Scott Lynch

Lacedaemonian

A Plume of Smoke
51f7nXSXNWL._SS500_.jpg

Republic of Thieves, will it ever happen?

Having read Lies of Locke Lamora and the sequel, Red Skies Under a Red Sea, I have been eagerly awaiting the third in a supposed seven book sequence, The Republic of Thieves. I have read rumours on the internet that claim this series will never be complete etc etc and I was hoping that perhaps some informed souls here might know more than Amazon reviewers and their filthy likes.

Scott Lynch has been having a pretty rough time of time, so I hear. Death in the family and break down of his marriage and depression. All of which has, understandably, being affecting the book's progress.

Third book has been repeatedly put back. I don't know what the date for it is at present. I think I last heard Autumn of this year, but it will probably be subject to change like previously.

He is a great writer and I hope he continues to write but in the mean time I wish him all the best with his personal problems. Life his hard.

I hope Mr. Lynch's fortunes take a turn for the better.

I'm now reading The lies of Locke Lamora and am saddened that the author's personal life seems to not be going well. He is a fantastic writer and it would be a shame for his work to suffer in the long run.
I wish him all the best.

Not cool to have that happening to anyone. never read his books, what's his style/stories like, who can you compare him to?

Hurm. I probably haven't read enough fantasy to be able to think of a good comparison. It is well worth reading the two books out at the moment, though. It's got a Venice-type, Renaissance-y setting, very colourful, very nitty gritty. The main characters are an entertaining bunch of tricksy conmen -- the first book is a mixture of their current exploits with flashbacks to their growing up and developement into the people they are. Some pretty big twists thrown in and damn brutal at times. But hilarious at others.

The sequel is similar but with pirates.

There's an interview on the Gollancz website where Scott says things are going much better for him now and lists a release date for the third book as November 2011. My understanding is that this is the current plan but some more slippage is possible.

Yeah, new update to retailers from Gollancz has said the book will be released on November 11th. So that's 11/11/11 ;)

I can't think of any direct comparison either, but at times it reminds me of Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books (because the protagonists are a mismatched pair of morally ambiguous scoundrels), Ocean's 11 (complex capers) and maybe Hobb's Liveship Traders (though that's probably due to the pirate elements in the second book more than anything). I've heard his city-building compared to China Mieville (though he's nowhere near as crazy). I can also see some similarities between Lynch and Joe Abercrombie, in that the characters are exceptionally flawed and the dialogue is very quick and casual. I feel like there's another comparable series that's eluding me at the moment.

And I second Hoopy's description.

P.S. That cover looks awesome. An appearance from Sabetha?

P.S. That cover looks awesome. An appearance from Sabetha?

Oh indeed :D There was an extensive blurb kicking around a few years ago for this book that gave away a hell of a lot of spoilers. Thankfully I've forgotten most of them because it was so long ago, but Sabetha definitely appears :D

Not cool to have that happening to anyone. never read his books, what's his style/stories like, who can you compare him to?

George MacDonald Fraser, Jack Vance, Arturo Pérez-Reverte