Production finally starts on The Hobbit films: Updates!

Yup, was in the local papers that filming had started in Wellington yesterday(Tuesday for us down here)

Whilst getting over-eager about something generally leads to "P'Teppic's Theorem of Inverse Expectation", my first reaction was "Yeah, yeah, yeah!"

Check out Peter Jacksons page on Facebook, he has placed the first video blog of The Hobbit on it and the first day of shooting.

Went to his Facebook page and really enjoyed the video blog. I'm really excited about The Hobbit.

Last edited:
But... what? Legolas?

Don't worry about it, Mouse. It's all happened before, about 10 years ago. Appearances of (certain) elves in places they didn't belong (like in the Flight to the Ford and the Battle of Helm's Deep), characters changed beyond recognition, large parts of plot hacked away, etc.

Just have some cheese, and relax... It's all you can do, really.

There's nothing to say that he wasn't at Rivendell though (for example)?
As long as he doesn't start shield-surfing....

But... what? Legolas?

Mirkwood. Bilbo and the Dwarves go there; he lives there.

Considering that he's the son of the Elf King who captures the Dwarves, it wouldn't be at all surprising if he makes a brief appearance, in his father's hall, or at the Battle of Five Armies.

Although I expect they've lured Orlando Bloom back for something more than a cameo.

Is he definitely playing Legolas? Given that Orlando Bloom will have aged somewhat, and given the agelessness of Elves, maybe they want him to play the Elf King??

I felt no excitement about this film when it was announced, but I have great childhood memories of the book. In Primary School my teacher would read it to us at the end of the day. When she finished it the class liked it so much they asked for it to be read over again. Now, I'm quite looking forward to the film. Is there any idea of the release date yet?

It certainly sounds like he will be playing Legolas, although there is just the tiniest bit of ambiguity in what Jackson has announced:

"10 years on, I’m thrilled to be working with Orlando again. I look older – he doesn’t! Orlando created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas, and we’re excited to be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more."

Long time since I read The Hobbit, but didn't the dwarves all have different coloured hoods? Or am I thinking of something else? Not that I'm complaining that they haven't done that, cos it would've looked a bit daft anyway.

Mouse: Yes, they did all have different colour hoods. Thorin's, which I believe was sky-blue, also had a silver tassel.

Back