team member, momentarily losing its train of thought. “Now then, would any of you care to speculate about the nature of all this debris?” Continues the teacher, moving around so as to cast its gaze across the collected science teams. “Perhaps some of it is from the expansion of the star?” offers a team member, one of the quieter ones in the group.

“Yes, that’s one source, can anyone think of any others?” Asks the teacher, hoping for a little more input from the other portions of the science teams.

Crew Habitat Pods,

Clone Activation Sector

The newly activated clones, still seated in their original positions are a maze of wiring and tubes, which are tasked with constructing the various internal structures that sustain the clones during their lifetimes. Every thirty seconds, a floating robot about the size of a coffee maker floats past, scanning the clones for any signs of distress. It pauses in front of one clone, which to most casual observers looks no different to the others (as they all tend to) and begins a series of quick scans, much as it has done the past ten thousand times, and will continue to do so, until the robot is recycled.

It scans as normal, not noticing that the clone has awakened prematurely, and is brushed aside, colliding with some other apparatus, {which is} Perhaps remove?

attached to the still lifeless form of another clone. The newly awakened clone proceeds to remove the tangled forest of machines and cables that cover it, revealing the mottled silver skin beneath.

Up in the clone observation section of the infirmary, alarms sound, rousing the medical engineer from an experiment it was conducting. After watching the unfolding scene for a minute or so, the medical engineer inputs a series of commands into a console beside the monitoring equipment, and climbs down from the raised platform the experiment is being conducted on.

A short time later, the prematurely awakened clone arrives in a black, open topped tube carried by a large but agile looking machine, which places the clone into a vertical space in the wall in front of it.

As the machine springs into life with various hums and bands of colour, a near encyclopaedia of information streams into the medical engineer’s computer terminal, most of it is fairly standard information, chemical composition of the skeletal structure and other fairly mundane titbits.

New information trickles into the terminal, most of which is warnings about portions of the clone that are unfinished, though these can be easily rectified, one piece of information truly stands out from the rest.

Medical observation area 3

“Would you kindly repeat that last piece of information?” Asks the captain, looking out of the observation window at the slumbering form of the revived clone, {which is} being scanned centimetre by centimetre by the blue light of an overhead scanner. The information scrawls itself over the observation window, some of it scrolling at a normal reading speed, other information scrolls faster, almost unreadable to the untrained eye.

“As you may well know, captain.” Says a higher-ranking representative of the medical staff aboard ship “The majority of the crews aboard are the results of mind scans from qualified individuals all over the claimed expanses.”

“Yes, I’m aware of that.” Says the captain flatly, folding its arms. “It would seem, that in this case the information is protected by a command level cipher.” Says the medical staff representative, handing a datapad to the captain.

“Your cipher outranks mine in medical matters.” Says the captain, becoming annoyed with all the small niggling details of multiple trivial issues he has to deal with.

“Not in this instance.” Says the representative “I am locked out of the information.” The captain looks at the datapad in annoyance. “Very well.” He says with a sigh, walking out of the facility.
The previous two crew members written about could be considered nerds, at least that's how i intended them to sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - I am zipping past (and had to catch up on Wilhelm and Marie), but just to say that the way you report speech needs a little work. Below is an example from the start of this piece.

I think crispenycate mentions this below, but if you're having things like "he said" after quotations, you need to be careful with what you have in the quotation. I'm suddenly not 100% sure about how you should follow a question mark in a quotation, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I get it horribly wrong.

(also, I think writers tend to be encouraged to use "said" whenever they can - so "said" instead of asked and replied, in this example).

“Navigator, this was a poor choice, do you not think?” Asks a creature, standing in front of a view screen, {which displays the current route of the vessel.} Perhaps i should remove this?

“No, I do not.” Says the navigator, a little defiantly. “This was the most direct route to our destination, based on available data.” Continues the navigator, manipulating a device.

“And how recent is this data?” Asks the creature, standing in such a way that the glare of the display casts him in silhouette. “The most recent drift charts for this system are six seasons old, yet are accurate to within a tolerance that even you should find acceptable.” Replies the navigator.

I would suggest you could sort out the dialogue this way:

“Navigator, this was a poor choice, do you not think?” says a creature, standing in front of a view screen.

“No, I do not,” says the navigator, a little defiantly. “This was the most direct route to our destination, based on available data.”

(note: comma at the end of the quotation. I got rid of the "continues the navigator" because I think it weakens the impact of the exchange, but if you're going to keep it, it would be:

“This was the most direct route to our destination, based on available data,” continues the navigator, manipulating a device.

and would be better as:

“This was the most direct route to our destination, based on available data,” it continues, manipulating a device.

because otherwise you have "the navigator" twice in very close proximity)

“And how recent is this data?” asks the creature, standing in such a way that the glare of the display casts him in silhouette.

“The most recent drift charts for this system are six seasons old, yet are accurate to within a tolerance that even you should find acceptable,” replies the navigator.

(or "says" in both bits).

I hope that makes sense - I appreciate that in trying to help I have produced something that looks horribly confusing.

More later.

Kodemonkey:

Others may have commented on your style of scene hopping (I may have done it myself in previous threads) in any case here goes :-

I'm afraid I think it is distracting. I can't recall ever having seen it before in any book I've ever read. This may be due to my limited reading but I find it painful to read.

Readers don't usually need this scene setting. They normally get the idea of who's where and what's what from the action/dialogue in the paragraphs/chapters as they read.

TEIN

Another mini-reply, I'm afraid. And a confession: I don't tend to read much science fiction anymore, so I'm probably a little out of my depth.

The creatures on the space ship are quite hard to tell apart. I like where you name them - could they be named earlier?

And you're a little inconsistent between "it" and "him",which brings me to my second point: do they consider themselves to be "it"? Calling them "it" or "the figure" somehow made them really alien (which I realise they are, just alien also in the sense of unsympathetic), and gets confusing.

I also found the quick movement between scenes difficult to follow. I was just getting interested in 8.7 and 5.0 and then they go away and there's something else to learn about.

Hope that's helpful.

“You’re lucky you didn’t get blasted and then reconstituted into a protein scrubber, that wouldn’t go down well on your service record, would it?” Asks 5.0 rhetorically, 8.7 makes a “don’t-really-give-a-damn” style gesture at 5.0 as his pod closes.
Semicolon after "scrubber", full stop after "rhetorically"

entering a torus shaped pod
I'd hyphenate "torus-shaped" or use "toroid"

I'm not going through all of this one for the speech attributions.

I was expecting you to use the burning glass incident earlier to explain how the much larger telescope lens concentrated the flash to set fire to one of the charts on the wall. I suppose it would be diverging by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.